Oil Recommendation - 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
It's been a while, but I am back to search for an oil (and maybe oil filter) for my new (to me) car. I recently bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Automatic with 18k miles on it. I am over the 3k mile mark, and am getting ready to change the oil. I have previously used Kendall Semi-syn 5W-30 for my vehicles, but this will be the first change for this car. I have always changed my oil around 3k miles, but I think I will extend this to 4k or so, but that is subject to change.

I have enough Pennzoil 5W-20 to change the oil once, and some old school S.L.O.B (does anyone use this anymore?) that have been sitting around for a few years. Will that be ok to use once? Should I always stick with one oil that I like?

I would like to see what you recommend.

1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well - 5W-20, Hyundai recommends Quaker State, API Service SM*3, ILSAC GF-4 or above, 4.6 qt. Hyundai says change at 7500 miles, 3000 under severe conditions.
3. Where you live - Central Ohio
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - Easy, but faster when occasionally needed
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - 40 round trip workdays, mostly highway miles.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - Nothing known, car has 20k miles on it.

OE filters are the way to go on Hyundai's. I own two of the 2.4L Hyundai motors. They love PP 5w-30 oil. I gave up on 5w-20 in these motors. No matter which 5w-20 I tried the 2.4L motors sound like they are coming apart.

Last edited:
my last car was a sonata w/ the 2.4l (granted mine was a 2000 model, and my 2.4l, and your 2.4 are different engine designs)

I hope for you, that your sonata will be as good to you as mine was to me. 94k largely trouble free miles in 8.5 years before i sold him.
I always Ran Valvoline nearly always 10w30. for multiple(non-oil related)reasons
a. convenient valvoline instant oil change location right in front of my work
b. see reason a
c. dad's cousin worked for ashland, so we primarily used their prods.
that car always used oil. approx 1qt/1k mi. nothing crazy manual/oil cap called for 5w30, the one time i ran that it got REALLY low in 3k miles.(when i pulled into the shop, it was "off the dipstick"
hopefully they got the consumption issue worked out in the intervening 10-11 yrs.
the only normal maintenance issue i had with that car, it was not happy with any non-Hyundai belt. would start squealing like crazy within a couple months.
put the OE belts on, purrs like a kitten.

what's S.L.O.B.?? diferent name for a frankenbrew? (Some Left Over Bull)??

PYB 5w20....Purolator Classic filter....5000K OCI.

Since you drive mostly highway workdays (40 mi.R/T)....and would be willing to pay a little extra for a synthetic....I would go with either M-1 0w20...or PP 5w20.....7500 OCI....and a Purolator PureOne Filter.

IMO....changing conventional oil at an OCI of 3000 or 4000....is a waste of time, $$$ and resources....and 'old school' thinking.

Get with it....3000 OCI's are a thing of the past!

I won't comment on oil except to mention that I prefer Kendall GT-1 5W20 syn blend with titanium at $3.70/quart for my Hyundai.

However, regarding a choice of oil filter, there is no finer filter available than the OEM filter manufactured by Hyundai corporate affiliate Mobis.

Examine any source of reputable info available (e.g. Hyundai forums, bobistheoilguy.com, etc.) for user testimonials, photos/structural comparisons of cut open OEM filters vis-a-vis others, and personal examination to determine the superiority of Hyundai OEM filters for your application.

At ~$6.00, the OEM filter quality and adherence to Hyundai specs is a bargain plus.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I think you mean 5K (5,000 miles), not 5000K (5,000,000 miles).

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I think you mean 5K (5,000 miles), not 5000K (5,000,000 miles).

Thanks for correcting me.

Curious....where do you live in the NW ?

2011 Sonata has DI and will water down the oil with fuel. The factory filter is the way to go because many Hyundai cars have issues with aftermarket filters. I have this engine in my Kia Optima. Used 5W30 after the FF and it seems to sound better and the oil looks to be in better shape than the FF which I assume was the recommended 5W20. When you change the oil you will realize how much fuel is in the oil. It just about knocked me out under the car when I drained it. Just making a recommendation from personal experience. Runs quieter on 5W30 and so far not getting as dirty as it did on the FF. No difference in fuel economy either since switching to the 30wt oil after almost 3k miles now.

I have the non-DI version of that engine, and its been very good to me over the last 112k mi. I would agree with other people's recommendations, and to run an OEM filter. You can buy a pack on Ebay for $5.00ea. I am currently running an after market filter, and while I have noticed no issues, the OEM is a very nice filter (Solid, well constructed, lots of media), especially for the price. I will be running these in the future.

If you are going to keep with the low OCI, I would run Mobil Super 5k, Valvoline, or PYB. I've had no issues with any of those 3. If you are going to run Syn, I believe you can go with a much longer OCI , however, I do not have DI on my engine so I am not speaking from experience.

I am currently running a short OCI (3k) on dino to get on a 6mo Nov-Apr, May-Oct oil change schedule, where I will run a good quality Syn like PP or QSUD.

Here are my current "stats"
1. What kind of vehicle you have - 2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L
2. What your owner's manual says -- 7000 normal, 3750 severe
3. Where you live - Minnesota
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?) - Easy, but faster when occasionally needed
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?) - 38mile round trip workdays, mix of hwy and city.
6. Whether your car has any known problems - None

I have a 2011 Kia Optima with the same engine. I have run 5W20 since new and I think I will try a 5W30 next summer. I would agree to stay with the OEM filter. It is physically heavier than any other filter that I could get for this engine. I am not saying that heavier is always better, but it is an indication of the workmanship.

Last edited:
I have the non-DI version of this engine also. My engine doesn't sound like "it's coming apart" on 5w20, and I live in Texas.

That being said, it doesn't return better mileage on 5w20 vs 5w30, either. But I have a big stash of 5w20 so I'm sticking with it. My girlfriend's car spec's 5w20 or 0w20 so it's easier just to buy one grade and use it in both cars.

I agree with the others, use OEM filters. Hyundai and Kia use the same part number for the filters so you can search for either. I got 10 of them off of Ebay for $40 recently.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys!

I will definitely check out the factory oil filters, I have to go to the dealer soon anyways. Hopefully they don't charge more than ~$5 for them.

I have a bunch of PYB 5W-20, I think I will mix it with 5W-30 until it's all used up. Then if I think it quiets the engine, I will stick with just 5W-30 and a 4-5k OIC.

It is really hard to pass up the local Firestone offering $20-$22 oil changes, supposedly using Kendall GT1 Semi-syn, but I need to at least use the stash I have for now!

Oh, and SLOB is "Street Legal Oil Boost" - the one in the pink bottle.
wink.gif

i like mobil super for a 3-5k oci. for a 7500 mile oci any good synthetic will do great. i like Amsoil OE, mobil 1 and valvoline synpower best. but all brands of oil are probably sufficient nowdays. and just stick with the 5w20. 20wt's protect just as well as 30 wt's in 90% of all applications, not to mention its what hyundai is recommending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back