Trans lube (6MT) for '13 Subaru BRZ and diff. lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for suggestions on trans gear lube and final drive lube for my 2013 Subaru BRZ. Factory calls for a GL3 lube in the trans. Hoping to change soon to something that might improve the shifting feel.

Redline MT90, Amsoil MTL and Pennzoil synchromesh are a few I'm considering.

Also for the final drive...factory calls for GL5 so again any suggestions. Looking at M1 gear lube or Royal Purple Max Gear.

Car has limited slip but it is a Torsen type (gear) so no limited slip additive needed.

Both the trans and final drive call for 75W-90 weight.

Thanks...

GL-3? You sure about that? I thought GL-3 was deprecated? GL-4 sounds right.

You could use Motul Gear 300 in both. It's a 75w90 dual-rated GL-4/GL-5. Excellent fluid.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Yeah that's what I thought but its right there in the manual.

You could use Motul Gear 300 in both. It's a 75w90 dual-rated GL-4/GL-5. Excellent fluid.

The manual does say gl-3

http://www.carsaddiction.com/files/articles/2012_subaru_brz_manual.pdf

page 415-416 is relevant here.

Manual transmission

Gear oil capacity (Reference) 2.3 qt. (2.2 L, 1.9 Imp. qt.)
Gear oil type and viscosity
Use either of the following:
• “MG Gear Oil special II”
• Other gear oil that meets API GL-3 and
SAE 75W-90 specifications
CAUTION
■Manual transmission gear oil
Using a manual transmission gear oil other than “MG Gear Oil special II”
may cause occurrences of rattling noises while idling and poor fuel consumption

and for Differential

Differential

Oil capacity (Reference)
1.20 qt. (1.15 L, 1.01 Imp. qt.)
Oil type and viscosity
Without LSD
• Differential Gear Oil LT
• Other gear oil that meets API GL-5 and SAE
75W-85 or GL-5 and SAE 75W-90 specifications
With LSD
• Differential Gear Oil LX
• Other gear oil that meets API GL-5 and SAE
75W-85 or GL-5 and SAE 75W-90 specifications

Weird. Other Toyota manuals have said "if GL-3 is not available, use GL-4." I can't even think of who makes a GL-3 fluid.

I suspect that the Gear 300 I recommended is still fine for both.

Originally Posted By: dparm

This sounds like a plan^^^!

I would call the Toy/Scoobie tech HQs and ask them about the GL-3 thing.
It sounds like a ploy to get you to spend more at the stealership (than even the costly, but EXCELLENT Gear 300) for an exclusive, but lower quality fluid.
mad.gif

gl-5 isnt necessarily superior to gl-4 or gl-3

just a whole lot more additives.. which can cause issues in a MT.
That transmission doesnt share with a front differential so I wouldnt use a gl-5

Last edited:
GL-5 is typically designed for different types of gears, namely differentials.

That's why dual-rated fluids like Gear 300 are so nice: you only need to order one type of fluid. The specs on it are awesome. I don't mind splurging a bit since it's not something I change very often (25-30k).

while its a very nice gear oil. I own a subaru that does call for gl-5 and shares a sump between a diff/mt

Any gl-5 you can find will be a compromise between shift feel worsening due to extra additives and getting enough protection for the differential hypoid gears.

I think the motul would be a GREAT gear oil for my application.

I'm just not convinced that its the best in something that could run on the equivalent of thick ATF (gl-3 gear oil)

I'd rather see a gl-4 only in that brz MT. Thats just my opinion though. In this case being so new its one of those.

Try it and replace it if you dont like it .

I ran redline 75w90NS in mine for 8k miles, now I have the walmart supertech 75w90 gl-5 in there.

the rear diff has subaru extra-s Gear oil.

I tried the subaru extra-s in the MT which many people liked but it made shifting terrible in my 5mt. It obviously works better in the 6mt transmission.

Next change will most likely be something exotic or amsoil.

I just did the supertech to flush out the redline that had remnants of the extra-s in with it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wkcars
Originally Posted By: wkcars
Found a gl-3 75w-90, don't have any other info or any experience with it though.

http://www.acdelcochemicalcatalogue.com/...;custom_search=

After some more searching, AC Delco 89021807 is for canada and the GM part # 89021806 for the U.S. market. With anything GM labeled, i'm guessing it's way over priced.

True, but so will the Scoobie/Toy GL-3 equivalent products from their stealerships.
wink.gif

Nice range of opinions, thanks. I was wondering though if Red Line MT-90 or Amsoil MTF by nature of their specific application for manual transmission use would be better. Or is a dual use product such as Motul Gear 300 going to work as well in a trans since it is also blended for extreme pressure (rear end) applications?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what effect if any is on shifting feel and trans operation.

Originally Posted By: Big Dave
Nice range of opinions, thanks. I was wondering though if Red Line MT-90 or Amsoil MTF by nature of their specific application for manual transmission use would be better. Or is a dual use product such as Motul Gear 300 going to work as well in a trans since it is also blended for extreme pressure (rear end) applications?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what effect if any is on shifting feel and trans operation.

The car (and drivetrain itself??) are too new for many to actually know this yet.

Are there forums/sites for this specific car yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back