Why is Diesel more than gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diesel here was 3.85 on July 1,2012.Today at same Mobil station it's 4.27.Been going up 2-3 cents every couple of days.

Today while on base I noticed:
3.99.9 regular
4.09.9 mid grade
4.19.9 premium
4.29.9 diesel

10c/gal difference right up the line. Of course it's not always like that. And I saw a truck delivering fuel while I was driving by. It had "SC" logo on it - never seen em before anywhere.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
The biggest "recent" cause of diesel cost increase was the requirement of Ultra low Sulfur content in order to be sold in the US.

ULSD Wiki

+1 removing the sulfer is a very expensive process.

it seems like diesel was cheaper up until about 10 years ago.

ULSD was mandated in 2007. When was LSD mandated?

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
The biggest "recent" cause of diesel cost increase was the requirement of Ultra low Sulfur content in order to be sold in the US.

ULSD Wiki

+1 removing the sulfer is a very expensive process.

it seems like diesel was cheaper up until about 10 years ago.

ULSD was mandated in 2007. When was LSD mandated?

+2

Dear Government and Oil companies,

First take away the mandates for ULSD, then keep the sulfur in then pass on the savings.

That is all.

ME! and other Diesel users.

USLD has been one of the best things ever to happen for the diesel engine, its all of the EPA mandated controls that are hampering the overall effiecency.

UOA's have never been as good as they are now, and USLD, along with better lubes, are contributing.

I'm all for lower prices, I don't have an answer as to how to do it though. The demand is increasing every year for fuel, whether it be overseas or here in North America.

Cue Canadians chuckling because diesel is almost always cheaper then gas there...

One word. Subsidiaries. Gasoline is subsidized to [censored] and back.

Refineries have the equipment to refine the products in the proportion the refiners expect to sell. The improvement in gas mileage in the newer cars plus the reduction of discretionary driving due to high gas costs have reduced gasoline demand. As well stated above, distillate consumption (related products of diesel fuel, heating oil, etc.) have remained high. It costs millions to re-equip a refinery, and the refiners sell their products subject to supply and demand. There is some flexibility in the proportions of their output, but not enough as the market changes.

Diesel has been consistently about $.50/gal more than regular here all summer and same difference right now. Regular is about $3.55-3.60 and diesel is about $4.05-4.10. That is for here in Albuquerque.

My older 88 Ford IDI diesel with a std rotary inj pump gets a supplement lube additive each fill up to help combat the ULSD lack of lubricity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back