Mobil-1 0W-40, new formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Cdn version of M1 0W-40 has been up-dated to SN. See the Cdn PDS below:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/Mobil_1_0w40.pdf

M1 0W-40 is not an especially great extreme cold performer, not with a MRV @-40 of 35,000cP.
A better cold performer at all temp's is the Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee XD-3 0W-30). It's a true PAO based synthetic with a MRV of only 14,900cP. That's better than most 0W-20s.
It's a heavy 30wt oil at operating temp's with it's HTHSV >3.5cP.

Something to consider.

Originally Posted By: irv
Not getting your point? What is MRV and what difference(s) does it matter with the temp at -40 or -54?

It does matter. Pour point is just what it is. I use it mainly to help determine base stocks, and even then, it's far from an exact science. M1's 0w-40's MRV is posted by CATERHAM, and, as he notes, is measured at -40.

You'll never get %'s but the 0w40 is most likely Visom, with other base oils. In fact, it was the subject oil in the Mobil PDF that was posted here awhile back that had to do with their switch to Group III+. I still think it's the best 40 grade on the market, including boutiques.

Originally Posted By: buster
I still think it's the best 40 grade on the market, including boutiques.

I agree in the States M1 0W-40 is hard to beat.
But in Canada Mobil has other great oils like the Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 and Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40. These are 100% PAO based with ultra low MRV's to show for it. The Delvac 1 ESP is a heavier oil than M1 0W-40 with an estimated HTHSV of 4.0cP but still has a much lower MRV of only 21,300cP.

If these two Mobil oils were available in the States they'd be a major hit on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: buster
Interesting, I didn't know that. Are they readily available?

No problem at an Imperial Oil distributor. CATERHAM likes the Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40. I prefer the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, at least for the higher TBN. I bought some a few years back for the old Audi. I don't recall what I spent on it, of course.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes the Cdn version of M1 0W-40 has been up-dated to SN. See the Cdn PDS below:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/Mobil_1_0w40.pdf

M1 0W-40 is not an especially great extreme cold performer, not with a MRV @-40 of 35,000cP.
A better cold performer at all temp's is the Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 (nee XD-3 0W-30). It's a true PAO based synthetic with a MRV of only 14,900cP. That's better than most 0W-20s.
It's a heavy 30wt oil at operating temp's with it's HTHSV >3.5cP.

Something to consider.

I was using because I seen the -54 pour point and figured it woulld be a great cold weather performer(other reasons as well)
I am curious about the -40 rating now so I wrote Mobil yesterday so we'll see what they have to say about the new rating and it's use in my 4 stroke snowmobile?
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

What grade and specifications are required for your snowmobile? There certainly are lots of choices out there, and we could help narrow it down if we knew exactly what it called for. For my snowmobile, I'm stuck in 2 stroke land.
wink.gif

I'm not sure about that M1 -40 C pour point, to be honest. We'll certainly need someone with more technical knowledge to chime in, but I find it odd that it has a pour point of -40 C yet an MRV test done at that same temperature. Then again, I think the Mobil Super conventional line has a pour point of -33 C, and MRV for the 5w-XX grades is measured at -35 C.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What grade and specifications are required for your snowmobile?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1869034#Post1869034

Good call. If it does in fact call for JASO MA due to having a shared sump, then I take back my earlier M1 0w-30 AFE recommendation. You don't want an oil with a lot of friction modifiers in such an application.

The OP should have posted this thread in a different subforum as many of us forget that this is not a regular PCMO application.

It does seem to have changed. Low temp performance seems to have taken a hit.
From Mobil..
Quote:
With the exception of Germany, this reformulation will be invisible to
consumers and B2B customers
There will be no proactive customer communication relating to this
reformulation. However, an internal briefing document and Q&A has
been prepared to allow sales to respond in the unlikely event of a
customer question.
Due to the unique definition of synthetic in Germany (Synthetic = 100%
PAO) this reformulation is visible to the consumer and B2B customers.
• A more proactive communication is being prepared for German use

In Germany and AFAIK the US and Canada it was a full synthetic oil now its a blend.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It does seem to have changed. Low temp performance seems to have taken a hit.
From Mobil..

The thing is, this change from all PAO to part VISOM formulation has taken place years ago, maybe 4 years or so (API SM)? It's strange that Canada is getting this changed formulation only now.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Good call. If it does in fact call for JASO MA due to having a shared sump, then I take back my earlier M1 0w-30 AFE recommendation. You don't want an oil with a lot of friction modifiers in such an application.

Thanks for showing me the specs he requires.

Anyhow, looking through my spec sheets, here's what I find for SG or higher and JASO MA:

Petro-Canada Duron-E Synthetic 10w-40, Duron-E XL 15w-40, Duron-E 15w-40, Duron-E 10w-30 (suitable for use for JASO MA, MA2).

Petro-Canada Duron Synthetic 0w-30 (CH-4/SM) is listed as suitable for use for JASO MA as well, and that's the correct viscosity.

Neither the Rotella 0w-30 or the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 show any JASO approvals on the PDS. There is almost certainly a PC distributor in the Oshawa area who would be able to help him out.

@Quattro Pete: You shouldn't be surprised. We barely got SN/GF-5 Mobil 1 a year ago.
wink.gif

It happened last year in Germany. In Sept there was still old and new on the same shelf with the same price.
It seems to still be good stuff though unless you really need that extreme cold performance.

Cam wear numbers are a little better but main bearing wear is a little worse, all in all its a wash.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Garak
What grade and specifications are required for your snowmobile?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1869034#Post1869034

Good call. If it does in fact call for JASO MA due to having a shared sump, then I take back my earlier M1 0w-30 AFE recommendation. You don't want an oil with a lot of friction modifiers in such an application.The OP should have posted this thread in a different subforum as many of us forget that this is not a regular PCMO application.

Friction modifiers, although it says so, ar not an issue with these sleds.
It has been proven time ant time again, they will not hurt these snowmobiles.
It was originally suggessted for Yamaha Atv's as they have a wet clutch, but these snowmobiles do not.

Anyways, this is my reply from Mobil today.
I am confused why the bottle states -40 yet in his letter it states -45?
I'm confused!

"The pour point is a static test and it can vary from formulation to
formulation, pouring of the motor oil is not important unless you just
want to be outside in -50F weather and watch the oil pour out of the
bottle onto the ground.

The cranking and pumping is whats important and the product still
delivers below -45F so your application can start.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-MJ

Do you understand the difference between pour point and MRV?

Also, he's talking Fahrenheit, and the MRV spec is given in Celsius. -45F is approximately -40C.

Originally Posted By: irv
pouring of the motor oil is not important unless you just want to be outside in -50F weather and watch the oil pour out of the bottle onto the ground.

-MJ

Any where that has the potential to reach -50F, is no doubt a great place to be FROM...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back