To much Fuel Additive-Now a CEL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to know how many of you that got too carried away with a fuel additive and it caused your CEL to come on? I did this on my sons 5.4L.. The code showed to be a miss fire.. The 5.4L had a slight shake at idle while light was on. Cleared code put 11 gallons fresh fuel in. Drove 10 miles on highway light stayed off. Idle shake is slightly noticeable now. No more MMO & TC-W3..

so you dosed an half empty tank with a bunch of additives?

and got a CEL?

More is not always better as you found out.

Last edited:
He had 1/2 tank..I added 4oz mmo & 2oz tc-w3..Filled tank-30gallons... Then 2 days later I had 1more pre-mixed 6oz bottle left... So I that what the heck just pour it in... Well 3 days later after I guess getting mixed in good... The code was thrown...I will switch back to FP60... I have never heard of this happening..

Stick with Techron and the directions on the label. Not a fan of MMO unless you got water in the cylinders, which is mostly a marine engine problem. And then its pouring in into the cylinders directly.

Plugs were changed 4 months ago..5.4L has ran strong until I double dose of additive. I wonder what all pertains to so called misfire code...I was thinkinga Senor was affected by the additive .."

I figure run this tank down to a 1/4 left. Then add Redlines SR-1 and fill taawith cleaning up any oily residue...left. by the mmo or tc-w3..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I figure run this tank down to a 1/4 left. Then add Redlines SR-1 and fill taawith cleaning up any oily residue...left. by the mmo or tc-w3..

At lease someone that uses that snake oil is able to learn.

MMO and TC-W3 and other fuel system "lubricants"
NOT approved of by manufacturers HAVE NO PLACE WHATSOEVER in your fuel system.

The only products that go into your fuel system should be standard gasoline at the pumps, and occasionally (not more often than 3000 miles) a product like Techron with PEA or other car manufacturer approved detergents. Follow the directions provided by the additive manufacturer DO NOT ADD MORE THAN ADVISED IN THE DIRECTIONS.

It's amazes me that folks today still insist on putting this snake oil [censored] in their vehicles.

I'm going to go ahead and say that the additives have nothing to do with your missfire - there's just not enough in there to affect combustion enough to cause a missfire. I'm also doubtful thay it broke carbon loose, causing a fouled plug.

Check your plugs to ensure they're tight and the coils/plug wire to ensure they're seated properly.

Strange thing is the vibration only shows itself when the truck is in drive and you are stopped with brake applied..It will not do it in park. But it does seem the park idle is down almost 100 rpms ..

I will look at the plugs and coils.

The question remains:- what was the reason you decided to double dose on MMO+TC-W3 ? It has been said enough times that increasing the MMO or TC-W3 does NOT give any advantage at all but has the possibility of reducing engine performance.

After thinking this out... 1st dose was 6oz-->4oz-MMO & 2oz-TC-W3 mixed with 30 gallons... Then added the second does which was the same.

8oz--MMO----->close to 500:1 ratio actually 475:1
4oz--TC-W3--->bit more then 850:1 actually 900:1

None of these are really over dosing.

I'm staring to think this is not related to the CEL! The Code showed a Misfire. The CEL came back on tonight... I will take it to the mechanic on Tuesday and have him scan it... Truck still runs great, just that small shake while the truck is stopped in drive and brake applied...

Thanks to all of you for your nice constructive advice.

Just had the truck scanned---->P0300-Random Misfire Detected

I'm kinda glad it wasn't a particular cylinder Misfire.

If any of you care, who know something about these codes... Can you kind give me a few ideas on what this might be... Lord knows it could be many things...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not a fan of Frods, but if I was,I would start by checking all of the vacuum lines-when they crack/split, it is always in a place you cannot see unless you get a 360 view on the hose and connection.
Are there any vacuum lines to the transmission? In the old days, there used to be a vacuum line to the mdoulator, but those are probably long gone by now

Thanks steve for your input: It is going in for surgery Monday morning... The mechanic said the additive had nothing to do with the CEL... With 174K miles on the stock coils... He thinks there is maybe one or two weak coils and are slowly going bad...

If he finds that the problem is a coil or coils... I will have him replace it and once I get the truck back, I will go ahead and replace the rest myself...

Steve I also thought of a small vacuum leak, that's actually what it feels like... but with these newer style motors... It could be so many more other things...

Once we get the truck back... I will report back... Time to go out back and Shake That Money Tree...

As you stated, I realized right away it was very close to recommended dose. No where near overdose.

Totally unrelated.

As of 4 days ago the check engine light was still on...And the truck still had a very small vibration when in drive and at a stop and brake applied... No other effects from the CEL...
We had already went through the tank of supposedly overdosed fuel... We filled up and I added 12oz of Redline SR-1... 2 days after doing this, while driving 65mph for 20 some min... The light went off and has been off ever since...

He has driven the truck for at least 50 miles since the light went off... Truck runs with no more vibration...

We still dropped the truck off at the mechanics shop tonight for him to run the codes tomorrow...

Anyway... I learned my lesson... Only --->
FP60/Redline SR-1/Techron/Gumout Regane HM.

I do have plans on changing out all the coils within the next month-->{Before it gets cold}

Well: Back from the Mech-->No Codes! No Issues! They ran a thorough check on every thing.. The CEL Visited then Left!

I will repeat myself--> I have learned my lesson

Now to do some research on replacement coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back