2010 Ford 5.4L Sparkplug Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I am coming up on the recommended time for the first spark plug change in my FX4. Although I am sure that I could wait a while, I want to change these (the dealer will be doing it) while the warranty is still in effect (I will have about 90K on it when they are changed and Ford recommends the first change at 85K).

What are the experiences with the different spark plugs for these engines? I am certain that I have the "improved" or upgraded version so there **should not** be a problem with removing them. I am heavily learning towards using the OEM sparkplugs as they have served me well; but what have you guys/gals used and was there any discernible differences in them?

TIA!

You are fine, yours aren't the ones that break off.

I grabbed one off the shelf. This is what you have.
BA5787C8-3E18-481D-B9BD-5CBC4084FE6D-9401-00000CC547A33F70.jpg

These are the ones that break.
C784B2AA-0DF0-49E4-A6CD-6C7D07E86303-9401-00000CC54CF40BA8.jpg

Definitely go OE on this one. 3valve right? these plugs have a really odd design, with a long extension past the threads

+1 for OEM. Little to be gained by trying other options in this case.

Sometimes with an different plug design you can gain a little in longevity, but you also may deal with unintentional issues with aren't worth the trouble.

The bottom ones are the ones that break? Haha thats what the ford dealer sent us when I was thinking about attempting plug replacement. When the first one I tried did not even move I came to my senses and told the advisor to send it to ford. I'm a GM tech, I should not be made to work on a ford lol

Looks like a good, stock IR plug. No reason for anything else on a COP ignition. Some fords with waste spark and wires could use + and - firing plugs in the proper holes to lower misfire count and improve performance and mileage consistency.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
The bottom ones are the ones that break? Haha thats what the ford dealer sent us when I was thinking about attempting plug replacement. When the first one I tried did not even move I came to my senses and told the advisor to send it to ford. I'm a GM tech, I should not be made to work on a ford lol

There is a TSB for replacing those plugs. We have figured out another fluid instead of carb cleaner that works a lot better than the Ford Carb Cleaner.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We have figured out another fluid instead of carb cleaner that works a lot better than the Ford Carb Cleaner.

So you are going to keep all of us in the dark on that?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
We have figured out another fluid instead of carb cleaner that works a lot better than the Ford Carb Cleaner.

So you are going to keep all of us in the dark on that?

Mazda Zoom cleaner. It's for when the ambient temp changes more than 10 degrees overnight and you have to replace the starter, battery and plugs on a RX-8.

You are fine, yours aren't the ones that break off.

Thanks BD; I have had great service from most of the OEM stuff thus far on the truck and see no reason to deviate. The OEM brake pads would have lasted 100K if the rotors had not warped.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Looks like a good, stock IR plug. No reason for anything else on a COP ignition. Some fords with waste spark and wires could use + and - firing plugs in the proper holes to lower misfire count and improve performance and mileage consistency.

No.
The reason for single precious metal tipped plugs on factory Fords with waste spark ignition is for costs only. Only 1/2 the platinum was used! There is no firing advantage with only one special tip.
Replacements are double plats.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

No.
The reason for single precious metal tipped plugs on factory Fords with waste spark ignition is for costs only. Only 1/2 the platinum was used! There is no firing advantage with only one special tip.
Replacements are double plats.

You're right. Ford had 2 types of platinum plugs for their waste spark ignition. One had the platinum puck on the ground and the other had the platinum puck on the firing side. They matched the single platinum plugs up to specific firing cylinders to minimize the wear. Ford advised to replace these plugs back into the cylinders you removed them from. The replacement double plats are to avoid having to determine what's the correct cylinders to put the one plat puck into. On the single plats Ford had a paint swab on the top of the plug for one of the single plug pucks location, don't remember if it was on the puck/ground or the puck/firing plug.

Whimsey

i've done several sets of those plugs and have not broken one yet. They need to be done while the engine is warm/hot. I also have the special tool to remove the broken piece but have not gotten to use it yet. They are not that bad.

To the OP, yours will come right out. They changed design for that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back