Which Oil Works Best In Winter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which oil works best in the winter between these three and why?

1) Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30
2) Quaker State green bottle 5w30
3) Valvoline white bottle 5w30

They work the same....wouldn't this be be defined more by engine and use here?

Remember, not everybody has a winter....

All will perform in a similar fashion because they are all 5w. If you were to use a 0W, then that would be "better" for cold start lubrication.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I would say we're splitting hairs. I've used the first two in winters up here with neither regret nor problem, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the VWB, either. One could probably find some CCV and MRV differences if one were so inclined, but if one is that concerned about it, one could always peruse some synthetic 0w-30 CCV and MRV specifications.

Some 5w-30s have better ultra-cold specifications than others, but unless you're in terrible, terrible cold doing unaided starts, it's not that big of a deal, and even then, I don't worry too much about it, even here. For example, if I recall correctly, some of the Petro-Canada oils beat PYB and QSGB in that regard, but I haven't rushed to switch oils, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

I would say we're splitting hairs. One could probably find some CCV and MRV differences if one were so inclined, but if one is that concerned about it, one could always peruse some synthetic 0w-30 CCV and MRV specifications.

Some 5w-30s have better ultra-cold specifications than others, but unless you're in terrible, terrible cold doing unaided starts, it's not that big of a deal, and even then, I don't worry too much about it, even here. For example, if I recall correctly, some of the Petro-Canada oils beat PYB and QSGB in that regard, but I haven't rushed to switch oils, either.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back