Mobil-1 0W-40, new formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I just purchased some Mobil-1 0W-40 on sale the other day at CDN Tire and noticed a few changes with the labels/info.

Namely, and the reason for this post, was it's advertised pour point of only -40?

I have a left over bottle from last year and I noticed the advertised pour point was -54, why the change?

The older stock has API SM,SL/CF and the newer bottle has ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 API SM,SL.
I would assume the formula has changed some but I don't understand the higher point point? Is the oil just as good as it's always been or has it been cheapened somewhat?

Sorry if this has already been discussed?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

This is the latest. PDS was last updated July of 2012.

Quote:
Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula (North America) or Protection Formula (rest of the World) Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for the latest gasoline and diesel (without Diesel Particulate Filters or DPFs) engine technology delivering excellent all-round performance. It provides exceptional cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 0W-40 keeps your engine running like new in all driving conditions.

Features and Potential Benefits
Mobil 1 0W-40 is made with a proprietary blend of ultra high performance synthetic basestocks fortified with a precisely balanced component system.

Meets or exceeds the latest OEM and industry approvals
Is chosen for factory fill in many of the world’s finest vehicles
Provides excellent overall performance
Has excellent low temperature capabilities for rapid engine protection at start-up
Has enhanced frictional properties that aids fuel economy
Delivers fast protection for reduced engine wear and deposits even in the most extreme driving conditions
Provides exceptional cleaning power for dirty engines.

Applications
Thanks to extensive cooperative development work with major manufacturers and the application of the latest lubrication technology, Mobil 1 0W-40 is recommended for many types of modern vehicles where it will help provide unsurpassed performance even under very demanding driving conditions.

Latest engine technologies including Turbo-chargers, Direct Injection, Diesels (without DPF) and Hybrids
High performance engines

Most operating conditions, from mild to extreme

Hybrids? Found that odd.

The latest PDS on Imperial Oil's site no longer lists the pour point, and it did list the -54 C pour point before, as you mentioned. I would guess that, assuming this pour point increase is correct, this reflects a reduction of PAO in the base stock. Incidentally, the pour point for M1 5w-30 is listed as -42 C on the site.

So, perhaps it's "cheapened" but it it still bears all the relevant approvals and specifications.

Originally Posted By: buster
It is SN.

Brilliant. This is very good.

I was always under the impression that an SN oil was better (than other oils) so I am liking this 0W-40 as a quality oil (for those that need a 40.)

It's probably using Visom, with PAO/V base oils. I notice they use the words "Ultra High Peformance Synthetic Basetocks" for this grade. Most oils use multiple basestocks.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The latest PDS on Imperial Oil's site no longer lists the pour point, and it did list the -54 C pour point before, as you mentioned. I would guess that, assuming this pour point increase is correct, this reflects a reduction of PAO in the base stock. Incidentally, the pour point for M1 5w-30 is listed as -42 C on the site.

So, perhaps it's "cheapened" but it it still bears all the relevant approvals and specifications.

Hopefully not but I will have to check out some recent UOA's to see if any noticable change was noted?
I do only use this oil in my Yamaha Vector snowmobile and I certainly don't plan on sledding in -40, but it has happened!

The -54 just gave me better piece of mind knowing that it is protected to that temp and knowing I would probably never get to that temp but now with only the -40, I do have some concerns?

Might be time to check out some other oils that exceed that -40 limit just to be on the safe side?
Any other options out there?

Thanks everyone!
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
The -54 just gave me better piece of mind knowing that it is protected to that temp and knowing I would probably never get to that temp but now with only the -40, I do have some concerns?

What really matters is the MRV figure at -40C. Does anyone remember what it was for M1 0w-40 in the past?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What really matters is the MRV figure at -40C. Does anyone remember what it was for M1 0w-40 in the past?

Not getting your point? What is MRV and what difference(s) does it matter with the temp at -40 or -54?

MRV tells you how thick the oil is at a given temperature (-40C in this case). The lower the value, the better the flow at that temp. So I was wondering how this value changed from old to new formulation.

The older stock has API SM,SL/CF and the newer bottle has ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 API SM,SL.

Did anyone notice neither of these bottles are SN???

Now to clarify, I'm not saying the NEWEST M1 0W-40 isn't SN, just that these "sale" priced bottles are not... May be why it was on sale???

FYI, if you're really concerned about cold/startup flow at such low temps, you'd be better off using M1 AFE 0w-30 and not M1 0w-40. MRV for M1 AFE 0w-30 is much better.

FYI, if you're really concerned about cold/startup flow at such low temps, you'd be better off using M1 AFE 0w-30 and not M1 0w-40. MRV for M1 AFE 0w-30 is much better.

Thanks, and I believe you are right as far as the AFE oil goes.

When I first bought this sled and was wondering what oil to use, (other than the crazy expensive cheap Yamalube oil), the AFE 0W-30 oil was not available so that is why I chose the 0W-40, and due to the fact it had a higher ZDDP content.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1868692#Post1868692
Now that I see I can readily purchase it, I think that is now the oil I am going to use from here on in?
Just wish I didn't purchase 6 bottles of the 0W-40!!!
mad.gif

Last edited:
If in a garage, then you're probably not starting it at -40C, even if it's -40C outside. I'm guessing the temp in the garage is higher than that. So you don't really need to be concerned about cold oil flow at that temp.

If in a garage, then you're probably not starting it at -40C, even if it's -40C outside. I'm guessing the temp in the garage is higher than that. So you don't really need to be concerned about cold oil flow at that temp.

That's all very well but it doesn't do me much good when I go away riding for a week-end or longer.

Like what was written above, I think I am going to go with the 0W-30 AFE when I run out of this stock, or sooner if we have a cold winter ahead of us?

Got it. I would look for a 0w-30 oil with the lowest MRV then. M1 AFE is probably one of the best there, but there may be others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back