Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member Vincenzo_F brought this oil to my attention due to it's high 186 VI.
I thought the oil had been around for a while since it only meets the BMW LL-98 spec' and not the LL-01 but i don't remember the VI being that high. Maybe the PDS info (see below) has been up-dated in this 2012 version:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx2/1171%20Synthoil%20Longtime%20SAE%200W-30_EN.pdf/$file/1171%20Synthoil%20Longtime%20SAE%200W-30_EN.pdf

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1171.html?Opendocument&land=DE

What is interesting to me is the very low KV100 of 10.1cSt for an A3/B4 oil and an apparent HTHSV of 3.5cP. This implies very high quality GP IV & V base oils are used. They do claim "Extremely low evaporation loss" so presumably the NOACK is very low, although it would be nice to know what it actually is.

Anyway this would be a nice alternative to GC with it's low 166 VI depending on availability.

I beat you to it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2373282

grin.gif

The specs I posted about last September seem to be the same, no?

Looks to be even thinner than RLI BioSyn 0w30, which is one of the better KV-to-HTHS ratios I have seen.

Not only that but I posted half a dozen times and I still forgot about it.

Anyway, at the end of your thread, hermit mentioned the MSDS of 2011 that produced a more realistic KV100 of 11.8cSt and 180 VI.
That's not much better than LM Longtime 5W-30 with it's 178 VI IIRC.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

What is interesting to me is the very low KV100 of 10.1cSt for an A3/B4 oil and an apparent HTHSV of 3.5cP.

Sometimes manufacturer's data is very confusing. MSDS shows KV100 = 11.8 cSt, KV40 = 65 cSt and PP = -57C which are completely different from those indicated in PDS. And what to believe to ?

The KV100 11.8cSt and 65cSt are more believable because that is much closer to the norm. The lower spec's implies some very special (read expensive) base oil chemistry which doubtful considering the oil's comparitive pricing.

The bottom line is that this is at least a HTHSV 3.5cP, 180 VI oil which I would prefer to other 0W/5W-30's like GC.

Caterham: Would you mind listing your preference, regardless of price, for 0W-30 full synthetic grades? I'm currently running RL 0W-30 but want the thinnest oil for startup. My V70 sees + 98% highway miles, a warm garage, rarely WOT. As always, I appreciate your contributions to this site.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The KV100 11.8cSt and 65cSt are more believable because that is much closer to the norm. The lower spec's implies some very special (read expensive) base oil chemistry which doubtful considering the oil's comparitive pricing.

The bottom line is that this is at least a HTHSV 3.5cP, 180 VI oil which I would prefer to other 0W/5W-30's like GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back