Audi A6 2.7T, Cam Adjuster Seals leaking, What are the chances that Auto Rx....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audi A6 2.7T, Cam Adjuster Seals leaking, What are the chances that Auto Rx....will help.

I have read the information on the website and was curious if anyone has had success with sealing cam adjuster seals or valve cover seals?

TIA

It has 75K miles and the seals are leaking. They leak more after a long drive, 4-5 hours. There are several quarter size drops under my car the next morning but it doesn't seem to be using any on the dipstick.

I switched to a full synthetic oil a few weeks ago and that is when it all started . I am since back to Dino.

Any ideas?

Are you referring to the valve cover gaskets?

I wouldn't think that front and rear engine seals would be leaking at this mileage.

No, the Cam Adjuster Seals regularly leak on this model per many post on AudiWorld.com. Teh valve cover gaskets may be leaking a bit but mainly the cam adjuster seal(2).

The labor is about $700-800 dollars (from dealer, indie shop is cheaper) to replace all four seals. Parts are extra. It's the same labor they'd go through to replace the water pump and timing belt, so if you do decide to get it done, have em do the timing belt, water pump, and serpentine while it's all open already. It'll only be a little more in parts, but very little in labor. Plus, you're coming up on the milage to do the timing belt.

Also may be a good time to get the bypass valves replaced if those are wearing. Worn valves will cause increased turbo lag and pressure leaks, which may make your car feel slower on the pickup. The Bosch "710N" are a good oem replacement, while Forge makes a nice metal replacement.

Auto-Rx will clean out your previous oil (before going back to dino ) as well as clean the engine,and recondition seal material.Will it stop these type leaks? I don't know however Auto-Rx seems to be a reasonable alternative. Before spending $$$$

What the heck is a cam adjuster and where is it physically located on thiis engine?
confused.gif

Tooslick

It is located on the front right side and the back left. I am not real sure what it does other than leak a lot. It seems that most of these seals leak at some point in the Audi A6 Engine.

FYI: About the Diverter Valves, this is a list of my current mods:

2000 A6 2.7T 6 Speed, MTM Software, Hyperboost Diverter Valves, Valentine 1, ToyGuy SS, Debadged, Samco F Hose, Mobil One Synthetic, MAF Sensor Screen Deleted, Osram H7 Silver Star Bulbs, and Many more mods to come.

Phil, I am ignorant of this design but have to ask? Are these semi-cicular rubber seals that go between valve cover and head? Toyota has used a seal like this for years and they two often leak. If this is the case you simply add RTV to the sealing surfaces and reinstall. You let it partialy cure before torqueing anything down so it does not squess out. The new import gray RTV for high torgue applications is good stuff!

If this is on the other hand internal to the engine and related to containing oil pressure for a varriable valve timeing system then all bets are off! I would try Auro-Rx. It has a good track record and might solve this issue. IF it does not work and you use it according to Franks instructions he does offer a money back offer! I think it is better then the alternative.

P.S. If you plan on keeping it you might think about seting aside some tax return money to get the work recomended above perfomed! IF Auto-Rx does solve you it you can consider tradeing it in or saveing up for the work!

Camshaft Seal

Thats the seal that often leaks.

$892.50 in labor and $199.68 in parts.

2 058-198-217 gasketset 33.84
2 078-198-025 gasketset 107.16
4 068-103-085-E ruboilseal 36.36
1 078-103-113-E cover 12.42
2 00828 brake cleaner 9.90

Thats how much it was when the previous owner got it done at the dealer on my dad's 1998 A6 2.8 30v. I hope it doesn't happen again.

quote:

What the heck is a cam adjuster and where is it physically located on thiis engine? [Confused]

Too Slick, they are talking about the hydraulic camshaft chain tensioner. One chain tensioner is between each set of cams towards the rear of the motor. There's a seal nearby that likes to leak. Oh, and the chain tensioner itself likes to go bad, too, If the chain breaks, bye-bye my love!
rolleyes.gif
Thank Audi, my 2.8 12 valve doesn't have such a fancy part.
cool.gif

[ January 18, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
[QB]
What the heck is a cam adjuster and where is it physically located on thiis engine? [Confused]

Too Slick, they are talking about the hydraulic camshaft chain tensioner. One chain tensioner is between each set of cams towards the rear of the motor. There's a seal nearby that likes to leak. Oh, and the chain tensioner itself likes to go bad, too, If the chain breaks, bye-bye my love! *-*-*-

Good gosh, that is one expensive 5-10.00 part!

The better question is what can be done to prevent this later on should he fix and keep the car... or should he consider selling it...

Okay, I took a look at my repair manual. It seems there is a gadget called a camshaft adjuster, and it is NOT the same as the camshaft tensioner! There is half-round rubber plug under the adjuster. Looks like the camshafts, tenisoner, adjuster, the whole cam assembly! has to come out to get to that plug. Might as well replace the tensioner and timing belt, etc at the same time. Jeez!
shocked.gif

Should I try Auto Rx or is it unlikely to help the leak. It was much worse with full synthetic and I have switched back to Dino now.

Bottom Line: IT is still leaking oil on my nice white driveway! Not fun!

Any more advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back