5w-30 PBY or Synpower for fall-winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys i have an 09 impreza 2.5i and i do mostly city/traffic driving with 10mile long trips each time. the weather is cooling off now and since i do 3750mi OCI i will do a bit of Canadian November driving on this oil. i dont generally warm up the car (idle) for more than 15 seconds for fuel economy reasons. my car runs pig rich when cold so i just drive under 2000rpm for a few minutes until coolant temp is hot. walmart currently has Valvoline synpower on sale for $20 a jug and i can get the Pennzoil conventional yellow bottle for $25 a jug. i like the Pennzoil more on paper because it seems to be packed with additives (8.3 tbn, 2400 Ca, 868 Zi, 269 moly). The synpower however is synthetic with lower pour point (-42c vs -39) and also cheaper. which is better for me?

Last edited:
For cold weather I would personally go with Synthetic oil regardless of brand for cold flow reasons. But unless you are going to be in extreme temps I imagine you would be just fine with either of those oils.

My 2001 Impreza valvetrain sounds noisy on Pennzoil products but sounds great using SynPower, most noticeably during the colder winter months. Not very scientific but it's enough for me to keep using SynPower.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
My 2001 Impreza valvetrain sounds noisy on Pennzoil products but sounds great using SynPower, most noticeably during the colder winter months. Not very scientific but it's enough for me to keep using SynPower.

well that's 3/3 recommending synpower. noise is not an issue for me, im mostly worried about MPG and engine wear to be honest.

Last edited:
$20 is awesome for SynPower..... I will have to check my Walmart later today, and if its that price, I will have to stock up.

SynPower no doubt, at that price.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
$20 is awesome for SynPower..... I will have to check my Walmart later today, and if its that price, I will have to stock up.

Anyone know if it's just jugs or also single quarts?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

Anyone know if it's just jugs or also single quarts?

FYI - If his profile is correct, (Toronto) this is a Canadian sale apparently. Just a heads up.

SYNPOWER:
VI: 172
PP: -42C
MRV @-35: 18,000
CCS: 4300@-30
VIS 40: 59.5
VIS 100: 10.7

PYB:
VI: 158
PP: -39C
MRV: 15,900 @-35
CCS: 5800@-30
VIS 40: 63.9
VIS 100: 10.5
HTHS: 3.0

When looking at these specs it looks like synpower has the edge in cold properites. It will be lighter at start up than PYB due to its higher VI. The only missing data piece is synpowers HTHS value for a complete comparson.

SynPower. Support our sponsors!

Good oil.
19.gif

well i ended up with castrol edge 5w-30 for $35 from Canadian tire after all that research lol. thanks to walmart customer service they just did not want to go in the back and get me the oil. i could see the brown valvoline synpower boxes in the storage but the guy just outright refused to check claiming if its not on the floor then its not for sale. btw thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back