Oil Change Strategy for Volvo XC60 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post and I am looking for some guidance. I just bought a new 2012 Volvo XC60 with the 3.2 NA 6 cylinder engine. This vehicles comes with 5 years / 50,000 miles of complimentary factory service. The manual states the oil requirements as 5W30 with specs of GF-4, API SL, or ACEA A1/B1. Other viscosities like 0W30, 0W40, 5W40 are allowed. Synthetic is not required but is recommended, but would be an extra cost at the dealer. The service schedule is for 7500 mile intervals.

My question is this: Should I use the dealer provided and no-cost oil (said to be a synthetic blend) or should I provide my own synthetic oil? Are there any concerns doing a 7500 mile interval on synthetic blend on this vehicle?

The 2013 model year for this vehicle has been newly spec'd at 10k intervals but requires ACEA A5/B5 specification oil. If I go with synthetic oil at 7500k intervals, should I be concerned with the A5/B5 spec or just pick an oil that meets the 2012 model year requirements for this vehicle.

Thanks for guidance and recommendations.

A few questions. How long do you keep or plan to keep this vehicle? And what kind of driving/service does this vehicle plan on doing? City or highway or combo?
welcome2.gif

I plan to keep the vehicle for about 4 years and 80k miles. It is mixed suburban and highway driving. I would say two-thirds are highway miles and no significant stop and go driving. I used synthetic in the car being replaced by this Volvo but it was a Subie turbo and did shorter intervals.

Go with the Volvo supplied oil. It is Castrol GTX Synblend and is more than adequate for 7500 miles since your sump has about an 8 Quart capacity.

Originally Posted By: TTK
Go with the Volvo supplied oil. It is Castrol GTX Synblend and is more than adequate for 7500 miles since your sump has about an 8 Quart capacity.

+1.....Agree.

You paid for it in the price you paid for the vehicle. May as well use the service. A syn-blend should work just fine.

If you plan to sell your car privately I believe you will get a higher price with synthetic oil changes. If you decide at 80K to keep the car you will not regret the additional $35-40 dollars for a synthetic OC. Given the total cost of owning this lovely car it it is a small cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back