A parts washer solvent......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an old parts washer that has some OLD Drydene greenish solvent in it. The 5 gallon jug that came with it says it is "Parts Degreaser Mineral Spirits." Is this the same as the mineral spirits I would buy at the hardware store? I've also heard kerosene works well and is less volatile. Could I add that in as well?

If you can find some, I would use biodiesel in your parts washer. Much friendlier for the environment or your skin and very tough on grease.

A buddy of mine uses it in his parts washer and swears by it.

Originally Posted By: ethangsmith
Like turpentine? Will that work like mineral spirits or kerosene?
No, more like Orange Kleen made from orange and grapefruit rinds. This stuff can chew up skin all the while smelling nice.

Gotcha. Looks like I'll have a little delay in using the washer. The pump literally split in half. Gotta hunt down and install a new pump.

Mineral spirits and kerosene both have the same flash points and about the same evaporation rates. Some solvent cleaners will have a dye added for color, appearance only, no help in cleaning. Mineral spirits is a better choice, slightly less odor and cleaner than kerosene.

My absolute favorite parts cleaning solution is Coleman stove fuel. It is basically naptha. It's still pretty cheap, especially if you can find it in a generic brand. I wear nitrile gloves now when doing car work, but when I used this stuff for cleaning parts in the 80's (no gloves) it was the gentlest on my skin.

We use Simple Green.
It comes in 55 gallon drums and seems to definitely be more concentrated than what you buy at Lowes or HD in gallons.

It will melt thermoplastic (road stripes) paint, oils, greases, tar...
Only thing is, you cannot put your hands in it for too long as it will burn your skin.
Especially around where the Nitrile gloves sit on your wrist.
You need the longer ones that go up your arm.
Pretty amazing in whatever "strength" it is and what it does to different types of "rubber gloves"
Safe for all "types" of parts washers, and no fire risk.

And it's supposedly eco-friendly.

Just to clarify, I am talking about a parts washer like this that I use with the simple green from a drum.
Northern Tool - parts washer

Not one of the automatic ones that you just put a part in and it comes out clean, like I have seen in a transmission shop .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back