What coolant for a 2az-fe 4 cyl Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 150k miles.

Had a Wynn's coolant flush done about 2 years ago and I believe Peak Global Lifetime (yellow/orange color) was put in.

Is it ok to stick with this (aluminum engine) or should I get Toyota red from the dealer, or go all out and get Amsoil's Polypropylene Glycol AF?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have used Toyota red for both my Toyotas, and have replaced the water pump in the Sienna. When I last did that about 100,000 miles ago the inside of the engine (and the water pump) was pristine. No deposits, no nothing. So I'm pretty much a believer in the stuff. I was changing out the water pump just because I was doing the timing belt, not that it had failed.

The Sienna is due for another timing belt change so I will have another data point in a few weeks. My local dealer has the red concentrate for a reasonable price (about $23) so it isn't a big deal. Use distilled water to dilute.

Peak Global is excellent coolant. I just would do a drain & refill of the radiator every year or two. No flush is needed.

No need for anything from the dealer. Zerex Asian is also excellent coolant for your Japenese vehicle.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I have used Toyota red for both my Toyotas, and have replaced the water pump in the Sienna. When I last did that about 100,000 miles ago the inside of the engine (and the water pump) was pristine. No deposits, no nothing. So I'm pretty much a believer in the stuff. I was changing out the water pump just because I was doing the timing belt, not that it had failed.

Did the same on my !echo!; over 270K on the original WP and I had the dealer save the part; Looked like it just came from the factory. Toyota red left me a total believer in extended use of that particular coolant.

I've got Peak Global in everything I own and most everything else I work on.

Very happy with it as no issues have been found for many years and miles.

I'm doing drain and fills every 3 years (mileage does not matter to me) with a good mix of distilled and PGL.

Bill

Peak Global Lifetime full strength with distilled water on the side, is your best value. Usually can be ordered from NAPA and perhaps now even Wally online, but you may need to double check the latter to make sure it's the full strength PGL.

PGL will be fine for your application. Zerex Asian Formula is another option. However, it's premix and for that reason it wouldn't be my preference.

What year? If its 02-04 like me we have a unique problem where the headbolts can strip, the head pops loose and thats it, your done. Examining the reports of failures in detail, most were cheaping out on coolant. So I would not play games with alternate coolants that could lead to aluminum corrosion/electrolysis/overheating. The only alternative I would trust is Zerex Asian.

Because its concentrate, once the Red is mixed 50/50 you now have 2 gallons, the price is cut in half, so the "expensive" claim is bogus. Its the same Price as Zerex Asian.

Red is not the same as pink chemically, and because its pre-mixed costs more.

I've had no replacement parts, no issues with Red 50/50 distilled drains every 40-50k.

In general: None of the Toyota coolants (or any other coolant) are 100k coolants no matter what the claims say. Too much conductive aluminum for that to happen. And when the inhibitors go south you got a big mess on your hands. Stay short, do it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back