Why does Ford diesel exhaust stink so bad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering why do Ford diesel engines (F250 and F350) give off more diesel stench than Dodge or Chevy diesel engines ???
21.gif

I can always tell when an F250 or F350 pickup truck is ahead of me on the highway due the smell and the truck is a good 1/4 miles in front of me. Dodge and Chevy have almost zero exhaust smell.

What makes Ford engines so stinky ?

I like the smell of diesel trucks, the Fords have a very strong smell that can be almost nauseating if you are standing over the tail pipe loading something in the back, but from a few feet its fine.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Just wondering why do Ford diesel engines (F250 and F350) give off more diesel stench than Dodge or Chevy diesel engines ???
21.gif

I can always tell when an F250 or F350 pickup truck is ahead of me on the highway due the smell and the truck is a good 1/4 miles in front of me. Dodge and Chevy have almost zero exhaust smell.

What makes Ford engines so stinky ?

HAHA!! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. You can smell a ford and hear a Dodge diesel before you see the truck!

I hate the smell of the Fords Diesels too! Duramax seems to have it all - quiet, no smell and power.

Maybe Ford owners are running bio-diesel sourced from Long John Silver's fryer grease? Maybe it's the Urea based DEF?
21.gif

Funny how smells trigger memories. If I smell diesel exhaust in the morning, it reminds me of being up early to crank up all the tanks. (simultaneously so the enemy cannot count our numbers by sound) I start to crave terrible Army coffee and SOS (creamed ground beef on a piece of toast).
lol.gif

"Maybe Ford owners are running bio-diesel sourced from Long John Silver's fryer grease? Maybe it's the Urea based DEF?"

This would be my guess also. I love Ford's though!

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
"Maybe Ford owners are running bio-diesel sourced from Long John Silver's fryer grease? Maybe it's the Urea based DEF?"

I can remember the duramax having less odour back to 2005, well before DEF & DPF.

It has to be more complete combusion I think? Those older Fords were louder as well, I wonder if there is a connection there.

The older ones are the worst. I guess I thought the ones I was smelling were just out of tune, but now that I think about it, they all stink.

If you don't like the diesel exaust smell, don't drive in European cities. More than half the cars are diesel, and if you get caught up in a traffic jam, and I have been, the diesel exaust stench is so bad, it makes me vomit.

Trust me, my nose can smell a brand new Ford diesel driven by an old man that is 100% stock and unmodified.

If I am stuck in slow moving traffic on the highway, I take my foot off the gas pedal for a few seconds to allow 7-8 cars to pass me so I won't be inhaling the smell. Every time I smell a Ford diesel engine it reminds me of London with all the double-decker buses.

Try being on a motorcycle. I can smell cigarette or cigar smoke coming from something two vehicles ahead of me.

And I can hear the servos or solenoids (whatever they are) shifting in Chrysler transmissions as well.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Try being on a motorcycle. I can smell cigarette or cigar smoke coming from something two vehicles ahead of me.

lol.gif

A friend of mine in high school smoked clove cigarettes.

I could smell his car in traffic ahead of me before I could see it
crackmeup2.gif

Since we are discussing smells, how about Toyotas? Ever notice when a Camry driver floors it?? The rotten egg smell is very strong for miles!

Diesel smell is on top of the list that I hate while driving, especially on surface streets. I can tolerate many wrong moves by other drivers, but I can't tolerate diesel fume.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Diesel smell is on top of the list that I hate while driving, especially on surface streets. I can tolerate many wrong moves by other drivers, but I can't tolerate diesel fume.

The new diesel fuels really smell when you change the filters and get some of the fuel on your hands....nasty stuff! I agree with your statement...but can't tolerate bad drivers...they stink too.

Working ship engines, locomotive engines, and being around old boilers for years, guess my sniffer is broken cuz I it's hard to tell anymore unless it's really thick, like I can see it like a fog bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back