Why do i have to change the power steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KB2008X
Ford has been using ATF in their PS systems for years. The whooping that PS puts on ATF isn't the equal of what a trans does to ATF, but it's still a harsh environment. I can't think of a PS pump that I've replaced that didn't have thin, dark, smelly fluid in it. I've always changed the fuid in my PS pumps going back to the '70s and I've personally never had a pump go bad, or even be noisy.

Ford Australia specify Mobil 424 (or equivalent) tractor hydraulic fluid in their PS systems on Falcons.

It's a bit thicker, 9.7cst, and has a proper AW package, and just happens to be one of my new favourite lubes.

I've got about a half a system full of it in my Caprice, having jut replaced the power steering pump with a junkyard second after Mrs threw a few belts.

(Got a couple litres in the tranny too, just as an aside).

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Well at least it seams that cars and trucks do not have the problem that the steering system for a jumbo jet has when the fluid gets old.

Remember the one about the rudder that turned fully the wrong way because of old fluid?

there's a couple of half-truths in this - it was the 737, not the jumbo (747) that was prone to rudder hard-overs (not wrong way, but full deflection) when cold-soaked but that was due to faulty design of a servo valve that would not operate properly when it was exposed to fluid of a different temperature (not old, just operating at a different temp elsewhere in the system)...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well at least it seams that cars and trucks do not have the problem that the steering system for a jumbo jet has when the fluid gets old.

Remember the one about the rudder that turned fully the wrong way because of old fluid?

there's a couple of half-truths in this - it was the 737, not the jumbo (747) that was prone to rudder hard-overs (not wrong way, but full deflection) when cold-soaked but that was due to faulty design of a servo valve that would not operate properly when it was exposed to fluid of a different temperature (not old, just operating at a different temp elsewhere in the system)...

Correct.

Tell you friend he's wrong.

When we first took ownership of the car my ex-wife has now, a 2003 Mercury Marauder with 85,000 miles (not the one in my sig- that's mine), it had a noticeable P/S whine. I used the turkey-baster method to empty and refill the reservoir every few days and after a couple of weeks the P/S was as quiet as a new car. That was in 2007. The old fluid was a very dark red and now it looks like new ATF. The car now has 163,xxx on it and I still service it for her and do a quick drain & fill on the P/S at every oil change.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Toyota used Dex III for years. I just empty the reservior and refill every 30K or so.
Me too. I have used something as simple as a spray bottle pump to empty the reservior. Just changing that (I use the Walmart stuff) makes a difference.

In our one Ford, a turkey baster change or two totally eliminated the PS noise.
I think I used Mercon V, which was speced for the tranny, so I had some.

Complete ps flush and fill with VML Dex Merc on 96 S10. Smooth and quiet.

Boss taught me this 40yrs ago. When we serviced cars, we sucked PS down and replaced with fresh fluid. Also same thing with brake fluid. Didn't take 5mins to do this. Back then, that was service! I still do it today to my vehicles and the kids cars.
I've never had PS whine/leak or dark looking Brake fluid.
Maybe thats why I had 2 guys at same wanting my Dakota when I sold it!

Toyota used Dex III for years. I just empty the reservior and refill every 30K or so.
Me too. I have used something as simple as a spray bottle pump to empty the reservior. Just changing that (I use the Walmart stuff) makes a difference.

Can this quiet PS pump whine, changing out (never changed previously) PS fluid that comes out looking dark brown/black?

What is the correct PS fluid for late model Chevrolet light trucks. I've been meaning to do this on my 2006.

Do all Fords, particularly 2001 F-150 and 2007 Freestyle use Type F atf. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Correct.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yeah you should change it; it shears down. Ford has a particular whine that they must have trademarked 50 years ago.
wink.gif

Use Royal Purple PS fluid and it will quiet down.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Friend brought up a point, i said that to fix the ford power steering noise you have to change the fluid, he said that is a stupid thing and should not have to be done and that i am making excuses for a badly designed PS pump,

Does he think the Earth is flat as well.....
lol.gif
PS fluid is oil...oil wears out. Wow what a revelation.

I had an old Taurus that had black PS fluid in it when I got it. Obviously still the factory fill after +100k miles.

First I flushed it with the the cooler hose. Can't pour it fast enough. It gets out the old fluid but then the new fluid will start dissolving the black carbon that has built up and quickly turn the new fluid black.

So I would empty the reservoir and fill with cheap ATX. Kept doing this at 2 days, 3 days, 5 days, 1 week. When the fluid stayed red I then dumped it all and filled with some good synthetic ATX. Then once a year suck out the reservoir and refill. You will never again have dirty fluid.

You can take a white paper towel and put a drop on it, watch the dirt drop out of suspension as the oil is absorbed and the circle gets wide.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

Can this quiet PS pump whine, changing out (never changed previously) PS fluid that comes out looking dark brown/black?

My friend's 03 Jetta 1.8t had whine when turning the steering wheel, suctioned the reservoir three times, took out 2/3 liters and replaced the same volume, that got rid of the whine.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
Friend brought up a point, i said that to fix the ford power steering noise you have to change the fluid, he said that is a stupid thing and should not have to be done and that i am making excuses for a badly designed PS pump,

Does he think the Earth is flat as well.....
lol.gif
PS fluid is oil...oil wears out. Wow what a revelation.

Do tell. What properties of oil wears out.
I know the additives deplete and the viscosity improves break down however I'm pretty sure oil itself doesn't "wear out"
Please explain

Originally Posted By: TooMuch
What is the correct PS fluid for late model Chevrolet light trucks. I've been meaning to do this on my 2006.

Do all Fords, particularly 2001 F-150 and 2007 Freestyle use Type F atf. Thanks

I use M1 ATF in my Fords going back at least 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back