Weekend Rides

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said before, it's my nature to jump into something in a big way. So my spin class bike group went for our Saturday fun coffee run. I didn't track the ride with MapMyRide as my phone doesn't seem to get good GPS data.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/136739977

We left around 7AM and returned to the trailhead by 10:30 with the coffee stop in Edwardsville, so I estimated about 3:30. I suspect we did about 2:30 of riding and an hour of coffee and other stops for the group.

oilBabe wanted to get into the action, so I mapped out a course for her and another couple starting and ending at a nice wood fired pizza place. This ride maps out to just over 10 miles. We did a bit more as we back-tracked some as we missed the turn to get back on the trail.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/137153821

What did you ride this weekend?

Nice!

Did some biking along the Grand River outside of Grand Rapids. Nothing serious though... rather slow paced through some cross-country ski trails which were a bit rough to bike on and only about 11-12 miles total.

The other nice thing is we have mimosas after the coffee ride. So ride 15 miles, have some coffee, ride 19 more miles, have some mimosas
smile.gif

It was a beautiful day for a dozen or so 40+ somethings to take to the trails.

Good to hear! I always enjoy hearing of new cyclists getting enthused about riding. I hope and the Mrs. enjoy many more rides.

When I was younger, I rode quite a bit on my discount store bike. Of course, my small town wasn't too much of an issue, traffic wise.

Ditto in college. I would hop on the bike and head to Forest Park in St. Louis and ride the trails there to clear my head or just get some exercise. (When Army ROTC PT just wasn't enough!)

So the goal now is to do a "Century Ride" sometime this coming spring.

I don't know how much riding I'll do this winter, but with spin class, I'm sure I'll still be getting almost three hours of riding most weeks on the stationary bike.

Based on effort as measured by the MyZone heart rate monitor I wear to track my workouts, I get about the same amount of workout in the 45 minute spin class as I got in the 90 minute 10+ mile with my wife and friends on Sunday.

According to the data, I burned 840 kCal today while spinning for 45 minutes. On Sunday, I burned 756 kCal on the leisurely 10.x mile ride.

The MyZone records up to 16 hours of heart rate data and then uploads when I visit my home YMCA, e-mailing me a report. I just got my report today as it had enough time to upload everything it still had stored for the past week.

Sometimes I get the data right away, like I did for today's class. Other times, I don't get the data until later, like everything I did from Tuesday through Thursday, which was two spin classes, a 10 mile ride in the local sports park, and running with my daughter as we are doing couch to 5k to run a 5k on 10/6.

Of course I'm OCD, I'm on BITOG, it's a requirement here
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Good to hear! I always enjoy hearing of new cyclists getting enthused about riding. I hope and the Mrs. enjoy many more rides.

I did the bike leg in a sprint triathalon relay on Saturday (fastest bike time) and have ridden 65 miles since then. My 22 YO son won the tri by two minutes and my daughter ran a 1:29 half marathon on Sunday.

Weather is perfect for riding today. Leaving soon.

I'm the on-call engineer this week, so not much riding will happen unless I load up the bikes and tool around the local sports part not more than a mile or so away from my car
smile.gif

No rides last weekend, I was on-call and paged out multiple times over the weekend. Planning the same coffee run this coming Saturday. Perhaps a ride with my bride on Sunday.

We have an outstanding trail system in this area, and we live close to a 40 mile round trip trail that is part of the rails to trails system. We routinely ride the 40 mile round trip at least a couple times a month-the 40 miles takes us about 2.5 hours if we really push it, and 3.5 hours if we're just doing a more leisurely ride.

It's full of gentle hills and some spectacular scenery, especially during harvest season.

This year was the first year in several that we didn't spend at least a couple of days on RAGBRAI. In the past we've ridden the entire week, and in the last 3 years we've done at least 3 days while they're crossing central Iowa. This year we simply didn't have the time.

My plan was to go for some DH this weekend but I have a friend coming from out of town and we're gonna ride the local 21KM MTB loop today. Hopefully the weather holds for tmw and I can get out on the bike again.

I just got a new Magicshine MJ808E so I have been enjoying night riding lately too. I love the fall weather. So good, both trails and the weather itself.

We did what we ended up calling "The Sausage Ride" this morning. Apparently none of the women who ride with us decided to come along, so hence the term. About 30 miles in an out and back from Collinsville to Edwardsville. About 2:00-2:10 in actual riding time so right around 15MPH on average.

Not bad for a bunch of middle aged dudes.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/141262613

Last edited:
A couple more this weekend. Just under 10 miles with my wife on Saturday and I did just under 17 on my own Sunday. The wind was brutal so I cut it short.

I think we are running out of weekends we can ride here in Southern IL.

It was a beautiful day for a ride today. A bit windy, but a nice day. It may be the last one of the year. We shall see how next weekend looks, but I don't hold out hope.

Yesterday was beautiful so I got the bike out and rode just under 39 miles yesterday. Who would have thought I would be riding in December in the St Louis area?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Yesterday was beautiful so I got the bike out and rode just under 39 miles yesterday. Who would have thought I would be riding in December in the St Louis area?

If it wasn't for the rain the last 2 days, I would have been out as well, it has been SO MILD the last 3 days.

It is currently 13C/55F where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back