Got a lean code...think I found the problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days ago my truck threw a P0174 code (lean bank 2) followed shortly by a P0171 (leak bank 1). It seemed to be running fine aside from some pinging, no stumbling or drivability problems. O2 sensors were replaced 26K miles ago with direct fit Bosch (same as OE), and since the codes were for both banks I didn't think it was an O2 sensor that went bad. There was really nothing indicating a fuel issue and the fuel filter has been changed regularly, so I figured the problem was somewhere in the intake area or vacuum lines.

I checked all of the vacuum lines and they were good, but the PCV hose was shot.
IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

Over time it had collapsed in on itself, deteriorated, then developed a hole. I think that's my lean code.

Luckily Ford has updated the part with ribs to prevent the collapse and it is available...
IMG_2510.jpg

Yes, those are coolant lines on the PCV valve.

One little problem though, that tube has to go inside the intake manifold, and there's about 5" of space between where this part goes and the firewall. Luckily, in true Ford fashion, the key to everything is the zip tie. Yes, that black zip tie is a factory installed component of this part, and is what holds the tube in place.
IMG_2507.jpg

So off came the zip ties, and I was able to swap the hose part of this contraption while leaving the original tube inside the intake manifold.
IMG_2511.jpg

I did not have a matching black zip tie in the correct size on hand, so white had to do. I also replaced a section of brake booster hose that had a pinhole in it, and a section of vapor hose for the EVAP purge valve too. Hopefully that's the end of P0174 and P0171. The light is off for now.

The original zip tie did work fine, so I can't really fault Ford for using it, but only they would come up with a PCV hose this complex, then tie the whole thing together with a zip tie.

yup - had the same problem with the wife's Ford. The replacement was ribbed at the bend as an updated part.

lean codes on fords are usually lean at idle vacume leaks, lean at speed MAF use the freeze frame data on a code reader to see when it set the code.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I have the same engine and I really appreciate the fix..... thank you!

Your Freestyle has the 3.0 Duratec DOHC, so it's different from the 3.0 Vulcan pushrod engine in my truck, but I'm sure Ford came up with a similar contraption for your engine. Regardless of engine family, Ford likes hoses, vacuum lines, zip ties, and tape.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
I work at a ford dealer in your city, ford says a lack of oil changes helps cause this part to fail.
More like the classic blue oval engineering fail!
15.gif

I work at a ford dealer in your city, ford says a lack of oil changes helps cause this part to fail.

I bet they do say that! Do they offer up a reason why the part was redesigned if that was the case?

As this truck has never missed an oil change, I think 10 years/126,000 miles helped the part to fail, but it never would have failed in the first place if it was a better design. Leaking PCV systems aren't really uncommon on Fords. Don't get me wrong, I like Fords, but I'm also not surprised this hose failed.

That's true to a point... The contaminants & sludge that accumulate in the PCV system most certainly hasten the rubber hose demise, but sooner or later it usually happens anyway...

In my experience when the gunked up hoses are getting soft, the clean ones are usually still serviceable at 50-75% more mileage...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Regardless of engine family, Ford likes hoses, vacuum lines, zip ties, and tape.

Yup, and then blame people for not buying their car when these plastic and rubber pieces fail to keep the car running right.

Seriously, all those cost cutting probably cost them $50 in parts and labor during assembly but $500 in future businesses and warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back