Subaru EJ 2.5i valve lash adjustment?

JTK

I've seen conflicting info online in regards to valve lash adjustment for new SOHC 2.5i's. 2010-2012 model years to be exact.

I've seen some mention of shim-less bucket lash adjustment for newer EJ's, but I don't understand how that applies to a modern day SOHC EJ253. I'm familiar with shim/bucket setups for direct acting DOHC's, never seen it for SOHC.

To further muddy the waters, from what I can see, there's no mention of lash adjustment in the manual for my 2012 Legacy 2.5i. Not even a "check only if noisy". I assume this applies to all 2010-2012's.

Here's a pic I borrowed online supposedly of a 2007 Legacy EJ 2.5i cylinder head. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Subaru+Cylinder+Head+&_trksid=p5197.c0.m627 You can clearly see the screw and jamb-nut lash adjusters at each valve? As far as I know, it's gotta be the same for 2010-2012, yet no service recommendations?

Can anyone confirm this is how it is for present-day SOHC 2.5i EJ's?

EJ25i.jpg

Joel

I have seen clearence values years ago for my 2000 SOHC Forester. I just googled the question and the NASIOC club came up with how to check & adjust. Ed

Last edited:
Yep, tried all that Fellas.

Very little info on basic 2.5i EJ powered Legacys. Especially the 2010-12s. 2013s are FB series 2.5L equipped in the 4cyl flavor.

All kinds of talk on turbo'd versions, along with all the fancy bells, whistles, electronic tunes and manhole cover sized wheel diameters that go along with those.
smirk.gif

I'm not having any issues, I'm just curious if the current EJ253 valvetrain and lash adjustment is basically unchanged from the early 1990's.

Joel

Last edited:
2010 Legacy/Outback 2.5I SOHC service manual Specs.

Valve clearance (inspection value):
Intake
0.20r0.04 mm (0.0079r0.0016 in)
Exhaust
0.25r0.04 mm (0.0098r0.0016 in)

Yes it is an adjuster jam nut.

If you need more send me a PM. I don't often check the Mechanical /Maintenance Forum.

Thanks fls.

Odd that it's essentially the same setup that's been used for ~20yrs, yet there's nothing in the service manual or owner's manual in regards to a service interval.

Joel

.008" and .010" sound right.
Be aware that hot and cold make a big difference.
I like dead cold for consistency. when doing a hot check, the engine is cooling rapidly, and is different from start to finish.
You could quickly/simply check them hot, and adjust later.

SOHCs have never really had a interval that I can recall. I have seen them with 200K+ never being checked and they are still spot on. HGs may have been done once or twice but valve clearances were fine.

My previous 2004 Legacy had the 2.0 sohc 137bhp lump in it with the 4 speed autobox.

In 4 yrs and wll over 100k miles it required no valve adjustments.

Sadly it was stolen in 2008 so I can't check.the service checklist to.even see if there was a mention of it.

Solid reliable.cars non turbo Subaru's.

How could there be no rocker shaft, rocker, rocker tip, cam, cam pad or roller, or valve stem end wear, and no seat recession?
Still running and being better or right are two different things.

I have never seen a mechanical valve system that stayed true. Hydraulics are hard to tell, a they automatically compensate for wear and temp.

I'd say the worst were old VW beetles.
Lightly loaded OHC types can be very good.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
How could there be no rocker shaft, rocker, rocker tip, cam, cam pad or roller, or valve stem end wear, and no seat recession?
Still running and being better or right are two different things.

I have never seen a mechanical valve system that stayed true. Hydraulics are hard to tell, a they automatically compensate for wear and temp.

I'd say the worst were old VW beetles.
Lightly loaded OHC types can be very good.

I hear what you're saying, but like said above, I've seen older Subaru EJ's with ~150Kmi on them torn down for HG replacement and the lash is still in spec; Specifically a 1998 Legacy Outback and a 2001 Forester

Same can be said for all the chain-driven DOHC, direct-acting, shim/bucket systems today. There's no check schedules for them. Lord help ya if you need it adjusted. You're talking a major big dollar ordeal.

Joel

yes to mechtech's numbers. my '97 2.2L was, iirc

.004-.006 intake
.006-.008 exh

i know the max was less than 010 on both sides, and pretty sure the intake and exh were slightly different. mechanical, not hydraulic, lifters.

at 90,000 miles, all were in spec.

Never over tighten valves!

Last edited:
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium
My timing belt broke and I learned real quick this was an interference engine, yay me. Removed the heads and installed new Intake and Exhaust Valves, went ahead and sent my cams to Delta Camshaft to have the cams reground, set the valve lash on the cam except I don't know how to set the lash on the lob for the VVT. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I currently have mine set within:
Intake 0.20 r 0.04 mm (0.0079 r 0.0016 in)
Exhaust 0.25 r 0.04 mm (0.0098 r 0.0016 in)
I just don't know if you leave the VVT alone and set the lash as mentioned above. I have them installed on the Subi, test drove it and at 4,000 RPM it acts as if it hits the rev-limiter. I did throw a P0028 code so replacing the Intake VVT Solenoid since that is what it called out. Just not sure if the 4,000 RPM issue is corelated to the Solenoid or the valve lash on that lobe for the cam.

2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium
My timing belt broke and I learned real quick this was an interference engine, yay me. Removed the heads and installed new Intake and Exhaust Valves, went ahead and sent my cams to Delta Camshaft to have the cams reground, set the valve lash on the cam except I don't know how to set the lash on the lob for the VVT. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I currently have mine set within:
Intake 0.20 r 0.04 mm (0.0079 r 0.0016 in)
Exhaust 0.25 r 0.04 mm (0.0098 r 0.0016 in)
I just don't know if you leave the VVT alone and set the lash as mentioned above. I have them installed on the Subi, test drove it and at 4,000 RPM it acts as if it hits the rev-limiter. I did throw a P0028 code so replacing the Intake VVT Solenoid since that is what it called out. Just not sure if the 4,000 RPM issue is corelated to the Solenoid or the valve lash on that lobe for the cam.
Update.... so I learned the Oil Pressure Sensor was the issue the whole time. Replaced that sensor and all issues have gone away. Nice to know a $16 part was the fix...

Back