245 75 16" E rated tires tire pressure question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a set of Goodyear Wranglers deep tread for my 2003 Ford 4x4 Ranger. They are rated to take 80lb of tire pressure. Needed a HD 10 ply due to frequent travel on mine tailing roads here. What kind of pressure should I run for everyday unloaded travel? Currently have 60 lbs but never have run 10 plys "E" rated on a small light truck before..thanks.

Anywhere from 45 to 55 psi. If needs be, adjust till you get the ride you prefer, but don't go below 45.

Amateurs - Sheesh!!

The right way to do this is to calculate the load carrying capacity of the original tire size and pressure (what is written on the vehicle placard), then match that with new tire size.

According to Tire Guides, a 2003 Ford Range 4X4 came with a variety of tires, so it is difficult to answer the question without knowing what the vehicle tire placard says.

But if I make a worst case, one of the listings is P245/75R16 at 35 psi, then (and I'm making an assumption here) an LT245/75R16 needs to use 50 psi.

So did I get the original tire size correct? Did I get the new tire size correct?

2002's came with p245/75r16 @30psi
2005 came with p255/70r16 @30psi

Last edited:
I run 50 in the fronts, 80 PSI in the (loaded) rears on my LT245/75R16Es-in your case I would run 50 all the way around-and on a light Ranger, 50 will still be enough to make it bouncy.

OMG, that could be one rough ride.

Check the sidewall info, I think ONE of those tires is good enough for all that truck!

I'm sure you'll be on the near side of 50 psi without a doubt. Way too much tire without more weight.

I ran some Dean E rated 265/75R16 on my 2002 ranger 4x4

I ran them 36 front 33 back unloaded.

I'd pump the rear up to about 36-42 if I put any weight in.

not scientific but anything more than 45 and you were chipping teeth and floating all over the road unloaded.

I also had mine for offroading. Wouldnt recommend even load range C on a ranger unless its for offroading purposes.
(LT tires start out much deeper tread also)

Yes,,the original tires were 245 75 16"....and I believe 35 lbs.... I lowered them to 50 lbs and will try that...the ride really isnt that bad at 60 lbs...I dont ever load or tow with it but its the roads here (mine tailings) out in the sticks that cause tire problems...thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back