NAPA Platinum oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been off the forum for sometime now, so how are these filters compared to others of similiar quality?

I just installed one in a 2002 BMW 325i, I meant to take pictures but forgot. It looked good, was made in Poland. The ends of the media were crimped together with a metal strip, it had some sort of reinforcing screen on the inside. It also came with a new copper washer for the drain plug.

The Mobil 1 EP filer it replaced was made in China and did not have the inner screen. Also the end caps had different seals. The Napa Plat. had o-ring seals at each end, the Mobil 1 had felt.

I think the Napa filter cost me about $2 less than the Mobil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
How do these compare to the new Purolator Synthetic (as far as flow, capacity, longevity, efficiency, etc.)?

I'd say they are basically the same. No data to back that up, but they are basically constructed the same with synthetic media. And both are advertised as long OCI filters that more debris than your normal filters. The FRAM Ultra (XG series) is on the same tier as these two IMO.

I got one in my '06 GTO. Will know more when I do a UOA & cut the filter open to inspect.

The Platinums are in a league of their own. Simply looking at and holding the things is almost a religious experience.

I've got a Napa Platinum (NAPA part #47082) in my Ecotec now. I don't think I'll ever use another type again. The crimped seam is worth the price all by itself, imho. Throw in the wire mesh backing and the overall AMAZING construction and it just can't be beat.

The Fram Ultra XG9018 and the Puro Synthetic PSL15436 don't even come close to the quality of the Platinum. They need not apply.

If Napa starts putting the Platinums in their monthly oil specials, more's the better.

I've also got two canister-type Platinums, one for my old Beetle (Napa part #41394) and one for Dad's old F150 (Napa part #41515), waiting to be used. The one on the F150, at least, will be in for one [censored] of an extended OCI, because Dad's just too lazy and cheap to change the oil in it at anything like a reasonable interval.
grin.gif

Can't wait to see how they hold up. I may even consider leaving them in for two OCIs. Yes, yes, I know people go 10,000 (or more) miles on the cheapest filters they can find, but that kind of thing isn't for me. Perhaps synthetic media will change my mind.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^ So you even put it above the Bosch Distance Plus in ALL catagories??

The 47082 is light years beyond the D3334 as far as construction and workmanship, which is saying a lot. The D3334 was the best put together Ecotec filter I'd seen before the Platinum. However, I can pop the endcaps off a D+ effortlessly. I could not tear the endcaps off the Platinum no matter how hard I tried.

The canister-types are probably equal as far as workmanship, fit and finish, and heft.

There is one big advantage to the D+: its efficiency numbers are readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back