Measurements for sizing a rider to a bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about finding and fixing up an old steel framed "10 speed" for my wife's son to get him off of the cheap Wal Mart Schwinn that he uses to get around town. Since our schedules almost always conflict, are there some measurements he can take of himself and pass on to me so I can find him one that will fit?

Also FWIW, I intend to do the same for my wife and I, but I planned on measuring our current bikes and finding something that approximates them.

We intend on using them as beater bikes - for winter and unpaved trail use, but we'd like to not drop too far in performance from our current bikes (Schwinn LeTour Legacy 105 for me and Raleigh Revinio 2.0 for her)

Is there any problems with this plan?

Im not seeing why you would be changing bikes if he has a good working one. If he is getting around town on it, and it has the chance of being stolen, damaged or whatever, why not keep the WM bike in use?

When you say 10 speed, Im assuming you mean a road bike type?

Yes, I am talking about a road type bike.

Some of the reasons are it's not really sized correctly for him and after some time of riding, his knees will start bugging him. Also because the bike he is on now isn't very efficient and really it's also not in THAT good of condition. It's going to need tires and a rim truing, as well as some bearing work. If I'm going to put that kind of work into a bike, I might as well do it to one that's better suited to him.

On top of that, I want cycling to be a positive experience for him, not just something he has to do when the buses aren't running. Something that he'll be more likely to do even if given the opportunity to ride the bus or drive.

Sorry I didn't include this in my initial post.

There are a few good websites out there that show how to fit a bike. Keep in mind that Mountain and road bikes are sized differently. Here are a couple of links Bike Sizing and here Sizing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back