Valvoline NEXTGEN over already?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i go to my local wal-mart today to pick up the oil and filter for my up coming oil change. Been using Valvoline NEXTGEN for the past several with good results and intend to keep using it. I go there and i notice all there 5 Quart jugs are gone. Weird since i know its not exactly flying off the selves here in east Tennessee. So i settle on single quarts and WOW are they marked down. $2.70 a quart. Down from $4.97. I grab up five and notice the dust on the bottles is so thick i can draw on the top. So off to check out i go in the tire department and the clerk (Which i know you have to take walmart clerks with a grain of salt) is suprised to see me buy them. "Your the first one i have seen by this stuff" he tells me. I ask of course why the price drop and here is the answer. "We cant sell it, its worse than the plage, we already sent back the big jugs and are trying to sell of these quick has we can, the stuffs no good you know." of course i know its good has do all on this site. But i have seen the writing on the wall since day one. I cost the same has standard valvoline, and EVERYONE around here has the notion that "Recycled" anything is garbage, especally oil. This experience prompts me to call my Brother and friend. The brother works for a garage and tells me that even though they use only valvoline products he has never used it in a customers car. and the friend at the auto parts store says that in working there for a year he has maybe sold 100 dollars worth of it. So i want to know whats up. Any of you noticed it on sale, disappearing from selves, or collecting dust at your local stores. I like the stuff and like Valvoline was bold enough to try it. But from where i live it looks like the end is near. Although at $2.70 a quart I can assure you all im sitting pretty for my next several oil changes lol
wink.gif

I have some in my basement about 20 qts give or take, all purchased at AAP and Autozone, so I get the rebate and it is free.

To me, I am green, and the green I like is in my pocket.

If I were you, go to AAP and pick some up and go on line, fill out the rebate form and in 5 week you get the rebate.

I never saw this taking off. I believe if they would have priced it at the same place as ST or cheaper it would be a different story. They expected people to pay premium price, just to be green, and there are only a few that will do that.

I doubt it has been discontinued, maybe it is just not available at your local WM. This product just does not sale it is recycled oil you can send all the press releases in the world. The average consumer has a preconceived stigma recycled oil is bad for your engine.

As far as I know its still being used and sold...I gto alot of it free I got a Maxlife from Oreily;s that was marked same price as regular and it was free after rebate adn then 10 qts from advance free as well....my car has it in the crankcase for the last 20k miles and going good...dont see anything wrong with it and dont know why the wal mart is sending it back...have to check the ones here

Walmart will dump anything that doesn't move quickly enough.

Valvoline seems very committed to Nextgen I don't see them giving up just yet. In the meantime those of us who know better can take advantage of some great deals on great oil.

I hope they do not give up. I just bought my first round of NextGen and I plan to keep buying it. This stuff is the future, that and things like G-oil. I would buy 100% re-refined oil too if NextGen is any indication of what is possible. My Honda has no complaints at all so far with the NextGen conventional in it. I had to go to Michigan to get it though. (I go regularly)

This kind of thread happens all the time: G-Oil, Pennzoil Ultra, maybe others... just because your WalMart doesn't stock it doesn't mean it's being discontinued.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Walmart will dump anything that doesn't move quickly enough.

RIGHT!

My local walmarts started carrying the Mobil 1 0w20-30 in 2010. Last year in 2011 they cleared them out, no more. They said nobody was buying it. I got the last 4 5qt jugs of 0w30 for $15 apiece. Same with Mobil 1 15w50, I waited forever for them to start carrying this but it only lasted about 2 months and they stopped. Same reason, it wasn't moving. I think had they kept it on the shelf it would have started selling. Most in my area don't check walmart for the 15w50 becasue they never carried it before. I always check out the clearance section, stuff can get super cheap if they don't want it anymore.

Our local Walmart stocks all grades of NextGen, in both flavors (regular and MaxLife), and in both sizes (quarts and jugs). They have, by far, the best selection of NextGen around, beating any auto parts store. Other Walmarts only carry NextGen in 5W-30 and 10W-30. Some have clearanced out the NextGen quarts.

For as big of a company that Walmart is, and all the beaucracy that must go along with it, the stores seem to have a lot of autonomy in selecting merchandise for the shelves.

I'm not the biggest Valvoline fan but I feel the need to support this concept of recycling oil. I'm going to go get some FAR at O'Reillys as soon as I get paid on the first. I'm sure it will work just as good as VWB.

Don't people know that crude oil is way nastier than used motor oil, for the most part? Guess not.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I never saw this taking off. I believe if they would have priced it at the same place as ST or cheaper it would be a different story. They expected people to pay premium price, just to be green, and there are only a few that will do that.

Exactly!

They didn't give the general public enough of an incentive to adopt this product. And incentive is price related. I'm not sure why they insisted on giving the stuff away free via MIRs which is a money loser. They should have priced this product initially significantly lower than the regular product and perhaps over a couple of years raised the price to be on par with the white bottle regular product.

Also the brand does NOT explain adequately enough about what the product is or does. NEXGEN is one of those silly made up words that is completely useless.

Also I have NEVER seen tv ads that adequately explain what this product is with a little detail.

My guess is that by 2014 this stuff will be gone from the shelves, or rebranded something else.

It flys off the shelves here, mainly because VWB is always out. A lot of valvoline users in my area.
I can get 5qt jugs of any weight in VWB, Maxlife, synpower also has 5/w-30 Maxlife full syn in qts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
I'm not the biggest Valvoline fan but I feel the need to support this concept of recycling oil. I'm going to go get some FAR at O'Reillys as soon as I get paid on the first. I'm sure it will work just as good as VWB.

Easy to support with FAR LOL. Will you pay full price for it?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: jstutz

Exactly!

They didn't give the general public enough of an incentive to adopt this product. And incentive is price related. I'm not sure why they insisted on giving the stuff away free via MIRs which is a money loser. They should have priced this product initially significantly lower than the regular product and perhaps over a couple of years raised the price to be on par with the white bottle regular product.

Also the brand does NOT explain adequately enough about what the product is or does. NEXGEN is one of those silly made up words that is completely useless.

Also I have NEVER seen tv ads that adequately explain what this product is with a little detail.

My guess is that by 2014 this stuff will be gone from the shelves, or rebranded something else.

I'm with you here!! Except I feel it will not be rebranded and will come back with muh more informative and feel good ads.

I know better...yet still have little faith in recycled product. Its like if you told me a few years ago the VOLT was the way to go...YA OK!!

I feel a couple of brands sould have gotten together and pushed out a feel good add for the first 6 months to a year to introduce the product and push that if you care youll ask your local oil change place to use out products.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I know better...yet still have little faith in recycled product.

You have to remember most people think that synthetic oils are made in a sterile laboratory molecule by molecule also.

I have 2 Wal-Marts here in Oswego, one carries the full line up of NEXTgen, the other doesn't carry a single product. No idea how it's selling, but I'm not at all surprised the check out girl at Wal-Mart said it's no good. You should ask her for the lab test results she ran to prove it. Did it include a Sequence IIIG and a VG in all 3 stages?

I see it as a premium product, but the greenies didn't put their money where their mouths were. I like the concept and have a bit more faith in valvoline than in other rebranders. I agree that it should have been priced at least a few cents below regular WB. It wasn't.

I'll admit that I have maxlife nexgen in my truck - the first time ive run non synthetic since 1999 or 2000. I also have a ton of 10w-40 in my basement for my BMW.

It was worth a try FAR and based upon the UOA I had with it, Nextgen would be worth buying at normal sale prices.
I do think that Nextgen has raised awareness of Valvoline oils generally, always a good thing from a marketing standpoint.
Will the product survive?
Your guess is as good as mine.
If the product fails, you can bet that it will be some years before any other blender offers a recycled motor oil product at the consumer level.
The reason that Valvoline didn't price this oil below either VWB or red bottle Maxlife is that many shoppers would then conclude that it was an inferior product, which is clearly not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back