tires for 2013 subaru outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my Dad just got a 2013 outback and doesnt like the boaty-floaty tires that came on it. They have 650miles now and not getting better.

Apparantly the oem conti's wonder bad and have really flimsy sidewalls that are driving him nuts.

He drives highway everyday.. with some minor grass offroading to the family cabin on weekends.

What would you recommend.. it needs to be H rated or higher and
225/60R17 (alternative size 235/60R17)

no other sizes will be considered.

Right now considering yokohama geolander AT-S.

his former vehicle was a 2005 ranger 4x4 w/toyo AT's load range C

Last edited:
go here:
http://www.tirerack.com/

then chose tires and then read all the reviews for the size you need. you will be able to filter you search to all those who have a Subaru and then you can get their reviews of what tires worked best.

Worked for my MIL's Sonata. Got a great set of Michelin's for her car that totally transformed it into something comfy and quiet!

Tires will help the situation to a degree. However the raised suspension IMHO compared to my 2005 Legacy turbo wagon is floaty when I have gotten this new generation of Outbacks as loaners.

well if it makes any difference he doesnt mind my forester with the geolander g95's

outback stock tire

co_contiprocontact_ci1_l.jpg

in almost all other sizes its h or v rated... only T rated in stock size.

its obviously one of those OEM ONLY special tires

1 size off its H rated and AA/A

Last edited:
Holy moly! Look at all the sipes in that tread pattern. It much be made for an underwater research vehicle. I've never seen a brand of tire with that ridiculous pattern...doesn't appear to be an OEM Conti, but...

not to spam my own thread but they are oem contis

linky to tire rack

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiProContact

he has the oem size 225/60r17 one of the few t-rated sizes.

so after seeing those tires you can understand why they arent popular.

I'll craigslist them for 1/2 to 2/3 the price new and someone will get a deal on them that doesnt care anymore about tires than that they are round black and lots of tread.

Last edited:
Before he ditches them, try upping the air pressure in the tires a little bit. That may help them have a stiffer sidewall feel and help with the wandering. It's worth a shot...

Originally Posted By: crosseyedwx
Before he ditches them, try upping the air pressure in the tires a little bit. That may help them have a stiffer sidewall feel and help with the wandering. It's worth a shot...

Doubtful that'll work. I've tried everything with the Continentals on my '11 Outback.Higher pressure,lower pressure,alignment,etc.

Wander is an understatement,this thing is all over the road.

hes already running 38psi in them.

we both thought it felt like 28-30 so I checked and I was amazed with the fronts came back 38 rears 37.5

I did try a drive with 33.. wow bad idea.

I guess I could put them upto about 44 and see.

If the car is wandering, why not get a free alignment under warranty, before buying new tires?

Originally Posted By: Rand
So, my Dad just got a 2013 outback and doesnt like the boaty-floaty tires that came on it. They have 650miles now and not getting better.

Apparantly the oem conti's wonder bad and have really flimsy sidewalls that are driving him nuts.

He drives highway everyday.. with some minor grass offroading to the family cabin on weekends.

What would you recommend.. it needs to be H rated or higher and
225/60R17 (alternative size 235/60R17)

no other sizes will be considered.

Right now considering yokohama geolander AT-S.

his former vehicle was a 2005 ranger 4x4 w/toyo AT's load range C

How about GY ComfortTred Touring? The $80 rebate is good till the end of August. It comes in 225/60/17, H-speed rated, 80K treadlife warranty, revs only 1 off from OE Contis.

I've not driven on the newer Touring version but the older CT is an excellent tire overall. The Touring version gets very good reviews at TR, for what that's worth.

BTW, I have heard that Subaru's AWD system is very sensitive to changes in tire size/diameter. I would not upsize the width without lowering the ratio. One of the Subie fans on here can expound, maybe.

P.S. Also I agree it can't hurt to get an alignment---the dealer will do that for free on a brand-new sale if he has any sense.

avoid the at/s. i just ditched a decent set of geolanders on my tundra, pretty sure it was at/s (?) due to too much wandering at 35 or above.

Had a friend who bought a full set for his truck, and took them back and exchanged them for michelins... wandering.

Unless your pop is trying to negotiate some sort of specific crazy terrain, I would think any decent all-season tire would do. On my 97 subie, bridgestone turanzas, similar family as the HL400, were terrific and outlasted the vehicle... at 60,000 miles they had over 1/2 their tread....

unfortunately, the newer OB's don't have some of the mild all-terrain options that the older ones that ran 70 series tires could have--- you are limited to highway or performance tires. The 225 tires are pretty limited.

if you go with the 235, you get a few interesting options. there is a BFG long trail TA tour that would be worth a look. firestone destination LE is also had in a 235. This tire is very popular and very affordable-- depending on what they're put on they can make some noise. those are both sort of mild all-terrains, which would be nice if that grass is ever wet and on a hillside. There is a new LE2, much quieter, but I don't see it in your size.

I'm not partial to GY, but their fortera triple tread looks interesting. Unfortunately, I've had too many disappointments with GY to ever try them again.

good luck!

Last edited:
I don't know if you've checked there yet, but there is a pretty active community at subaruoutback.org. I know some people have canned the Continentals early in their life, so they could be some help.

The ride is soft on my 2012, but as long as my wife isn't complaining, the tires will stay. We'll see how they do once cold weather hits. Some folks on there have said they really limit the Outback's capabilities. Others have said they get up their snow laden driveway with ease, so who knows.

Originally Posted By: faramir9

BTW, I have heard that Subaru's AWD system is very sensitive to changes in tire size/diameter. I would not upsize the width without lowering the ratio. One of the Subie fans on here can expound, maybe.

A Subaru could care less what tires/diameters are put on four wheels. However it is very(beyond) important that the four tires installed are with 1/4" rolling circumference of each other. Basically rolling circumference means you run a tape around the centerline of tire and measure how much touches the road.

Why not go Michelin Primacy MXM4? Amongst the best out there and will be fine going over grass, IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not go Michelin Primacy MXM4? Amongst the best out there and will be fine going over grass, IMO.

Because it's not available in that size

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Basically I'm not pushing tires on him. He knows I'm picky about tires and wanted to ditch them all on his own (lol). Its not time sensitive.

It will probably wait till mid/end of september when everyone does their pre-winter sales.

There are limited tires available.. Believe me I have a few goto tires I would buy/highly recommend.. and exactly 0 are available in that size.

some are available in the 225/55r17 but thats too small.

235/55r17 is an odd size so that doesnt help even if its fairly close to the stock size.

235/60R17 has 1 additional tire the cooper AT3

not sure if hes going to opt for an AT tire, or a more carlike tire. 95% of the time hes on highway 5% is gravel/chip or grass.

Good snow/ice traction is a plus he wont be buying snowtires.

The goodyears may be an option but he doesnt like goodyear much.

Finally, I'm not really keen on nokian all year winter tires.

I do love their snow tires. They also seem to cost about 30% more and are hard to get here. No one local sells them and DTD/TR dont sell them (at least in my size)

so that kinda kills that.

Nondirectional is a plus, as is higher than H speed rating.. H-minimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

not available. nor the mxv4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back