Oil for a 2013 Subaru BRZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '13 Subaru BRZ calls for 0W-20 oil. This has the FA20 engine. I plan on trying Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 at the first OC. Going to use an OEM filter...Tokyo Roki A130.

Any suggestions that might be a better alternative?

Thanks

Sounds like a steady plan do me, if I were you I would have waited till they released a turbo variant to buy though...

Either way It's a nice car, post up some pics though
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep the first few changes short to get all the new engine debris out.

Might be better to use something cheaper for the first couple.

you have to change at 7500mi/3750 severe for the warranty correct?
and lets not forget the famous subaru 7.5mo/3.75mo time schedule.

Last edited:
I am sticking with Subaru's own 0w-20 in my Forester until the warranty period expires. At that point I will explore other options.

I know that your BRZ and my Forester differ but you get the drift.

SUBARU-BRANDED SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

In 2010, Subaru of America, Inc. partnered with Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation to prepare Subaru-branded synthetic motor oil for applications in the new FB four-cylinder engine and in turbocharged engines. Researching and formulating Subaru engine-specific 0W-20 and 5W-30 synthetic motor oil ensures quality, performance, and, ultimately, customer satisfaction. This oil is available to do-it-yourselfers at Subaru dealers.

Subie Oil

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

In 2010, Subaru of America, Inc. partnered with Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation to prepare Subaru-branded synthetic motor oil for applications in the new FB four-cylinder engine and in turbocharged engines. Researching and formulating Subaru engine-specific 0W-20 and 5W-30 synthetic motor oil ensures quality, performance, and, ultimately, customer satisfaction. This oil is available to do-it-yourselfers at Subaru dealers.

Subie Oil

+1

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

Subie Oil

+2

the Subaru Synthetic appears to be a Group 3 oil similar to the Amsoil OE line (from Subaru's site "A synthetic base oil can be produced by using two different processes. Both processes start with crude oil) Amsoil Signiture is 100% Synthetic PAO oil not based on Crude oil.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
the Subaru Synthetic appears to be a Group 3 oil similar to the Amsoil OE line (from Subaru's site "A synthetic base oil can be produced by using two different processes. Both processes start with crude oil) Amsoil Signiture is 100% Synthetic PAO oil not based on Crude oil.

Is the Subaru oil, the venerable high-VI stuff? If so, it may be superior to the PAO oil for most drivers.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I am sticking with Subaru's own 0w-20 in my Forester until the warranty period expires. At that point I will explore other options.

I know that your BRZ and my Forester differ but you get the drift.

Thanks...I do get the drift!

dont drink that koolaid

Group IV is still made from a crude oil product.
just in a different way

its not a refined crude oil product but its made with crude oil ingredients.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Is the Subaru oil, the venerable high-VI stuff? If so, it may be superior to the PAO oil for most drivers.

Unfortunately the SN version of the Idemitsu oil is not a high VI oil; IIRC it's only 169 vs 197 for the SM oil that Mazda, Mitsubishi and Honda/Acura Canada use. Plus the SM version is high in moly.

I believe that the Toyota (Scion) version of this car spec's the TGMO 0W-20 which has a ultra high 216 VI, so I'm sure that oil could be used without any warranty issues.

As far as Amsoil is concerned, as mentioned the XL 0W-20 is a better choice since it's an API oil unlike the signature series and is lighter and therefore closer in viscosity to the spec' oil.

Originally Posted By: Big Dave

Any suggestions that might be a better alternative?

I would just run the XLZ if you want an "API certified" oil. Otherwise, the ASM is probably a good choice. If you drive hard, keep in mind that the owner's manual allows you to use a higher viscosity. Don't forget that some fuel dilution is to be expected with the DI engine.

-Dennis

The 14459 does not have the Subaru specified by-pass setting. The 14460 does, but does not have a ADBV. The only filter you can buy with everything specified by Subaru is the factory filter.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back