Kobalt Screwdrivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everybody's opinion on Kobalt screwdrivers? I have a set of craftsmen now that I have just about worn out. The medium sized Phillips is the one I use the most often and it is starting to strip out. Also have a few strait blade ones that are bent and you know once there bent and you try to straighten it out it is never as strong.
I have been looking at Kobalt brand from Lowes as a replacement but never used them before. I would like to buy something good that will last. Just wondering if anybody has a set and what there reviews on them are? Also will Sears exchange worn out screwdrivers? I know they will replace sockets and ratchets.

Sears will be happy to replace the Craftsman ones, no questions asked.

As for Kobalt, Last year I bought several sets of wrenches (metric and SAE) and so far have not been able to break or bend any, even putting another wrench on the shaft to extend it.

Chinese? No thanks.

Go to Mcmaster Carr and buy some US made. Id also consider Wiha, which is first world-made (Germany) and priced well.

Ive also gotten into just using a Williams ratcheting T-handle ($30 from McMaster, US made), and then a selection of screwdriver bits to do what I need. There is a Klejn 6 in 1 for if you need a straight shaft, also made in USA, less than $20.

With those two plus the bits, I have every size screwdriver, torx driver, robertson, etc that Ill ever need in a far smaller package and all made in the first world.

The Kobalt screwdrivers are nothing special, from what I've seen looking at them in the store. They're imported, for sure. I'm not opposed to that in all cases, but there are better choices.

I also wouldn't go with McMaster. You can get better prices and know what you're getting from other sources. I don't dislike McMaster, but this isn't the instance to buy from them.

The Craftsman Pros are USA made and a big step up over the regular Craftsman drivers. The Husky Pro USA made drivers are nice and $20 for a set. All these are made by the company Western Forge, which makes the regular Craftsman drivers.

Then, there are dozens of other quality USA made and European drivers.

Wiha, Witte, Wera, Williams, Wilde, Pratt-Read and many others. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head at the moment.

If you want something affordable and nice, I would point you to this Wiha set. I have them. They're made in Germany and quite nice, from my experience.

Here's a review with pics and more info:
http://toolguyd.com/wiha-ergonomic-screwdriver-set-review/

http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-Screwdriver-S...ords=wiha+46095

61vnGod5DjL._AA1200_.jpg

If you want to spend a little more, a lot of people like the USA made Williams drivers. They're basically a copy of the older hard handled Snap-on drivers. Snap-on owns Williams, BTW.
http://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-5MD-...screwdriver+set

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-100P-8MD-...screwdriver+set

71hEEaaanxL._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited:
As Wildman said, Sears will replace the Crafstman screw drivers.

I had several with tips broken, bent, rusted, I even had one that when my black lab was a pup he chewed the handle up. Took them back and got all new free, no questions asked.

Well I may take a few of my worn ones back to Sears. I can't turn down free replacements. I'm still considering a new set and I have a birthday soon so I may ask for a set. Thanks again guys for the recommendations.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I also wouldn't go with McMaster. You can get better prices and know what you're getting from other sources. I don't dislike McMaster, but this isn't the instance to buy from them.

I know that if I buy a $30 ratcheting t-handle from MCM, this is what I'll get:

62c8da51.jpg

And for $18 or so at HD, you can get a Klein 9 in 1 screwdriver. Add on one of the $5 kits of one of each drive type bit, and you're done with a complete set (including tory, hex, Robertson, etc) that will work beautifully for anything you do short of where a stubby or super-long driver is required

The Kobalt screwdrivers I purchased approximately 10 years ago feel really nice and are marked made in USA. The set I received for Christmas a few years back are not made in the USA and appear to be of much cheaper composition.

Don't forget Klein too - their Journeyman screwdrivers are really nice and not too expensive - I got a killer deal on eBay on a new but w/o box set.

I know you can find great deals on Craftsman Screwdrivers. They actually seem inexpensive for the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back