Oil Recommendation, 4.7 L Toyota Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Tundra with about 95k miles with the 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine. Living in the Chicago suburbs. Manual recommends 5w-30 conventional oil with 5k OCI. Mostly driven around town (less then 10 mile trips) with some highway miles, about 10k miles a year.

I am planning to switch to M1 5w-30 with an oversized Napa Gold 1516 oil filter, compared to the standard NG 1348. Filter is behind a belly pan with lots of room around it, so the longer filter looks to easily fit.

My primary goal is better cold weather cold start lubrication. My secondary goal is extending my OCI to 10k miles or once a year, which ever is sooner.

This is my first post here, and have been doing some reading here before putting my plan together. Let me know what you think of the idea and any recommendations you have.

Mobil 5W-30 EP is what I am using in my friends 2002, with a M1 filter. 10K shouldn't be a problem. BTW, you should be able to change the filter from the top; I am 6' 3" so maybe litt'r guys can't. IDK.

I echo what simple_gifts said. I have a 2006 Tundra (and a 2011 as well).

In the 2006, I have been using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 continually since the 1,000 mile mark. I began having UOAs performed every 5,000 miles starting at 10K miles. I now have over 95K on the vehicle. I have done a couple of 10K mile runs with this vehicle and analysis indicated all was well at the 10K mark. I didn't have the nerve to go beyond 10K miles, but I could have according to the analysis results.

I have used several different high-quality filters, but keep coming back to using the M1-209, which is an oversize filter that fits the 4.7 just fine.

Although I have been less impressed with Mobil 1 since the move to the SN standard, it should still be just fine for 10K miles in the 4.7, which is pretty easy on the oil.

I concur with simple_gifts - you'll do fine with this combination.

Mine liked M1 High Mileage 5W-30, no valvetrain tick on cold startup. Whereas regular M1 5W-30 had an audible but slight tick that went away within a minute or so. Using Toyota oil filters in all cases. Possibly the extra zinc/phosphorous made a difference.

The pl30001 will fit for a larger filter too. Guy across street from me runs delo400 15w40 and pl30001 filter. He gets oil for free, bulk at his job. He runs delo400 in everything he owns. He has a beater corrola that has around 280k miles on it. The corrola burns some but keeps on running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back