2003 Pontiac Vibe 201,294 Mobil 1 10W/30 27,900 M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I'm amazed not only by the UOA, but by the fact FZ1 didn't say the OP ran it too long....

I am assuming warm weather car? Socal?

Last edited:
Looks like the SN stuff is more than capable of long extended drains despite having a newer, low SAP additive/detergent system. XOM has always claimed to testing their oils out to 25,000 miles.

Quote:
"Thanks for your message, Mike. We appreciate the feedback. A slight reduction in ash is desirable for advanced engine technology such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine and passenger car diesel engines. With GDI engines, higher levels of ash appear to result in a higher occurrence of Low Speed Pre-Ignition. The industry is currently developing tests and specifications to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition. In the future, passenger car engine oil specifications such as ILSAC GF-6 and dexos1 (next generation) are likely to have requirements such as lower ash to address Low Speed Pre-Ignition.

As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

We hope this information was both helpful and informative. Thanks again for reaching out, and for your continued support of Mobil 1."

Quote:
This is one reason why higher levels of TBN’s can mislead you into thinking it is better when in fact all it is stating is that it has higher levels of detergents to keep the engine clean but the base oil can oxidize(or breakdown) faster than one with higher levels of antioxidants which prevents the acids by neutralizing the attacking acids as oppose to cleaning up the by products of the oxidized oil.

You rarely, if ever, see a M1 oil thicken out of grade.

Great report. I'm hitting the 35k mile mark on XD-3 0W-30 pretty soon, so its good to see that there's others who are into long drains instead of paranoia as well. This report basically repeats something that many of us have known for years -- that in some cases, the 5k, or even 10k oil changes are a complete waste of money.

This is the kind of info is why I have signed up to this forum.

My wifes daily driver is a late 2006 Renault Clio 1.5 DCi, it has a manufacturers oil change interval of 12k miles in normal service, my wife does some stop start but normally off peak times and little traffic congestion, little highway, mostly country roads and some urban suburbs.

Bought at 28k miles it had been serviced at 9k and 19k, annual service rather than by mileage, when bought it had Elf 10w40 Full Synth in it, which I repeated at purchase/28k then I changed over to Mobil 1 0W40 Turbo Diesel at 35k.

I then continues at 8/9k intervals. But going by these results I think I should be doing a UOA at 9k miles and see how far it will safely run.

I have always been a fan of Mobil 1, it is very popular in the UK.

I think with UOA I could probably safely extend my usage, hopefully to one change a year, she does around 18k a year, one change a year would save time and money.

Car has 92k miles atm, intend to give it to my daughter in four years to go to University and want it to last.

Curious as to how much top oil was used ? seems to be an outstanding report for a 200000 mile engine.

Nice report! I definitely drain my oil too early. Next OCI before winter will be M1 0w30 with a Fram XG. I might run that out this time... well to 10k miles anyway
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back