Michelin Defender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one know the difference between the Michelin Defender and the Defender 'XT" other than being sold by a big box store ? Was it modified to make it cheaper ? TX.

Not modified to make it cheaper, different tread pattern to keep tire shops from feeling the competition from box stores. I'd consider them interchangeable. Michelin has done this a lot, the Michelin LTX vs the X Radial LT (same tire) spring to mind.

It may be that the xt is not directional and the defender regular is, but this may also vary by size. Personally I'd prefer a non directional tire.

Ya, Im with you on the directional thing. Its. easier to "fix" things by moving tires to the other side if you are having a problem. I thought the secret to. This tire was the tread design if you alter the thread is it the same tire? l

Neither tire is directional. The Defender appears to have some directionality to the tread, but it's not a directional tire. It is an asymmetrical tire, though, and they can be cross-rotated like any other tire.

The Defender XT is a symmetrical tire, meaning that it can be mounted with either sidewall facing in or out. I do like the tread pattern of the XT better, and I've had excellent service from club-only tires before (Michelin X Radial DT).

I wonder how much tires are statisically different regarding traction , wear , contact patch ect. I havent seen any specs listed for the xt . I would think if the tread was different the specs would
differ . With that being said I always buy at costco and have never experienced any issues. Im trying to decided if these tires are 125.00 better than the BF goodrich Advantage t/A for my Eldo . I hand the hyro edge tires before and thought they were ok but lacked a little on snow .

I just bought these DEFENDER tires last week for my 2005 Toyota Camry at $571.68 out the door bal/ mtd with 6% PA tax included. PLUS the $70 rebate is on its way. SOOoooo for $500 bucks I have new tires haaa!!! Took off Yokohama Avid TRZ....I hated them. The Defenders feel great / smooth / secure with 32.5 psi.
ALSO purchased MICH MS2's for my 2003 Chevy Silverado......so for a lil over $1100 for both rides , I'm MICHELIN equipped.
BOB

Originally Posted By: N3OO
I just bought these DEFENDER tires last week for my 2005 Toyota Camry at $571.68 out the door bal/ mtd with 6% PA tax included. PLUS the $70 rebate is on its way. SOOoooo for $500 bucks I have new tires haaa!!! Took off Yokohama Avid TRZ....I hated them. The Defenders feel great / smooth / secure with 32.5 psi.
ALSO purchased MICH MS2's for my 2003 Chevy Silverado......so for a lil over $1100 for both rides , I'm MICHELIN equipped.
BOB

Just did the same thing with my 2004 Camry in May. Replaced the Yoko Avid TRZ I got last time. Only had 35,000 on them but they had gotten so noisey. Have put about 5,000 on the Defenders this summer traveling and have done well so far. We drove through some very heavy rains on vacation and they felt great. Although, I am sure any new tire would. Hope they do ok in the winter in light snow.

"da kine" = pigeon hawaiian for "the kind" or, loosely, the kind of ______ that you are looking for when you are looking for the best; got that, hoser? also, "sled" = vehicle; it is not a reference to an iditirod sled or anything; if you get yourself some defenders you will be getting some excellent, smooth-riding, low rolling-resistant tires with a 90k mi warranty; they are a brand new design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tribocessive
"da kine" = pigeon hawaiian for "the kind" or, loosely, the kind of ______ that you are looking for when you are looking for the best; got that, hoser? also, "sled" = vehicle; it is not a reference to an iditirod sled or anything; if you get yourself some defenders you will be getting some excellent, smooth-riding, low rolling-resistant tires with a 90k mi warranty; they are a brand new design.

One must understand on a world wide forum that local colloquialisms are not universally understood.

"I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?" (ESB, Solo)
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
"locals only" another local colloquialism-local to hawaii, california, florida, australia, fiji, costa rica; it's surfer jargon; i try to think globally; isn't pigeon hawaiian spoken everywhere? the defenders would give some safety on icey roads in alberta; all the best, Smokescreen.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Neither tire is directional. The Defender appears to have some directionality to the tread, but it's not a directional tire.

I have been pondering that. It doesn't feel right.

I wonder if one side of the car or the other would be a little better at getting rid of water with that tread that "appears to have some directionality". If so, would the worse side be more subject to hydroplaning than say the XT model which appears to have less directionality. I presume the designers took this all into account.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Neither tire is directional. The Defender appears to have some directionality to the tread, but it's not a directional tire.

I have been pondering that. It doesn't feel right.

The slight directional design does not appear to help the average wet traction of this tire, as per TR's test.

Wet traction per se wouldn't necessarily be influenced by a directional pattern, but resistance to hydroplaning would be.

In theory, the Defender's tread pattern appears that it would be a little more efficient in one direction than in the other direction, in terms of evacuating water from the contact patch. That said, I understand that much of that water evacuation happens longitudinally and not laterally, so wide circumferential grooves are often as effective as a chevron type pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back