Wix $9, Royal Purple $15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth the extra money for RP? Ive used Wix the whole time, $9 from Napa and been hearing RP is even better and blows away the competition with their microcell technology thus filtering even that much better. Btw I change my oil and filter every 6 months at 6000-7000km.

Last edited:
Its great oil but IMO not needed for 6-7000KM OCI unless you beat on the car alot.....it would defintely over protect your motor though so for the price I guess it would be a good deal.....nevermind I thought that it was 15 for 5 qts but you meant 15 a qt.....defintely not worth the extra money...save the money and use Penzzoil, QS M1 or anything cheaper or go to 15k OCI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Its great oil but IMO not needed for 6-7000KM OCI unless you beat on the car alot.....it would defintely over protect your motor though so for the price I guess it would be a good deal.....nevermind I thought that it was 15 for 5 qts but you meant 15 a qt.....defintely not worth the extra money...save the money and use Penzzoil, QS M1 or anything cheaper or go to 15k OCI

The OP is talking about oil filters.

I'd stay with the Wix. The Royal Purple is a good filter, but not $15 good.

Wix is mighty good, are the Fram Ultras available up there? They are top teir and very competitively priced in the States. I don't see a value return for you in the RP.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

The OP is talking about oil filters.

I'd stay with the Wix. The Royal Purple is a good filter, but not $15 good.

Alright thanks. Wix is good but I hear its still a paper filter where RP is this microcell technology.

And if I do oil changes every 6-7k km,I guess it would be a waste change the RP filter out that soon since its called an extended filter.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wix is mighty good, are the Fram Ultras available up there? They are top teir and very competitively priced in the States. I don't see a value return for you in the RP.

I stay away from anything Fram.

Last edited:
Fram, like anyone else, makes cheap filters and expensive ones, and everything inbetween. I would not shrug off the whole company.

As for the OP's question: the RP filter is a really good one. If you can spare the extra $6 per change, might as well run it. Perhaps you can save a bit by ordering them in bulk.

At those prices with only a 6-7000 KM OCI, I advise neither. Find a brand name filter under about $5. Are your short intervals for a particular reason, such as the car being a short hopper or....???

Are you are talking an ordinary Wix @ $9 CND. That seems steep considering the USD exchange is close to 1:1 now. A regular Wix is no more than about $5 around here. $15 is about what an RP costs here, so this is a strange price disparity.

The RP will filter better, about 99% @ 20 microns per ISO 4548-12, versus about 85 percent for the Wix (may differ slightly according to actual part number). That might be be a benefit to your engine but you won't see it for about 500,000 KMs with such short intervals.

Options... extend the OCI or change the filter every other oil change.

You are wrong about the Frams... especially the Ultra. I don't buy any low end filter, Fram orange included, but the Ultra is a magnificent filter... as good or better than any other premium filter you can name and in any aspect you care to talk about.

Last edited:
I am tired....totally misread the post

+1.....if you can get the Ultra...go for it....but use it for at least two OCI's.

But IMO...even the the Ultra is overkill for your OCI. Go to a Ford dealer and see if they have a Motorcraft filter, reasonably priced, for your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Are you are talking an ordinary Wix @ $9 CND. That seems steep considering the USD exchange is close to 1:1 now. A regular Wix is no more than about $5 around here. $15 is about what an RP costs here, so this is a strange price disparity.

Depends on the car...the one for my Legend is $10.99 at O'Reilly's.

Originally Posted By: JavierG

The RP or the Wix. I know the smaller RPs are cheaper.

Other Canadian posters have lamented the lack of filter variety in their country. Purolators of any ilk being one of the harder brands to find.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Originally Posted By: JavierG

The RP or the Wix. I know the smaller RPs are cheaper.

Other Canadian posters have lamented the lack of filter variety in their country. Purolators of any ilk being one of the harder brands to find.

The Wix. Can't find RPs for it.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
I stay away from anything Fram.

I'd have no problem with the Fram Synthetic Oil Filter, as it's branded up here. If you want to check Partsource, they're a buck or so cheaper than their sister store, Canadian Tire.

However, it's going to be at least $1.50 more than the $9 you quoted for the Wix and will be overkill for your OCI, just like the RP filter would be. My supplier can get me RP filters, but I have to buy a case and I have no need for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back