Massachusetts CCW Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some fact-finding for a friend. My friend is 46, and a female. Had a threat come through her Facebook Inbox today. Rides the subway regularly, was almost robbed once and had a rather miraculous person appear to deter two drunken thugs - alone at midnight in Quincy center though that was an older time and wholly unrelated to the present issue. She is contacting Quincy District Court tomorrow, filing a case. Harassment, etc etc. Supervisor informed, police report. Everythign standard-issue for internet harassment and terroristic threat.

Now my question comes as to using this as a basis for CCW application. This incident is making her want to act on what we have been speaking about: Her right to self-defense if anyone targets her for her sizable purse, or other bodily harm. She is a larger older woman and would benefit from some form of protection, since Krav Maga is if someone gets up close to you, not gangs up on you in numbers etc. She works at a law office. She says that in Massachusetts (a very gun UNfriendly state) that the CCW must be valid for each town it is to be carried in, including along a subway ride. For her, that would be Weymouth, Quincy, Braintree (bus goes through) and Boston as well as likely Dorchester and other municipalities. I am using this experience as a test for what goes on with this. I am not sure Massachusetts is a shall-issue state. Does anyone on this forum have experience with Massachusetts CCW applications and what is needed as sufficient cause to be granted the permit? Include everything you can think of.

well from what youv said, i know i wouldnt want to live there.. any state that makes it very hard to obtain CCP (Conceal Carry Permit) is just silly.. Frankly (my opinion) CC or Open carry should be at the discression of the holder. Aside from those obviously banned from carry for previous criminal offence.

Tell her to get some pepper spray and keep it handy untill she decides or gets her permit. stuff works wonders.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
well from what youv said, i know i wouldnt want to live there.. any state that makes it very hard to obtain CCP (Conceal Carry Permit) is just silly.. Frankly (my opinion) CC or Open carry should be at the discression of the holder. Aside from those obviously banned from carry for previous criminal offence.

Tell her to get some pepper spray and keep it handy untill she decides or gets her permit. stuff works wonders.

I will. Thing is that (get this) - In Massachusetts Stun guns and pepper spray are as illegal as real weapons! And subject to same CCW process so you might as well get a real gun
eek.gif

I am scouring EBay for that stop-gap but they appear to have tightened up on the shipping to gun UNfriendly states. Great. EDIT: Same way that CCW is not permitted in your state of Indiana.

All your questions can be answered at Northeastshooters.com (I'm a member there).

Quickly: MA is stupid in that it depends on which town one resides in. The granting of an LTC is up to the chief of police of that town. Some towns are near impossible, and some towns are close to effortless.

Ultimately, if your friend does apply, the only reason given should be "All Lawful Purposes". When it comes down to it, that should be all that is necessary providing your friend doesn't have any disqualifiers (felonies, etc.).

Also, she is mistaken. An LTC is valid throughout the state (excluding schools, Post offices, gov buildings, etc). And concealed means concealed. No open carry (don't even go there) and yes, MA is gun unfriendly. We even have an AWB.

Edit: Extra reasons (self-protection, odd hours of work) may help on an application, but do not necessarily mean success.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
All your questions can be answered at Northeastshooters.com (I'm a member there).

Quickly: MA is stupid in that it depends on which town one resides in. The granting of an LTC is up to the chief of police of that town. Some towns are near impossible, and some towns are close to effortless.

Ultimately, if your friend does apply, the only reason given should be "All Lawful Purposes". When it comes down to it, that should be all that is necessary providing your friend doesn't have any disqualifiers (felonies, etc.).

Also, she is mistaken. An LTC is valid throughout the state (excluding schools, Post offices, gov buildings, etc). And concealed means concealed. No open carry (don't even go there) and yes, MA is gun unfriendly. We even have an AWB.

Edit: Extra reasons (self-protection, odd hours of work) may help on an application, but do not necessarily mean success.

I may join up there. I myself cant get one due to a prior offense that could be construed as the F word (so technically I myself cannot own nor carry.) However, she is not I. She is squeaky clean. And the towns are the ones that surround you in Boston: Quincy, Braintree, and Weymouth. I/we live in Weymouth and my name is NOT attached to her residence.

I take it you have been through this? And she does NOT have to get a permit for "every town she goes through?" I read nraila.org (btw, she is at work all day.)

Tomorrow we go to Quincy District Court and she is getting a case on this guy.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

I take it you have been through this? And she does NOT have to get a permit for "every town she goes through?" I read nraila.org (btw, she is at work all day.)

Yes, I've been through the application process. For someone to carry in MA, they need an LTC with no restrictions (also called All Lawful Purposes). Some towns may issue an LTC with restrictions which effectively negate the "Carry" part. Stupid right? Additionally there are different classes of LTC's which have to do with capacity restrictions. LTC-A = high cap, LTC-B = neutered cap. Furthermore, just because one has an LTC-A, they are still restricted from possessing any 10+ cap postban magazines (Insta-felony right there).

An LTC is valid throughout the state. Unfortunately, your street address (town) means the difference between getting one or not.

My best advice is to go to the site and _read_. The laws are so convoluted in this state that I can't explain them all. All the questions you may have have been asked in the past and there's a good bunch of people there who've tried to make sense of the nonsensical garbage that are the laws.

Edit: Wasp and Hornet spray is legal in this state...no permit required.
whistle.gif

Last edited:

Yes, I've been through the application process. For someone to carry in MA, they need an LTC with no restrictions (also called All Lawful Purposes). Some towns may issue an LTC with restrictions which effectively negate the "Carry" part. Stupid right? Additionally there are different classes of LTC's which have to do with capacity restrictions. LTC-A = high cap, LTC-B = neutered cap. Furthermore, just because one has an LTC-A, they are still restricted from possessing any 10+ cap postban magazines (Insta-felony right there).

An LTC is valid throughout the state. Unfortunately, your street address (town) means the difference between getting one or not.

My best advice is to go to the site and _read_. The laws are so convoluted in this state that I can't explain them all. All the questions you may have have been asked in the past and there's a good bunch of people there who've tried to make sense of the nonsensical garbage that are the laws.

Edit: Wasp and Hornet spray is legal in this state...no permit required.
whistle.gif

I think i am going to surf on over there. The days of smuggling them in, mailed from a friendly Arizona pepper spray and stun gun vendor appear to be over. However, I think she will be going into Weymouth PD over on Winter St and speaking with someone. I will begin the reading. I am sure they make it as complicated as possible.

My question going in: Does this case about the Internet harassment/terroristic threat give her.. wait wait, you responded already, didnt you. The court is in Quincy, we live in Weymouth. We live south of you. She works in North Boston and you can see her work building from the "Close the bridge!" scene in The Town.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbullet...red+green+towns

Also very good.

IANAL. I do not know how an application will be influenced by reasons of fear/threat.

Your friend should take a recognized firearms safety course. It is a necessary requirement for application. Also will give her some hands-on time to get a sense of whether or not this is something she wants to pursue.

Also, if her hometown is Weymouth then it doesn't look good.
http://www.weymouth.ma.us/CMS200Sample/uploadedfiles/LTC_Application_Packet.pdf

"New & Renewal Class A&B LTC’s will be issued for Hunting and Target only. However on a
renewal a license will not be downgraded. For licenses for Employment purposes you must have a
letter from the employer stating it is a “requirement for employment”."

Also their list of certified safety instructors is incomplete. Go to goal.org for a more complete list.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbullet...red+green+towns

Also very good.

IANAL. I do not know how an application will be influenced by reasons of fear/threat.

Your friend should take a recognized firearms safety course. It is a necessary requirement for application. Also will give her some hands-on time to get a sense of whether or not this is something she wants to pursue.

Also, if her hometown is Weymouth then it doesn't look good.
http://www.weymouth.ma.us/CMS200Sample/uploadedfiles/LTC_Application_Packet.pdf

"New & Renewal Class A&B LTC’s will be issued for Hunting and Target only. However on a
renewal a license will not be downgraded. For licenses for Employment purposes you must have a
letter from the employer stating it is a “requirement for employment”."

Also their list of certified safety instructors is incomplete. Go to goal.org for a more complete list.

I just submitted registration on that forum and I am in the queue to be approved. "Weymouth" is listed in RED.
frown.gif
Now, I do wonder if that means that if an applicant has no disqualifiers if they can still get an LTC-A... My screnname ther is "Resident Masshole."

Perhaps the court case has no bearing. I thought they asked "Reason for applying for permit."

Also guessing FID is Firearms ID card, and different than LTC-A. The Police Chief is... Richard C. Grimes.

That site, does it take awhile for them to get people added? It does seem as though the right place for MA-specific questions. Maybe they will get to that today?

OtisBlkR1 said:
EDIT: Same way that CCW is not permitted in your state of Indiana.

Open Cary is not legal in Indiana,(unless your on personal property).. Conceal Carry is the only legal way to carry a legal firearm in this state..Indiana Code - 35-47-2 and yes you must obtain Permit, but frankly its not that hard..

The states that make it hard for honest citizens to get Personal Protection Permits dont rank real high in my book..

Oh, and frankly im all about obeying the law, but not being able to carry non lethal weapons IE stun guns, Spray ect.. its total B.S. those items may save your life.. This woman in question probably has next of kin, try explaining to them why she is dead.. "Im sorry, but this state wouldnt alow her to cary anything for self defence".. yeah right.. id rather be in hot water with the LAW and ALIVE.. than follow rules written by man.. that get me killed..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back