Why Can't They Make Clear Windshield Washer Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tired of the marks they leave on my white paint. I would like to see Rain X make their fluid clear.

It can't be a safety thing, since Prestone makes clear concentrates. Why can't they save on dye and leave my paint alone.

It's pretty much just water with alcohol in it to keep from freezing.

I don't know about the chemistry of it, but I am sure you could probably mix your own. Ammonia, isopropyl alcohol and water may work.

I just looked at a bunch of MSDS...it's basically 65% water, 35% methanol, and enough dye to change it colors.

I have heard isopropyl attacks seals in the pump for your washer fluid, so I don't know, but I am sure you might be able to experiment with off the shelf things and maybe make something better.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
It's pretty much just water with alcohol in it to keep from freezing.

I don't know about the chemistry of it, but I am sure you could probably mix your own. Ammonia, isopropyl alcohol and water may work.

Do not let the relatively cheap price of washer fluid fool you. There is a science to it even though the ingredients are cheap. I have seen "home brews" not mixed right strip paint clear coats and cause premature failure of rubber molding and wiper blades.

Hootbro

CW 1:100 is a little pink but doesn't leave a pink residue on white cars. You can find it at a Porsche dealer or online in a 250 ml bottle for about $7. 20/10 is very good, but it's not as concentrated as CW 1:100.

Bars Bugs is about as good as it gets IMO.

'cept while I was getting the washers/wipers going on the E30, I had a coke bottle of pre-mix ready to go if windscreen was dirty.

Apparently it's not "Bars Algae", and contains some nitrogen compounds (ammonia ??).

IPA is bad. I tried replacing Methanol with IPA, and it eveporated too quickly, leaving the water behind on the windshield and making it freeze into slush. Plus, it made the inside of my car smell like I have been drinking non-stop for a week. I was affraid of being pulled over.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Around here, plain water works just fine.

Southern California water is hard as rocks, isn't it?

I used to use creek water from the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back