Free set of tires because of a Defect: Yokohama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well a couple of months ago, my mother in law received a letter from Yokohama stating that the tires that she purchased were missing a TIN number on one side of the tire. If the "defect" was found upon inspection, Yokohama would give you a comparable set of tires, Free!

Anyways, her tires were affected, and she got a set of Yokohama Avid Touring S tires for nothing but tax
thumbsup2.gif

Affected tires were the Avid H4 I believe, with certain DOT numbers.

I got a replacement set of Geolanders from them once because they had some out of round defect and you had to add too much weight to balance them. It was some kind of cord issue.

Nice....lesson learbed....mail in those DOT cards to the rubber manufacturer
smile.gif
i know here in fl wr have to pay the tax too on battery replacements, etc...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That might be state law...it is here.

Bingo, there is a State Environmental Fee here in CA that the consumer must pay. It's only around $2 a tire IIRC.

Quote:
I had a set of Yokohama Avid touring tires that cracked very badly way prematurely. I will never buy Yokohama again. Weird on the tax thing.

I had a set of Avid Touring ( before S suffix), went ~68k miles with no issues, a solid set of tires at a value price. Liked them so much after an interim set Altimax HP, now have another set of Yoko Avid Touring S on the same vehicle. Also have a set of Yoko Geo H/T-S on a Tacoma. I'll continue to buy Yoko's as long as they are a competively priced well built tire, which they have been for me.

Kudos to Yoko for doing the right thing here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
I had a set of Yokohama Avid touring tires that cracked very badly way prematurely. I will never buy Yokohama again. Weird on the tax thing.

I had a set of Avid Touring ( before S suffix), went ~68k miles with no issues, a solid set of tires at a value price. Liked them so much after an interim set Altimax HP, now have another set of Yoko Avid Touring S on the same vehicle. Also have a set of Yoko Geo H/T-S on a Tacoma. I'll continue to buy Yoko's as long as they are a competively priced well built tire, which they have been for me.

Kudos to Yoko for doing the right thing here.

Me too. I had AVID Touring on LS400 some years ago, I have Touring-S on it now. For the money, they are good performer on both dry and wet roads, they are also quiet and lasted reasonable mileage.

Yes sorry for the just saying "tax", it was in fact the environmental fee.

She did call me this morning though to say her TPMS light was on already. After work, she checked the pressure and they were almost 50psi! I don't know exactly what the max PSI is on these tires, but I would say 35-44.

Strange that they overfilled them, never had that happen with Discount Tire before.

BTW, she drove on them like that for about 40 miles. Are there potential issues that could arise from doing that? I'm not too knowledgeable about tires.

It is not good to have almost 50 PSI with max 44 PSI on sidewall, but no real damage was done. On the other hand, if the tires have only 20 PSI or less and she had been driven for 40 miles with that low pressure then some internal damage had been done.

A couple of thoughts on recalls.

The terms are set by whoever is doing the recall. In the case of tires, it's usually a straight exchange as set by the tire manufacturer - no cost involved - BUT NOT ALWAYS.

There is also lots of opportunity for confusion and opportunity for less than honest folks to add "fees".

Your experience may vary.

Last edited:
I agree that even w/50psi, there is nothing wrong, nor to worry about with the tires over ONLY 40 miles. If anything, the centers of the tires would have worn more by a very small amount...Very Small!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I agree that even w/50psi, there is nothing wrong, nor to worry about with the tires over ONLY 40 miles. If anything, the centers of the tires would have worn more by a very small amount...Very Small!

I just had a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend's installed today on my TSX at DT. The pressure in the rear passenger side tire was 60psi (based on the TPMS and my hand-held guage)! I live a few miles away, but by the time I got home the shop was closed for the evening. I've been happy with DT in the past but between this stunt and the fact that one of the valves is so recessed that you can't let air out I think I'm done at least with this particular store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back