Wiper Blade Chatter Cure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wiper blades make an aweful chatter and skip as they go across the winsheild - is it the wiper blade (still new) or the windsheild ? What's the cure ? This problem seems to be associated with going through automatic car washes with various sealents , waxes , etc. being applied to the whole car .

It does sound like you have a film on the windshield. I fought this kind of thing for years. My windshield now stays completely clear (water sheets) and my wipers last for years.

Tips:

1) Don't go to automatic car washes where you can't know what's being used.
2) Don't use wash-and-wax products at home. Buy car wash soap that doesn't contain a wax product.
3) If you dry with towels, make sure that NO fabric softener is used in the wash cycle and no anti-static dryer sheet is used in the dryer. These things add a layer of "grease" to fabric in my experience.
4) Don't wash the windshield or windows with paper towels; they have glues in them that seems to transfer to glass. Instead, use a microfiber glass cleaning cloth along with a good glass cleaner.

Its a combination of sticky rubber and a lot of pressure by the arms. Using the new blade designs like the Bosch icon helps. Other tricks include using Rain-x and Rain-x washer fluid. Clean the windshield real good before application. The last trick you need to be sure to use it only slightly. Use of a non-silicone tire shine to clean and lubricate the rubber. Just a tiny wipe across the rubber with a cloth. Leave the blades up overnight to let it absorb. Clean your windshield a couple of times after doing that.

Yeah, as others mentioned a clean windshield helps a lot. Rainx helps as well, but the windshield has to be cleaned very well before application so it's probably a little bit of both.

For me, being in Canada, I found that having two dedicated wiper sets, one for winter and one for summer, helps tremendously with extending the life of blades. I use regular, metal framed blades and I found that the cheapest ones found at Canadian Tire work best for summer. For winter I use those rubber sleeved ones and they work best on my car as well for winter.
All those fancy, one piece designs never worked right on my car and never lasted.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All those fancy, one piece designs never worked right on my car and never lasted.

Really? I gave the expensive Bosch icons a shot. Best wiper blades I've ever used. No streaks, quiet as a mouse. Held up 2 winters so far. Would imagine the winters up there are tougher on blades than here though.

Also not using fluid is bad for the windshield and the blades, like sandpaper depending on what your clearing. Using washer fluid every time you start the wipers will help blade life.

There is a simple free fix for this.
All you need to do is twist the wiper arm on the offending wiper slightly.
To do this put a little masking tape around the arn as not to scratch it and use a small adjustable wrench to very slightly twist the arm clockwise (looking at it from the outside facing the windshield).

This will put a bit more of the blades side on the glass.
Again only very slightly, not enough to visibly see a twist in it.

If the chatter is in only one direction, it's usually because the blade or arm has bent or taken a set so the blade is no longer perpendicular to the windshield.

To sweep smoothly the blade must be able to bend slightly away from the direction of travel. If it can't and bends in the direction of travel, chatter can result.

New blades or bending the wiper arm slightly should fix this problem.

When cleaning the windshield at the gas station clean the wiping surface of the blades and set them back on the glass straight down where there is no tension on the wiping edge. I also clean mine with rubbing alcohol once in while.

Chatter = rubber has take a set, or you have something nasty on the glass

Clean the glass THOROUGHLY. If it returns, replace the wipers.

(this is coming from someone whose father worked at Bosch's wiper division for 20+ years)

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Really? I gave the expensive Bosch icons a shot. Best wiper blades I've ever used. No streaks, quiet as a mouse. Held up 2 winters so far. Would imagine the winters up there are tougher on blades than here though.

I tried few brands, icons weren't one of them, so perhaps they would've worked fine. I admit that I never tried well reviewed brands like tricos or icons, but after trying few store bought sets that some were As much as $25 per side and being disappointed, while the ones that I have now are about $10-$15 per side and work to my satisfaction, I just don't want to waste money experimenting.

Quote:
Chatter = rubber has take a set, or you have something nasty on the glass

Not true. I had a brand new windshield and new icon wipers and they still chattered like crazy on the drivers side. A slight arm twist cured it instantly.

I would give the windshield a good cleaning and clean the wiper blades with a napkin and rubbing alcohol. The chatter is merely dirt or grime on the windshield or wiper. 303 is a company that also makes a wiper cleaner pads to help cure this but it's mostly ISP.

I always wash the windshield twice when I was the car. I wash it when washing the car then hit it with a specific glass cleaner and clean MF to ensure it is clean. I have never had any issues with chatter and only buy the cheapest wipers I can find.

Originally Posted By: Danh
If the chatter is in only one direction, it's usually because the blade or arm has bent or taken a set so the blade is no longer perpendicular to the windshield.

To sweep smoothly the blade must be able to bend slightly away from the direction of travel. If it can't and bends in the direction of travel, chatter can result.

New blades or bending the wiper arm slightly should fix this problem.

+1. I have seen this many times.

Try cleaning the glass with Bon-Ami powder. SCRUB with a soft sponge and rinse well. The water should sheet and not bead

Thanks for the replies - I cleaned the windsheild then used Rain-X on the windshield and wiper blades . Interesting to note that I clean the wiper blades regularly but when I used Rain-X applied on a cloth to clean the wiper blades - the cloth turned black . Not sure what the ingredients are in Rain - X but it sure deep cleaned the wiper blades ! Next rain storm we receive I'll see what happens ...

I've always heard bending the arm is usually the cure as well. As far as cleaning/keeping blades clean, I bought a bottle of Prestone Wiper Blade Restorer back in 2002 and still use it. I suppose it was just silicone or something but it came w/ a little grooved sponge you poured the fluid in then rubbed on the blades. Really extends wiper life in my experience. I usually only replace mine when they physically fall apart.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Much is vehicle dependent. The old F-150 doesn't care what wipers are on it - they all work well. I used the Motorcraft beam style winter and summer, and they were great. I've got some Icons on deck for it. The old Audi needed the old style; none of the beam blades worked worth a darn on it. The G isn't picky, either, it seems.

Don't apply Rain-x to windshield. It is known to induce chatter.

If that is not the case, go for teflon coated wiper blades.

I've done the whole gammit of going through a bunch of the different "premium" brand blades and you know what I'm using now? Ancos. Yep cheap ol' Ancos. I just replace them twice a year and I never have any wiper problems...it's been my experience that the expensive blades don't work any better, they just cost more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back