Amsoil OE 5w20, 4083 Miles, Dodge Caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran the factory fill for 1250 miles, then switched to Amsoil's 5w20, just the OE "cheaper" line of synthetic. Amsoil oil filter was used.

I expected the silicone to be high, as it's a brand new motor (bought the car new). However I'm not sure why they flagged base number?

Image version here.

Code:

Iron 12

Chromium 0

Nickel 0

Aluminum 4

Copper 11

Lead 0

Tin 3

Cadmium 0

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 50 *

Sodium 3

Potassium 0

Titanium 0

Molybdenum 117

Antimony 0

Manganese 1

Lithium 0

Boron 94

Magnesium 8

Calcium 1991

Barium 1

Phosphorous 686

Zinc 769

Fuel Dilution
Soot
Viscosity 100C 8.2

Base Number 3.53 *

Oxidation 10

Nitration 8

I read on the forum that Blackstone have a lower limit of 1 on TBN.

What engine is this fitted with?

We get the Caliber in UK but most have a Merc sourced diesel engine.

Correct, Blackstone says a TBN of 1.0 is too low. In reality, TBN is too low when it equals TAN, I believe -- aka the amount of base left is just enough to neutralize the acid in the oil. Below this point, the oil becomes acidic.

I would guess its flagged as yellow just because it is getting lower. The point at which it becomes red may still be 1.0 for this company, too.

blackstone says 1 is too low and others say you're not supposed to go lower than 1/3rd of the original tbn of the oil.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
This UOA is NOT blackstone.

Who did it?

Oil Analyzers Inc. Its the kit I got from my Amsoil guy.

Actually, for a nearly brand-new engine, that's pretty impressive for wear metals.

As for the TBN, I don't believe it's an issue. No TAN makes it hard to understand why they flagged it.

Looks great! @dnewton3. Don't some labs flag TBN when it has been reduced to less than half of starting TBN? Maybe this is one of those labs?

This is a nice UOA. The Tbn is perfectly fine, no need to worry. 1.0 is low when dealing with B/S labs.

This is not Blackstone labs. (Open the link). It's OA from Amsoil.

Regardless, TBN of 3.5 seems high for anyone to condemn, w/o knowing the TAN (which they didn't report, even if they did test it).

As for a lab condemning a lube with only 1/2 the TBN remaining, I'm not aware of such, but that doesn't mean it's not out there ... Seems like a huge waste if that were the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back