BFGoodrich Advantage T/A for CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Co-worker needs cheap tires for her 2008 CRV.
crazy2.gif
Size is 225/65-17 102T, and the max budget is $600.

I found a set of BFGoodrich Advantage T/A tires for $533 installed after the $50 rebate.

Tires that are also being considered are the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and Continental ProContact EcoPlus, both of which are $610 installed.

Any experiences shared on the BFG Advantage T/A would be appreciated. They appear to have been on the market since 2009 and are ranked #6 by CR in their newly released testing program.

Thanks.

Had TA ADVANTAGE on my Camry...took them off after 5000 miles as fhey were the hardest riding and noisest tire I ever had on this car. In addition they did not excel in anything. STAY AWAY.

cheap? Didnt she realize when buying a $25k CRV with 17" wheels that tires might not be cheap?

Id go for the $610 tires... Does Michelin still have the $70 rebate? Is that accounted for?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
cheap? Didnt she realize when buying a $25k CRV with 17" wheels that tires might not be cheap?

Agreed, wholeheartedly. When I see my MIL's Ford Edge with 20" wheels on it, I cringe at the thought of buying tires for it.

Back to the OP, I had BFG Advantage T/A tires on our 2000 New Beetle TDI in 195/65R15. They were absolutely fine and I would buy them again for the Golf or 5.

Many of the TA's at Sam's Cllub and other such places are Michelin tires, right down to the tread pattern. (Michelin owns BFG) Those are good tires, have them on two Toyota products. Which particular size and model, however, come from which factory is hard to figure out. If it looks like a Michelin, it probably IS a Michelin with a BFG label. I agree that the older
BFG TA's are noisy and rough riding. I switched to The Conti's mentioned on one car -- ride is better, wet traction is good, but they run at a higher slip angle. THeir 205-60-15 is taller and more narrow than a BFG in the same size.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Co-worker needs cheap tires for her 2008 CRV.
crazy2.gif
Size is 225/65-17 102T, and the max budget is $600.

I found a set of BFGoodrich Advantage T/A tires for $533 installed after the $50 rebate.

Tires that are also being considered are the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and Continental ProContact EcoPlus, both of which are $610 installed.

Any experiences shared on the BFG Advantage T/A would be appreciated. They appear to have been on the market since 2009 and are ranked #6 by CR in their newly released testing program.

Thanks.

I think that the BFG Adv T/A's are at least a considerable choice for your friends CR-V(is it AWD?) And her budget is in the right area for tires(give or take $$$).

It's really hard to pick a tire for someone else without knowing exactly the driving style and personal criteria for tires that she'll need in your particular climate. Most people want tires that are cheap, black and round. That's not saying much!

We have family/friends in our circle with a wide variety/different years(FWD & AWD) of CR-V's and they are using a wide variety of tire choices from BFG's to Michelin. I don't hear anyone complaining! Mainly, they all love their CR-V and mention nothing about tires ;/

I think the Michelins will be the best bet in the long run, if she keeps the car long enough to wear them out.

Tomorrow I'm looking at Michelin Defender tires for our CRV. Possibly in a few weeks have new tires installed. I've heard pretty good reviews about those with a 90K warranty to boot.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'm tellin' ya, some people are backwards with their priorities in life. This has only seen oil changes per the Maint Minder since she bought it 70k ago (has 110k now). I changed the engine and cabin filters once out of pity, but that's about it. Aside from tires, it also needs spark plugs, valve adjustment, serpentine drive belt and trans/coolant/brake/pwr steering flushes - basically the full 110k service and then some.

I tried explaining the concept of cost per mile but somehow it fell upon death ears.

It sounds like the Advantage T/A is a relatively decent tire. I normally would not buy them but they should to be a step above the infamous Chinese and Korean stuff. Their good performance on CR's 2012 Tire Testing program is also somewhat reassuring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistically as long as the tires are not known to be noisy CA does not have demanding conditions for tires in terms of wet and winter.

With a person who likely will not rotate them to even wear I do not see the point in buying top tier tires.

The majority of CRV owners I know purchase tires based the need of them being black, round, and holding air.

I had them on the Accord and I thought they were fine, I'd buy them again. They are OEM on a few cars so maybe that's the cause of the bad experiences. They were quiet, long wearing, no hydroplaning, cheap. The only downside I thought was the winter traction, and that might not be an issue anyways (CA is a big place).

I'd let just let her get the cheap stuff..since I doubt she have it long anyways....

Though the TAs will be fine.

Kendra tires to be a good "get by " tire...since they were a joint venture with Cooper a while back..

Goodyear is running an instant $60 off a set of 4 Goodyear or Dunlop tires . If you go online to goodyearautoservice.com , search the tire size and select schedule an appointment, it adds the tires to the cart with installation price and the instant discount.

Combine that with the current $80 MIR that Goodyear is running which can be doubled if she/he gets a Goodyear Credit Card and you have a pretty decent price on some excellent 80k mile All Season Tires.

In my area :

4T + Installation + Instant Discount : $672 + Tax
- $160 Rebate ( with GYCC )
--------------
OTD : Approx $ 565 After MIR&taxes

Last edited:
Am I the only one to think $600 is a pretty decent budget for tires for a non-sports car or a car without special needs?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Am I the only one to think $600 is a pretty decent budget for tires for a non-sports car or a car without special needs?

Depends , these days you can get 18/19 in rims on just about anything from factory. They look good, handle great but when time comes to replace them , suddenly everyone goes back 5 years and wants to pay 400 OTD for a set of 4. Yea right !

However , like I said earlier, there are alot of deals to be had. Just depends on how much leg work you are willing to do.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Goodyear is running an instant $60 off a set of 4 Goodyear or Dunlop tires . If you go online to goodyearautoservice.com , search the tire size and select schedule an appointment, it adds the tires to the cart with installation price and the instant discount.

Combine that with the current $80 MIR that Goodyear is running which can be doubled if she/he gets a Goodyear Credit Card and you have a pretty decent price on some excellent 80k mile All Season Tires.

In my area :

--------------

Not worth it to open another line of credit just to save $80.

However, thanks for bringing this up. Sears is doing buy 3 get 1 free on the ComforTred Touring this weekend, plus you get $80 back. So the final price would be $480 after rebate, installed, with the TPMS rebuild kits.

However, thanks for bringing this up. Sears is doing buy 3 get 1 free on the ComforTred Touring this weekend, plus you get $80 back. So the final price would be $480 after rebate, installed, with the TPMS rebuild kits.

There you go ! They will love the tires. Honda + CT Touring seems to be a very popular combo with our customers, including repeat buyers.

The Goodyear ComforTred Touring will be good tires, as would the BFG Advantage T/A. I suspect that both will be a little bit on the opposite sides of the spectrum. The Goodyears will be softer and likely quieter. The BFGs are likely to be firmer and with more steering response. It will all depend on what the owner wants out of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: bourne

In my area :

--------------

Not worth it to open another line of credit just to save $80.

Not to go too OT but you seem to have a lot of experience with Sears. I was looking at Pimacy MXM4 for my wife's car. They give a price with mounting, but there is no indication of TPMS rebuild kits. Is the best bet for getting pricing from Sears by calling them? is their online pricing realistic, or do they do better in person? Tirerack has them within $1 shipped of Sears, but of course then id have to do an install elsewhere, etc. Sears is also odd because they include mounting, but want $11.99 for 90-day balancing. And I dont know whatkind of a job they do with that (good hunter RFB or something else?)

Go to Sears in person to get the best price. I bought my Michelin Latitude Tours there and they were absolutely not competitive on pricing. They wanted $225 each just for the tires. I brought in the Sam's Club price from the website and they not only matched that price but also gave me a $70 Sears gift card as an analog to Sam's Club's $70 instant savings on a set of four Michelins.

Sears offers lifetime balancing and rotation for $15/tire, at least they do around here. Check into that also. It's called their "performance balance" or something of that nature.

Most Sears stores do not have a road force balancer. They use spin balancers only. Again, in my experience only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back