Delo 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This appears to be a mixed fleet (diesel/gas) oil. Have some vehicles rated 5w20, some 5w30 , none under warranty, ranging from 1996-2010 . Because this is an extreme cold weather rated oil, the viscosity is almost low enough to fall into a 20w range, so if I could get a sufficient supply, would it be a bad idea to use this as an "across the board" oil for all my vehicles ? My truck is on 10k OCI as my shortest drive is usually 1hr+ with a 50k a year average. The wife's gets 5k OCI, and the son's truck gets twice a year as his miles per year is very low. Any thoughts ? Thanks for your input.

I am hoping to get it in bulk (5gal)from Chevron distributor. Have never seen it on a shelf anywhere.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77115&docFormat=PDF

See if this link works to a PDF of the data sheet showing the oil's specs. I know Mobil 1 has 0w30, and I have used it before, but have always felt that a dual purpose HDEO of the same grade gave better overall protection due to stronger add packs. If nothing else , it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Yep, the only thing that gives me any pause, is the gasoline API rating is an obsolete spec (SH). However, all the engines I would use it in are older , proven designs. The sons 96 Ranger is 3.0L V6, which is basically bulletproof unless you do something truly stupid and abusive. Both the wife's and my vehicle are Ford modulars (4.6L) , hers is 3 valve and mine is 2valve. Both of these designs started out as a 5w30 spec, then later changed to 5w20 spec ( I believe more for CAFE than anything else) so I don't think the small viscosity difference will amount to any noticeable difference. Have yet to check the price on such an adventure....it may not be a viable option, but I will check anyway, and post the results.

Spasm3 , I also have a 25hp Kohler on a lawn tractor I would like to use this in as well. Right now it gets Rotella 10w30. Like I said, an HDEO 0w30 would save me a lot of time and effort.

I'm sure it'll work fine, but keep in mind that it's much heavier than spec'd if the engine calls for 5W20 or an API 5W30. I've used it two different high-boost Volvo engines, and it's great in those applications. Don't let the "0W30" part fool you, it's a thick 30W oil (unless it's changed). When I was using it I believe it was 3.5 hths or so. I know I had higher oil pressure with it than I did w/Mobil 0W40 or GC.

I actually got it bulk at a local indy Volvo shop. The mechanic there liked using it in redblock turbos. They had it in these giant drums and they'd fill up milk jugs for some ridiculously low price. My 740T would eat oil, and the Delo seemed to burn a little less than most. I don't recall ever seeing this stuff for sale retail.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I'm sure it'll work fine, but keep in mind that it's much heavier than spec'd if the engine calls for 5W20 or an API 5W30. I've used it two different high-boost Volvo engines, and it's great in those applications. Don't let the "0W30" part fool you, it's a thick 30W oil (unless it's changed). When I was using it I believe it was 3.5 hths or so. I know I had higher oil pressure with it than I did w/Mobil 0W40 or GC.

Cst of 52.2 @40c, cst of 10.3@ 100c, cst of 11000@ -40c, VI Of 190 would say it is not a thick 30wt at all. Hths is unknown.

I have been looking for HTHS values as well as NOACK , but seems harder to dig up than it should be...
smirk.gif

Garak, I was actually waiting for you to chime in
smile.gif
I was aware of the Delvac Elite 222 0w30, but like the Delo, have never seen it anywhere. Guess I would have to use a bulk distributor , just like my plan for the Delo . Do you see any issue with using this as an across the board oil for all the vehicles as well as lawn equipment ?

I think what Garak was saying, is the API specs are obsolete. For example, the gasoline rating is SH which is an old specification. Garak has probably forgotten more about oil than I know
smile.gif
My only reason for zeroing in on this oil,is that it is nearly a thick 20W and would come the closest to a 5W20 that two of my gas engine are spec'd for . It's close enough in my book, yet it has the stout add pack of the HDEO, and I am pretty sure a high PAO content (I know this is not the be all, end all) but it is a desirable trait for many. The Mobil he referenced has current API ratings, but is slightly thicker across the board (Garak, please correct me if I am confused). I just stumbled across it, and it appears to be sitting on the fence as far as 20W and 30W.

Originally Posted By: travlnman
I think what Garak was saying, is the API specs are obsolete. For example, the gasoline rating is SH which is an old specification. Garak has probably forgotten more about oil than I know
smile.gif
My only reason for zeroing in on this oil,is that it is nearly a thick 20W and would come the closest to a 5W20 that two of my gas engine are spec'd for . It's close enough in my book, yet it has the stout add pack of the HDEO, and I am pretty sure a high PAO content (I know this is not the be all, end all) but it is a desirable trait for many. The Mobil he referenced has current API ratings, but is slightly thicker across the board (Garak, please correct me if I am confused). I just stumbled across it, and it appears to be sitting on the fence as far as 20W and 30W.

Ah yes, the API spec reference makes more sense.

We have to take this all with a grain of salt I think. There is a margin of error for all these specs. For example, I have found two different PDS for the Delo, one showing CST@ 100deg C of 10.3, another that shows 9.8 , so I think we should not stress too much about it all. That was the logic I was using when I referenced the engines it will be used in. My 4.6L 2v is a design that probably goes back to the SH spec, and I bet if I looked up the tolerances (bearing specs, piston clearances etc) for my 2010, it would virtually match the spec for the first generation of these engines ( I have not done this..too lazy
smile.gif
) The wife's 3v engine only differs in the head design at it's basic level. I am fully confident that the son's 3.0 V6 in his Ranger would run on pretty much anything I pour into it, as those things are tough. Basically ,just looking for something I may have missed, that some very knowledgeable people here may be aware of. Sometimes I look at the details....and miss the big picture
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: travlnman

Delo 0W-30 is a HEAVY 30wt oil and it is a mistake to think it would be suitable for a 5W-20 (2.6cP HTHSV) application because of the relatively low kinematic viscosity spec's of this PAO based oil. This oil has a HTHSV greater than 3.5cP and as JOD pointed out it is as heavy or heavier in service than M1 0W-40.
HTHSV trumps KV100 and the reasons why was discussed in detail in the following thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2729671&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back