Pure naptha in the gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that alot of the fuel system cleaners contain Naptha...and a large percentage of it. I can get several gallons of the stuff free every month. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to put some in my gas tank every now and then? How much? Maybe a really small amount at every fill up?
smile.gif

This off topic but you reminded me of when I ran out of gas many years ago. The only the around was a 7/11 store. the kind that is NOT a gas station.

I went in and bought the campers gas sometimes called white gas,. It's Naptha.

I put the whole gallon in and drove several miles to a gas station and filled it up with regular gas. The car ran on the Naptha.

That was an old Opel with the 1.9 liter four cyl,.

I would not do that again but I was a young kid at the time not knowing any better.

[ January 31, 2004, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:

I went in and bought the campers gas sometimes called white gas,. It's Naptha.

I put the whole gallon in and drove several miles to a gas station and filled it up with regular gas. The car ran on the Naptha.

That was an old Opel with the 1.9 liter four cyl,.

I would not do that again but I was a young kid at the time not knowing any better.

Camp stove fuel is real low octane. Low 70s and lower.

Did it ping a bit?

Whn I was in high school a friend had a 1951 Chevy 6. He used to cut his gas abou7t 25% with stoddard solvent or white gas because he could get it for free.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

I thought it was more like 50.
dunno.gif
pat.gif

So does anybody think it would be a good idea to use some naptha in my gas tank?

It was sometime in the 60s that I was driving my Volkswagen Beetle across Wyoming toward Rock Springs during the night. I became concerned when my gasoline level guage pegged empty while I was still nearly 30 miles from the town. No place along the road was open at night. I ran completely out of gas and the VW came to a stop. I took my gallon of camp stove fuel and poured it into the gas tank and drove on into Rock Springs. I arrived at a station there before it opened. I remained beside the pump till the placed opened up for the day. I didn't notice any difference in the performance of the engine while running on that camp stove fuel. However, I drove it very lightly because I figured I could burn all it up before being able to refuel.

quote:

Originally posted by hannaco:
Not a good idea. Just because something is free, does not mean you should use it.

Have any particular reasons? Like I said, nearly all fuel systemn cleaners contain naptha...and naptha comes from the same thing as gasoline, so I wouldn't think it could hurt much of anything in small doses.

When I was in high school, I ran out of gas.(bad gauge) Someone gave me some gas, but it was two-cycle. Didn't run very well.
spaz.gif

-T

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

I thought it was more like 50.
dunno.gif
pat.gif

I've seen numbers from about 50 to low 70s for camp stove fuel. Looks like it varies quite a bit.

"..nearly all fuel system cleaners contain naptha." AmOz, are you certain of this? I tried to confirm this through the link below. You might look into an MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil, which MAY have a high content of naptha. If so, you can simply (and safely) mimic the instructions on their bottle in regards to quantity and frequency.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.go...ree?prodcat=Auto+products&purpose=Fuel+System

[ February 02, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Not only is it a good idea, but it is the only way to save on outrageously overpriced additives.
White kerosene at $1.60 per is also a good one to use with it as it increases the octane while it cleans.

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
"..nearly all fuel system cleaners contain naptha." AmOz, are you certain of this? I tried to confirm this through the link below. You might look into an MSDS for Marvel Mystery Oil, which MAY have a high content of naptha. If so, you can simply (and safely) mimic the instructions on their bottle in regards to quantity and frequency.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.go...ree?prodcat=Auto+products&purpose=Fuel+System

I'm pretty sure MMO has naptha in it, I know Seafoam has alot of it, one of the chevron fuel cleaners has it, and I know there are alot of others that I can't think of right now. The main thing I'm asking is it worth the trouble? Will the naptha alone do much? Also, would it be bad to put a small amount in at every fill up, kinda like the techron in chevron gas?

Naptha is essentially a white gasoline of very low octane.

Gasoline is Naphtha with extra octane boosters.

The reason you see Naphtha in many products is because it is one of the better solvents for hydrocarbons.

Noobie question..

I do run Naptha before also as stated cause I thought a lot of the fuel injector cleaners and such have a high base on it.

but if it's said to be a lower octane of 50 - 70.. what does that mean?

I thought the lower the octane it means the hotter and faster it burns but is less controlable / stable then higher octane car..

And I thought Naptha was in a sense an octane booster then a reducer.. humm..

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Naptha is essentially a white gasoline of very low octane.

Gasoline is Naphtha with extra octane boosters.

The reason you see Naphtha in many products is because it is one of the better solvents for hydrocarbons.

So if I use some kind of injector cleaner that have Naptha, I will actually lower the octane!

Guys Naptha is just the carrier for the real cleaning ingredients! It is just like a prescription pill. The medicine is is 250 miligrams but the pill weights 1 gram? IT has a lot of filler to make it easy to handle and to make you think you are getting more medicine. Imagine you had to handle a 10mg. pill? It would be like trying to get one BB out a carton of BB's!

Imagine how well a 3 once product of all active ingredients would sell for $5-$10? Imagine trying to get that tiny bottle to empty all of it's contents into the gas fill tube. If I want to add fuel additive to a vechile that has already been filled up I put my fuel aditive in then have to chase it down with something like 10 onces of Kerosine or Naptha to make sure it makes it down to the fuel!

About 20 years ago, I had an opportunity to buy, at a lawn sale, about 20 gallons of Coleman fuel (naphtha) in sealed containers for about a dime a gallon. They just wanted to get rid of it. (An avid camper in the family moved away, leaving it behind.) Coleman fuel is just low octane naphtha.

So I initially poured about one gallon into my car gas tank with every 18 gallon tankful. When I went up to two gallons, the car started pinging on hard acceleration, so I backed off to the one gallon level, until finally I used it all up.

This was a low compression, no catalyst car, and it apparently did it no harm.

Naphtha is a generic term, kinda like hydrocarbon, but naphtha means that the boiling point range falls with that of gasoline.

Coleman fuel is paraffinic and falls in the mid-range of naphtha. It's very low octane paraffin. That's why it burns cleanly without any black soot.

There are many naphthas.. straight run, hydrocracked, coker, cat, aromatic, steam cracked, and other special blends (like VM&P, varnish makers and painters). If you're selling a gasoline additive, and you want a solvent to disolve it, or to make your expensive additive fill a bigger bottle, you'd use a naphtha. Which one depends on what you're trying to dissolve.

The thing to remember, is that the naphtha is not the active ingredient...or if it is, you've been ripped off.

The naptha we make has a typical octane rating of 66.

...and the guy who suggested 'cleaning out' the engine with white kero is surely joking - some of the components of 'kerosine' have octanes in the MINUS 20 range!!

A good cleaning will lower the engine's octane requirement, but kero won't do it. If it's on the label of a cleaner bottle it is only there as a solvent.
doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back