Amsoil - Worth it?

Here we go again.

36.gif

You have to look at the big picture in regard to synthetic oils. ANY synthetic oil, whether off the store shelf(Pennzoil, Mobil 1) or sold through a distributor(Amsoil, Redline)will provide MORE than adequate protection and performance for any engine. Use Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc... with complete confidence.

As a matter of fact, I just finished changing my oil tonight with Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE and a Pure-One filter. I know this oil will protect as well as Amsoil, within a reasonable interval. It is all a personal choice.

In my opinion its an excellent oil. You have to decide if its worth the price and shipping. I get synthetics on sale for much less. I do use the amsoil motorcycle oil in my gz and since i only change it each season, its worth it.

It is expensive but holds up well so you can extend it more than regualar oil imo. Regular oil is much cheaper but you have to deal with the hassle of changing it more often.

Like others have said, it really depends on your specific wants / needs. If you're gonna extend your OCI then it works out to being worth the price. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the regimen you plan to use it with. Cost of Amsoil vs dino for example, length of use for each, benefits of each, goals etc.

So really it's not so much a yes or no answer. I use it because I want my engine to last forever, it's my first new vehicle and I want to maintain it in what I believe to be a very effective way. Also It means I spend less time under my vehicle and more time enjoying it (and not worrying)

Originally Posted By: Spooner65
Everyone knows of Amsoil, my question is; Is it hype, or the real deal.

Amsoil is the real deal.

Which HDEO do you have in mind?

Depends on what product. They make a lot. I'm liking their synchromesh in my manual transmission.

Others do offer a better value, such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF in certain applications. That fluid is easier to get, and quite a bit cheaper. Even if it needs to be changed a little sooner, it's priced low enough where it makes up for the extra change one does with it.

Last edited:

What vehicle(s) are you thinking of putting it in?

synthetic_crazy said:
You have to look at the big picture in regard to synthetic oils. ANY synthetic oil, whether off the store shelf(Pennzoil, Mobil 1) or sold through a distributor(Amsoil, Redline)will provide MORE than adequate protection and performance for any engine. Use Amsoil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc... with complete confidence.

This is good advise....especially the last sentence...."ANY synthetic oil, weather off the shelf(Pennzoil or Mobil 1), or sold through a distributor (Amsoil/RedLine)...will provide MORE than adequate protection and performance for any engine".

Be sure you use the proper weight (i.e. 5w20, 5w30) based on what the vehicle manufacture recommends (check your manual)....and a reasonable OCI (based on you driving habits). Also use a good mid-tier filter (such as a Purolator PureOne).

IMO....Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum are both excellent shelf oils to consider.

You you're thinking about AMSOIL you might want to see if you can find Schaeffers. I use AMSOIL in my gas enigne and Scharffers in my diesel. They are both great and worth the cost IF you take advantage of the extented oil change interval. Not sure if you've seen it on the site yet but blackstone labs is where a lot of people get their oil tested. As others have said I enjoy not spending time under my car or truck. AMSOIL does make some great gear lubes, the only reason I made the switch to Schaeffers is I can go to Napa and get it.

I should clarify. I already run Shell Rotella T6 with extended oil change intervals as supported by UOAs from Blackstone Labs. I am more interested in if Amsoil (or Schaffers) is worth the extra money and effort to obtain over the T6.

I should clarify. I already run Shell Rotella T6 with extended oil change intervals as supported by UOAs from Blackstone Labs. I am more interested in if Amsoil (or Schaffers) is worth the extra money and effort to obtain over the T6.

I applaud your approach to the use of synthetics.
thumbsup2.gif
So often, I see people use syns for all the wrong reasons. Extended OCIs are a very valid use of the products where one can actually expect (or at least hope) to get the ROI.

That being said, none of us can really give you a "yes or no" answer to the question, because no one can predict the answer nearly as well as you can experiment and truly find the answer. Do NOT believe any pundit that will tell you otherwise based upon hype and rhetoric.
31.gif

You already have the tools in place to make this determination. Run several UOAs and see what they tell you about your current conditions, and how the lube and equipment are holding up. Then, swap to a different lube and do the same. Run at least 5 UOAs (perhaps 10k miles each) of each fluid to see how it compares and contrasts to the others. The downside to this approach is that it's expensive, and it will take many, many thousands of miles to determine which is truly "better".

I can say with complete confidence that I've seen excellent performance from these products. Amsoil, Shaeffers and T6 are all very capable fluids. But, depending upon individual application of fluid and equipment, there may or may not be a clear "winner" above the others.

The real question is whether, in your specific situation, is a premium lube worth the additional cost, relative to the performance it can provide? Let me assure you that NO ONE HERE can say with certainty; only you can determine that with experimentation.

I would ask, if you do choose to try Amsoil or Schaeffers, that you consider one of our sponsors here; support those who support us!

READ MY SIGNATURE LINE! That should be your guide to making a confident, calculated decision.

Last edited:

What engine is this discussion about?

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Others do offer a better value, such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF in certain applications. That fluid is easier to get, and quite a bit cheaper. Even if it needs to be changed a little sooner, it's priced low enough where it makes up for the extra change one does with it.

I agree IMO engines last longer with shorter OCI's they'll stay cleaner too which is why I don't push oil to its limit. Amsoil makes some good products, but I'd rather change my oil sooner than later. Also when shopping for a used car I'd rather buy a car from a guy who changed his oil more frequently than from someone who extended his intervals out to the limit Amsoil suggests for their top tier products. If you're considering using their oil use the less expensive OE or XL and change as per your OM. In the long run I think you'll be doing yourself and your engine a favor. Finally extended OCI's are not for everyone, make sure your oil is handling the longer intervals via UOA. Even then there is no guarantee things are staying clean. My 2 cents.

Never used it, never will. Two cocky dealers is all it took when checking out product pricing years ago. Basically wouldn't sell unless I bought into the pricing scheme.

I have used their products since 1983.

Oil isnt about ROI, that is like saying what is the ROI of Sam Adams vs Budweiser?

In the big scheme of things,engine oil, trans fluid, gear oil etc are a small % of operating costs and initial cost of the car.

IMHO everything they sell is top notch, and it is a no brainer to run the gear oils ( much cheaper than store souced gear oil, 75w-140 at AAP for Mobil 1 is like 25$ per qt vs 16.50 for Amsoil) trans fluids etc if they meet your spec. I use their trans fluid, MTF, PS Fluid, gear oil and filters.

Engine oil, depends on what you want to do. I use it 0w-30 in winter on my cars because I dont feel like crawling under the car to do a Feb oil change, rather wait until April. But I run some less expensive Synth (ultra, PP, QS, castrol most got really good deals and have huge stash) I have in my stash for spring and mid summer changes. Note I have a long commute so I do about 3 three changes per year on my primary cars and one a year change on my other cars, use the cheaper synthetics in them.

Of course if you also want , their XL and OE oil are competitively priced vs the QS, Mobil1, PP Ultra etc.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I have used their products since 1983.

Oil isnt about ROI, that is like saying what is the ROI of Sam Adams vs Budweiser?

Spoken like a true syn junkie ...

Nearly everything can be about ROI.

Want to use a beer example? Fine by me:
Would you dump out the Sam Adams, or Bud, or Lite, or anything else before it was fully consumed? Would you throw away a bottle of Michelob or Amstel after only drinking 1/2 the volume?

Or, perhaps we should talk tires? Do you get rid of your tires when they are only 1/3 way down to the safe mark, just because you fear some undefined end?

There are fair, pratical expectations for any product. ROI (return on investment) is a method of judging the value you get out of product, relative to the expense of purchase and use.

So ...

Why dump oil before it's lifecycle is complete? The point MOST people here simply do not understand is that any lube, regardless of base stock and add-pack, can be over or under utilized. The key to getting a decent pay-back is using the product up to reasonable limits, without over-extending the product past it's capabilities.

The OP already said he's into syns and extended OCIs with UOAs; clearly he's thinking about this rationally. Why not use the tools he has to experiment, so as to make an accurate and logical decision? In no way am I trying to talk him out of using syns; he's got a reasonable approach to this. He's seeking out data to make informed decisions. All he's trying to determine, is if the Amsoil or Schaeffers is worth the added expense over the T6. NONE of us have the ability to say with total impunity whether that is true or not. But we can encourage him to experiment and find the ROIs and make his own decision.

Or, he could just spend $$$ willy-nilly like some folks, buying the "best" because the "best" is always "best" for everything in every situation, regardless of cost and payback.

Last edited:
Back