Plug and patch in shoulder of tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not up to the tire store whether or not they can fix it. Government gives them laws they have to follow. Back when i started in the tire industry we just plugged any whole unless it was in the sidewall. Now they mandate a certain area we can which is 2 inches from side wall apex and tge hole cant be more than a 45big degree angle or bigger than a 1/4 of an inch big... if the shop repairs the tire that is unlawful they are liable for any issues... if its unrepairable just replace it.. the safety of your family isnt worth a 150 dollar tire...

Unlawful? Please refer me to a statute, federal or state. You have 51 different ones to choose from. Please find it for me.

ScottyDucati / HW Eaton,

Before I explain this, let me state that I am NOT an attorney - I am an engineer. But I have worked with attorneys and here's how they explain it to me.

The RMA document cited is an "Industry Standard" as the term is used by the courts. It does NOT have the force of law, but it sets a precedent that all other things are measured against. Anything other than what is stated in the document is not recognized as "proper".

So anyone repairing a tire in ways not stated in the RMA document are not preforming according to the industry standard and as such could be judged in a court of law as being responsible for anything adverse that happens. Some think this has the affect of "Law", but it is more subtle than that.

Oh, I'm fully aware of the RMA standards. I just love how people try to cite them as law. Actually, what's interesting is that the NY Legislature has recently entertained a bill regarding tire repair, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Personally, as a shop owner, I almost wouldn't mind it because I get some very stupid requests regarding tire repair. Seriously, if it's a tire on a ranch feed truck that's driven out in the pasture only or an old beat up 15" for use on a disc or rake, I'll repair a sidewall. But on your car that runs 65-85 on the interstate? Um, no. Some people just don't get what the difference is, and it's exasperating at times.

Last edited:
If there is a side wall pucture or improper tire repair that comes into my shop for a state inspection it will fail because by state law if a tire is not repaired by rma standards it will not pass state safety inspection... the inspection manual is on the highway patrols website if you want to check it out...

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Personally, as a shop owner, I almost wouldn't mind it because I get some very stupid requests regarding tire repair.

If they don't get it, they should learn how to do a half baked repair themselves.
wink.gif
I can only imagine the nonsense they bring into your shop.

Originally Posted By: scottyducati
If there is a side wall pucture or improper tire repair that comes into my shop for a state inspection it will fail because by state law if a tire is not repaired by rma standards it will not pass state safety inspection... the inspection manual is on the highway patrols website if you want to check it out...

OK, so I went to the Utah Highway Patrol website and they have an inspection manual dated 2009-2010 and it doesn't reference the RMA document. It only says plugs in the sidewall are to be rejected. That's quite a bit different.

If I were a lawyer, I'd argue that only a plugged sidewall is outlawed - and even with that, it only means it fails inspection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: scottyducati

Until last month rope plugs were illegal in Maine, now it's "tech's discretion", whatever that is. A revised inspection manual now allows them.

They were against state inspection rules, and it's illegal to operate or modify your car against those rules.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Personally, as a shop owner, I almost wouldn't mind it because I get some very stupid requests regarding tire repair.

If they don't get it, they should learn how to do a half baked repair themselves.
wink.gif
I can only imagine the nonsense they bring into your shop.

Dude, some of this is half baked improper repair done by some hand out on the ranch that has taken the tire off of a rim out at a ranch trying to save a trip to town. I've seen all kinds of stuff. Steel or aluminum rim lips bent/gouged from trying to get the tire off, beads ripped from being taken off or put back on improperly, patches just laid in there, no buffing a all, inner liners scuffed to much so that belts/cords are exposed, patches put in and then plugs ran through the patch when it turns out the patch alone didn't work.

Man, it goes on and on. Then, once it's brought to me, and it's been mangled to the point I can't repair it, it's somehow my fault that it can't be fixed. Nothing like living the dream.

Man, it goes on and on. Then, once it's brought to me, and it's been mangled to the point I can't repair it, it's somehow my fault that it can't be fixed. Nothing like living the dream.

Of course, it's your fault you can't undo the bent rim lip!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back