No 0w20 in Australia and this is why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on another forum.
Interesting to read that 0w20 in North America is only used because of the CAFE requirement.

G'day to you as well, sir.

The short answer to your question is 0W-20 weight oil is distributed principally in North America in response to the demands of the United States' automobile industry, which must meet the requirements of the U.S. "CAFE" (corporate average fuel economy) law or pay graduating penalties for failing to do so. The lower viscosity of 0W-20 weight oil saves fuel principally on start-up at lower temperatures, and it performs well in a relatively low rpm, light-load operating environment. Urban environments, in other words. When used in millions of automobiles, it results in a significant fleet-wide fuel savings. Moreover, to the extent that an automobile manufacturer's fleet average betters that required by U.S. law, a manufacturer can earn and sell the energy credits to other manufacturers, and Honda does this. Honda's U.S. energy credits are worth literally tens of millions of dollars each year. Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$. In the absence of those financial incentives, however, the potential fuel savings for individual vehicle owners are simply less important. And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Colt
Interesting to read that 0w20 in North America is only used because of the CAFE requirement.

So it's ONLY used because of the CAFE requirement?

And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

Ah, now we get to the true reason. There are different operating conditions in Australia than there are in the United States, so a different oil is specified? Cool; got it.

wink.gif

G'day to you as well, sir.

I have another point-of-contact for you at Burswood Honda. A gentleman in their parts department, Pascal Chennen, contacted me to offer his assistance as well. He can be reached at (08) 9311 834 756.

The short answer to your question is 0W-20 weight oil is distributed principally in North America in response to the demands of the United States' automobile industry, which must meet the requirements of the U.S. "CAFE" (corporate average fuel economy) law or pay graduating penalties for failing to do so. The lower viscosity of 0W-20 weight oil saves fuel principally on start-up at lower temperatures, and it performs well in a relatively low rpm, light-load operating environment. Urban environments, in other words. When used in millions of automobiles, it results in a significant fleet-wide fuel savings. Moreover, to the extent that an automobile manufacturer's fleet average betters that required by U.S. law, a manufacturer can earn and sell the energy credits to other manufacturers, and Honda does this. Honda's U.S. energy credits are worth literally tens of millions of dollars each year. Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$. In the absence of those financial incentives, however, the potential fuel savings for individual vehicle owners are simply less important. And then there's the fact that 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils provide a greater margin of viscosity film-strength in a higher rpm, higher-temperature environment, which is what you are much more likely to experience in Australia.

I like it. Insightful. I'll be interested in the responses here.

Well, I guess the debates are over. Yep, the Burswood Honda parts department is the world's authority on oil, CAFE and the U.S. Auto industry. No doubt about it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

So it's ONLY used because of the CAFE requirement?

The original post didn't say it was ONLY because of the CAFE requirements.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

It did. And I quoted it. It's in the second line of the post, directly following, "Saw this on another forum."

Did I misread it?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Well, I guess the debates are over. Yep, the Burswood Honda parts department is the world's authority on oil, CAFE and the U.S. Auto industry. No doubt about it.

Actually, the original thread -- it's on www.crvoc.com, btw -- quoted Honda Australia, not just Burswood Honda.

But, FWIW, none of the major oil companies distribute 0W-20 in Australia. Feel free to check their Australian websites.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Hounds

It did. And I quoted it. It's in the second line of the post, directly following, "Saw this on another forum."

Did I misread it?

No, no. I guess I wasn't clear. The original post is on www.crvoc.com. It doesn't use the word "only" WRT the CAFE requirement.

In reality, some operating conditions in the USA are tougher than AUS. Now generally AUS is warmer, so of course a nominally higher viscosity oil at start ups is no big deal.

That said, I think the myth about engines using XW-20 wearing out in 100K is well put to bed at this point. Use the required viscosity. Well except when we find out it's too thin
banana2.gif
lol.gif

It's a good answer because it blames another country and gets the customer off the back. The customer will say, oh yes of course and life goes on.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's a good answer because it blames another country and gets the customer off the back. The customer will say, oh yes of course and life goes on.

My thoughts exactly...

If my fiance drove more like a rally-car driver than how she really does, like a gramma, I'd most likely use a stouter 5W-20 or 0W-30. Based on her driving habits and our climate, I'd ideally run as light as possible; however, what I generally use is what's cheapest, since in her Civic it just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Absolutely.

Im guessing Honda use 10w30 here. They will use that because it is cost effective and it will be a grade approved by Honda. Toyota also uses 10w30 and not 5w30, I'm sure for the same reason.

It's hard enough to get a dino 10w30 here, let alone 5w30 or any 20 grade. Life usually starts at 40

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Ever notice people from other countries try to tell us what kind of oil to use.

tig1, I don't the comments are from someone in from Australia. See http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/69-c...-model-crv.html
Based on this guy's other comments on crvoc.com, I think he may be a NHTSA/EPA lawyer, but I'm guessing. He also apparently knows how to turn a wrench. The response was sent to a CR-V owner in Australia who wanted to know why 0W-20 weight wasn't (more) available in his country.

Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$.

I'm going to say this is a typo and the author meant "billion".

Wow, Toyota must be doing great if they have made three trillion dollars...

I have a hard time believing that Driving the NJ turnpike in July is that much tougher than any application in Australia... Let alone all the cars driving hard in TX, AR, NM, etc.

Plus the cold starts?

The only difference that I can see is that in NA most cars are forbidden from pulling trailer loads and whatnot, while in the rest of the world, regular cars are used for a lot more diverse hauling...

Originally Posted By: tig1
Ever notice people from other countries try to tell us what kind of oil to use.

So which country is drowning in government "fuel economy" regulations, and which is more likely to base specifications on lubrication requirements only?

Last year, for example, Honda earned over $900 million from CAFE energy credit sales. Toyota Motor Company earned near three trillion US$.

I really don't think that Toyota earned $3 TRILLION in CAFE energy credits last year.

"20W50- it's australian for oil, mate; dinosaur droppings! give me 0W20 premium synthetic, esther; gas savings, less start up wear, no purchase of a new engine required; how many snow storms are there in australia? no politics- just the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back