Castrol Import ATF - who all here likes it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used it (Castrol imported ATF) in varous applications (Hondas, Toyotas T-IV, etc.) and no issues so far.

My only pet-peeve is their price.

Q.

Just remember 1 thing: Castrol is under BP and they are vastly different than back before their pre-BP acquisition days...so base oil, formulation, etc. has changed as a result.

Castrol import ATF is a really good product, If I had a MT Honda/Acura that's what would be in it.

As for Castrol oils, whats not to like?

Next to be used in my stash is some GTX 5w20 for my winter fill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like it. Of Valvoline MaxLife ATF, genuine Honda ATF DW-1, and Castrol Transmax IMV, I like the Castrol product the best in our CR-V's transmission. MaxLife runs real good in our MDX's transmission, and I'll not try Castrol in that one just because I like MaxLife so much. But Castrol runs better in the CR-V than the MaxLife did. Go figure!

But yeah, I'm a Castrol IMV customer.

The same product call Transmax E here in Australia and its a great product.Used in my Elantra and far better performance than the OEM fluid.

I'm using Castrol IMV in 3 Asian auto trannys with good success(I may be a bit picky).
'01 Lexus RX, '04 Nissan Altima & '06 Mazda3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our friends(husband, wife & both adult kids) are using IMV in their 2 Honda's('07 Pilot/'01 CR-V and 2 Toyota's('04 Camry/'07 Scion tC).

We all(both families) claim that the shifting is different. I just want to be "CLEAR" that the shifting is "NOT BAD", just different than the OE, or what we were all use to prior to changing the ATF...But, you get use to it!

Again, Not Bad Shifting!

None of us are complaining really, as there are no faults nor hard/harsh shifting with the Castrol IMV

For example: The things that one or more of us feel in our trannys is...One tranny, we can feel the shifts a tiny bit more, and the others; the shift points seem different(a little longer in one and a bit quicker in the other). But, only the vehicle owners would notice the differences. Every shift feel is "seat of the pants" ONLY! And very minute but noticable!

I guess one would really have to pay close attention to the before/after of the shifts. Otherwise...Who's the wiser!

Our friends claim that they all feel the shifts more but, none of the trannys shift harsh. ATMOF, they're all quite smooth in both families of vehicles. Each of the 7 vehicles(2 families) trannys all having their own shift charactor and particular feel

Multi-Vehicle Tranny Fluids will all be a bit different in their shift charactor. One would have to experiment with different ATF's and choose what shift feel you liked best in an ATF, and stay with that one brand.

If I had to pick the tranny(s) that shifted best to my liking of all 7 vehicles(I've driven them all), I'd pick the Camry and Mazda3 regardless of ATF Brand

Last edited:
i use it in a family owned: hyundai santa fe. good product for highly friction modified applications!

Last edited:
Speaking of this fluid, has anyone found it in gallon jugs? I see a few other Castrol ATF products in gallon jugs, but I've only seen the Transmax IMV in quarts. If anyone knows where one can buy it by the gallon, I'd love to hear where.

I've used it and the Castrol High Mileage atf in my CR-V. I just bought some of the new Transmax Import Multivehicle and plan to start doing drain and fills on my Odyssey with it...

I bought 3 gallons (gallon jugs) of Castrol Transmax IMV from Amazon about 3 weeks ago at right around $20/gallon without any shipping or tax.

Originally Posted By: Teddi
I bought 3 gallons (gallon jugs) of Castrol Transmax IMV from Amazon about 3 weeks ago at right around $20/gallon without any shipping or tax.

I never thought of Amazon. Thanks!

When my Mazda 3 had it, I couldn't tell the difference between OEM fluid and Castrol. Perhaps it's because I flushed the OEM fluid at about 15k miles so it was not deteriorated yet.
That ATF worked like a charm until about 60k, with two drain and fills in between, which I think were not needed as the trans always shifted nice and smooth and the fluid looked and smelled normal.

I nothing against Castrol IMV, but Petro Canada MV Synthetic ATF gets my vote because it was cheaper per bottle than Castrol stuff at the time I bought it.

I put it in my b-i-l's high mileage 2004 Corolla and it's been working great for the last 10K....the car is closing in on 200K...I agree that it's priced close to many OEM's but it is rumored to contain a good amount of synthetic.

Castrol import atf has provided the best shifting in our Nissan Xterra 4x4. I plan to go back to this fluid after winter. currently have Maxlife in the trans since I got a great deal on it and I had never tried it before.

Last edited:
I too love this fluid; have it in my Tacoma as well as the Isuzu Rodeo - both trucks shift so much better with this fluid then with the previous Maxlife.

I never have problems running it in customer's cars that need this kind of fluid. However, I don't know exactly how well it works because it doesn't meet the needs of cars that belong to friends an family.

I'm using it in my Integra, so far it feels fine, and a bit smoother than Valvoline Maxlife, probably because Castro IM is thicker than Maxlife and closer to what's speced for the older car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back