Going tubeless or replacing a 29er tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 2011 Scott Scale 29er sees a lot of real off road use. Not huge jumps, but plenty of logs, rocks and nasty terrain, plenty of times I've heard pops or hit stuff and wondered why my tire didn't blow out.

Well it's not holding air on the front any more.

My wheels aren't anything fancy. Rims are Alex XC-49 Disc 32H / Eyelets.

How do I tell if I can make them tubeless, and is it worth it?

I haven't gotten a wheel bad out of true on rocky technical stuff yet. I don't mind waiting if I'm better off doing it on a purpose made set from Swiss or Mavic or whatever brand is recommended.

If I'm just going to stay tubed, any recommendations? I bought the scale because it felt lighter and more agile than other bikes I was looking at, which were actually a lot more (my price range was $1000-$1200 more tante bike I bought. I just love how this bike rides and handles, and don't want to mess that up with unsprung weight. Granted I'm splitting hairs with something like a tube... But it's what I think about sitting on the beach.

I've historically used continental tubes, but haven't seen any 29, though I haven't looked really hard. Recommendations??

Thanks!!

You could probably convert them using the Notubes kit (note: I've never used the kit, or tubeless in general).

I always just use whatever tubes are on sale. Currently I have some Bontrager 29x1.75-2.35. They seem fine. I don't think a tube weighs enough that you would notice a difference in weight, unless you buy one loaded with Slime or a heavy-duty one or whatever.

tubeless conversion kits some trial and error.... to get a proper seal.

I went with Stan's Arch EX rims laced up to SRAM X9 hubs and Specialized The Captain Control & Renegade Control sealed up and inflated the first time... 29er of course.

I have Bontrager race 29er wheels with Shimano hubs. I went tubeless beginning of the summer. I haven't had any issues thus far. When trail riding you can run alot less air pressure which is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back