CUT OPEN Used defective Denso Toyota oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that the Japanese Denso are the ones with the spongey filter material, and the Densos with this type of setup are made in Thailand. Which makes me suspect this as a fake as well.

I was also under the impression the Toyota-branded Thailand Denso were endcap-free, while the Denso-branded ones had metal endcaps.

Both of those facts suggest to me that this was a fake Japanese Denso, since the spongey-type media ones are in somewhat high demand and command a premium price.

FWIW, I buy the Denso-branded Thailand-made filters for my Honda vehicles on RockAuto. If you play around with the number of units, you can minimize the shipping price per unit if you decide to go that route.

I like them better (my opinion only. not trying to start a debate) than the Toyota-branded ones because they have Silicon ADBV's and metal endcaps.

Do all Wix filters have silicone ADBV's?

The 'non heat-shield section' of the exhaust manifold surrounds the filter so it is always next to some high temps.

I might try a Vega filter in the future aswell.

Denso has very, very high manufacturing standards. No sarcasm. I couldn't believe that was a Denso filter since it had all those defects.

That filter is not looking like it's Denso spec. I didn't even know counterfeit filters existed? I guess I do now.

Originally Posted By: N7Quarian
What's the difference? Silicone is orange and Nitrile is a pinkish color? Or black?

All the silicone ADBVs I've seen in person have been orange or reddish. I believe Royal Purple's filters use a purple silicone. The nitrile ADBVs I've seen are black.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Denso has very, very high manufacturing standards. No sarcasm. I couldn't believe that was a Denso filter since it had all those defects.

The only thing that looked at all reasonable on that filter was the paint job. Everything else looked cobbled together.

I ran Mobil 1 15-50WT in a new 1989 Honda Prelude for 280K miles without any problems. I lived in Arizona and Southern California.

If I dropped down to the 10-30WT I would burn about 1 quart between oil changes (5000 Miles OCI) so I stepped back up to the 15-50WT.

I wonder what reaction a person would get if they posted they were running Castrol 10-60WT?

LOL Toyota of Venezuela can kiss my [censored]. Bunch of crooks and I need to write a book about what [censored] they do here.

In other words they do that all the time with parts like that.

I service my car. But I did buy the filter somewhere else.

And frankly the 'Toyota' filter costs about 70% more than the wix that I bought. And the Wix has a silicone ADBV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back