amsoil ame 15w40 in a vw pd engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes i know it does not comply with vw 505.01 requirements, but there are numerous pd engines over at the tdiclub eating their cams on 5w30 vw approved 505.01 oils

my rationale is this, the oil has a very high Zn and P concentration, cold start up here in the BC Metro is not a problem because of the mild climate, and the extra viscosity should protect my cam and lifters

comments please

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

Why do you think this oil is necessary? "Extra viscosity"?

Stick with a 505.01 oil. There are TONS of good choices.

My '04 BEW has 259kmiles on the original cam. I had my mechanic look at the cam, with me; he's a trusted TDi guru. Cam was fine at 200kmiles. 505.01, 506 and 507 oils have been used in this motor, with 12k OCI's on average (10k initially, then 12k, and now sometimes I'll forget and go as long as 14k). I'm actually not sure what is in at the moment... whatever it is that idparts stocks. I see no reason to change.

Extra viscosity can mean slower oil flow to the cam under cold start. Dunno if it matters or not, that's just what I've read. As you've stated, some PD's have eaten their cams with 505.01, some haven't. It appears to be luck of the draw.

I would not use a 505.01 oil. Too many of them are 5w30 which is badness for your cam & lifters. Most 5w40 CJ-4 oils are showing far longer cam/lifter life and better UOAs than any certified lubricant.

If you want to use Amsoil, use DEO. I have been running Schaeffer 9000 5w40 in mine with excellent results but will shortly be switching to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. Considering you're in BC I would also look into Petro Canada Duron-E 5w40.

Don't get caught up in the 505.01 nonsense. Yes, the 40wt versions of it are fine, but for Pete's sake stay away from the 30wt versions! OP, you don't need a 15w40, stick with a 5w40 of any of the myriad appropriate brands and varieties.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I use Amsoil European Formula 5w-40 in my son's 02 diesel bug.

The 2003 and earlier TDI engines (ALH) are not nearly as picky on oils as the 2004 - 2006 TDI PD engines (BEW, BRM, BHW). Amsoil Euro (AFL) is fine in those engines, but I would never run it in a PD. I still think DEO is a better option for any non-commonrail TDI, as are Shell Rotella T6, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Schaeffer 9000, Petro Canada Duron-E or any of the other fine CJ-4 5w40 HDEOs.

There are plenty of ALHs on the road that got nothing by gasser Syntec 5w30 at the stealership for their first 50k miles and are still happily motoring along.

I think 15w40 AME in theory could be a good choice in a VW PD TDI engine, in a climate with moderate to warm winters. IIRC, this is more comparable to a CI-4+ oil than a CJ-4 oil, with higher sulfated ash.

You just don't see the majors putting out 15w40 synthetic so AME is a bit of an anomoly, but I think it would work great in your PD.

However, I would check to see if there's any UOAs out there on AME in a PD.

Originally Posted By: supton
My '04 BEW has 259kmiles on the original cam. I had my mechanic look at the cam, with me; he's a trusted TDi guru. Cam was fine at 200kmiles. 505.01, 506 and 507 oils have been used in this motor, with 12k OCI's on average (10k initially, then 12k, and now sometimes I'll forget and go as long as 14k). I'm actually not sure what is in at the moment... whatever it is that idparts stocks. I see no reason to change.

Extra viscosity can mean slower oil flow to the cam under cold start. Dunno if it matters or not, that's just what I've read. As you've stated, some PD's have eaten their cams with 505.01, some haven't. It appears to be luck of the draw.

Agreed.
5w40 505.01 on the 1.9 8 valve TDi and 5w30 507.00 on the 2.0 16 valve TDi with nothing to write home about for years
smile.gif

well the oil is in the engine, I will provide a uoa in January

my first impressions are that the oil has quieted down the engine significantly, and it drives much smoother

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
well the oil is in the engine, I will provide a uoa in January

my first impressions are that the oil has quieted down the engine significantly, and it drives much smoother

Amsoil AME 15W-40?

The only time it makes sense to use a 15/40 rather than a 5/40 is if you have a very effective engine pre heater or you live in a hot desert. Most cam wear occurs on initial cold start and by cold I mean anything less than normal operating temperature.
5/40 seems to give better UOA results than 5/30 for engines than have cam wear issues, but it also helps tp pick an oil with plenty of zinc additive.
I would also look at the UOA results to figure out if the oil change interval is OK, as the TBN should be kept to a higher than normal minimum figure if you are concerned about wear factors, so the Blackstones minimum of 1, should be raised to a minimum of 3, so that the Zinc in particular keeps doing its job of reducing wear rates.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
and yes i know it does not comply with vw 505.01 requirements, but there are numerous pd engines over at the tdiclub eating their cams on 5w30 vw approved 505.01 oils

my rationale is this, the oil has a very high Zn and P concentration, cold start up here in the BC Metro is not a problem because of the mild climate, and the extra viscosity should protect my cam and lifters

comments please

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

I'm with you on this one. When I bought my 2006 jetta TDI I researched the results of 505.01 and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't use it if someone gave it to me.
I run Rotella 5w-40 CI-4 plus but when my stash runs out I'm going to Amsoil AME 15w-40

One of the worst things you can do is use 15/40 truck oil in a diesel car. Any approved fully synthetic 5/40 oil that has lots of zinc addites is the solution, although driver style does matter. When you start a TDI never touch the accelerator for at least 30 seconds and then keep the revs as low as practical until the engine is fully warmed up. If you like racing starts then fit an engine pre heater.
It might even be worth looking at using a zinc additive if you can't find a good 5/40 oil and as I am curious to know what the experts at Liqui Moly say. It would be good to know the exact type of VW car and engine you are concerned about to see what is available.

Originally Posted By: skyship
One of the worst things you can do is use 15/40 truck oil in a diesel car.

Disagree. A) There are a lot worse things you can do to an engine than running a good HDEO in a diesel engine. B) Synthetic 15W-40's have sufficient cold flow properties in all but the most extreme cold conditions.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: skyship
One of the worst things you can do is use 15/40 truck oil in a diesel car.

Disagree. A) There are a lot worse things you can do to an engine than running a good HDEO in a diesel engine. B) Synthetic 15W-40's have sufficient cold flow properties in all but the most extreme cold conditions.

WOW! So using a thicker winter rating oil like a 15W rather than a 5 or even a 0 (If approved) is better for the wear metals figures?
15/40 does last slightly longer, but the main advantage it has is that it is cheaper and with engine oil you get what you pay for. Don't be fooled by the range of acceptable oils in a cars handbook as initial cold start wear is responsible for most of the wear suffered by most engines.

The only exception to that cold viscosity rule is that the 5/40 should contain as much zinc as the 15/40 if you want to use it in a VW TDI and some of them don't, but if you compare like with like, the cold viscosity rating is one of the most vital performance figures of any engine oil.

Just looking at some wear rate figures from the Liqui Moly site and comparing 2 dinosaur oils:
Touring high tech 15/40:
Wear reduction 4.6 Speed of penetration 4 Strength 7
Top Tec 5/40:
Wear reduction 7.2 Speed of penetration 6.5 Strength 7.3
That is on an 8 point scale and the higher the figure the better the result in cold start terms.

Not unusual for PD engined vehicles in UK to hit 300k when worked, upwards of 50k per year.

I don't know anybody that would use anything other than the VAG approved oils.

I do wonder why some people think that whenever an engine fails it indicates an error in the manufacturers specifications.

I have always wondered if the people suffering failures are those that buy the oils only based on price?

Perhaps oil manufacturer should be considered rather than an oil being just good enough to.meet the specs.

There will always be products that meet specs but are also just plain better.

Just thinking out loud.

Interested to see if better results can be had though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back