My Honda generator battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new Honda generator has a 1.1 volt trickle charge requirement. My battery charger is 1.2. Will this hurt the battery any by using the 1.2 instead of the 1.1 amp it requires? Supposedly it`s an 11 volt battery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
My new Honda generator has a 1.1 volt trickle charge requirement. My battery charger is 1.2. Will this hurt the battery any by using the 1.2 instead of the 1.1 amp it requires? Supposedly it`s an 11 volt battery.

You seem to be mixing volts and amps. Hopefully your 1.2 amp battery charger is a float charger or battery maintainer (same thing), not a trickle charger.

I doubt the battery is an 11V battery. That would be 5 cells.

You're mixing amps and volts, I assume you mean 1.2 amps. If that is the case - then 1.2 amps on your charger isn't going to make any difference.

And an 11 volt battery? Seriously?

If its not exposed get a BatteryMinder for a float charger, if its exposed, get a marine battery maintainer or float charger. Leave it connected for ever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're mixing amps and volts, I assume you mean 1.2 amps. If that is the case - then 1.2 amps on your charger isn't going to make any difference.

And an 11 volt battery? Seriously?

I`m not kidding, it say`s in the manual to trickle charge @ 10% of the battery`s volts. Which they claim is 11 volts.

After re reading it,it states charge the battery @ 1.1 amps. Supposedly it is a 12 volt battery, my mistake. My charger is just trickle not a floater. But it still doesnt make any sense as to charge at 1.1 amps since it`s a 12 volt battery. This whole thing is goofy to me.

Last edited:
It's an 11 amp hour battery so 1/10 of that is 1.1 amps continuous. Somewhere on its part number is probably the number 11. Probably the size of a smallish motorcycle/ ATV battery.

Once charged I would just stick the trickle charger on it for an hour a month. Does this generator have a charging circuit? Sounds like, from the instructions, it does not. You may want to test fire it monthly as well.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's an 11 amp hour battery so 1/10 of that is 1.1 amps continuous. Somewhere on its part number is probably the number 11. Probably the size of a smallish motorcycle/ ATV battery.

Once charged I would just stick the trickle charger on it for an hour a month. Does this generator have a charging circuit? Sounds like, from the instructions, it does not. You may want to test fire it monthly as well.
01.gif

Thank you for clearing this up for me. Makes more sense now.

It's good practice to exercise your generator monthly....it will keep your carb from gumming up, it will burn off any condensate in the oil, it will keep the generator magnetized, AND the bonus here is that your battery will stay charged. Problem solved!

I'd keep a battery tender/maintainer on it.
On a small battery, you don't want to keep a constant 1.1 amp trickle on it - overdoing it in the long run.
If you don't keep a tender/maintainer on it, then as suggested, use the trickle an hour or so once a month.
Also as suggested, running the gen monthly is good for it. Perhaps the manual suggest this.
If your not going through much use/fuel, Stabil might be a good investment. I use the marine stuff myself.

Heard a lot of positive on the inexpensive Deltran Battery Tender Jr. I have the Tender Plus model for MCs.

If anything, the HF tenders which can cost around $5 on sale actually works.

So, I'd keep a maintainer on it, run it monthly & use stabil.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
If anything, the HF tenders which can cost around $5 on sale actually works.

Yes, the cheap Harbor Freight battery maintainers DO actually work. I've been using them for years on many different sized (amp/hr) 12v batteries from small motorscooter batteries on up to large group 27 boat batteries. It won't charge a battery that is down, it will only maintain one that already has a good charge. For this you will need the more expensive Battery Tender which will do both.

Last edited:
^ Although the HF float maintainer may not be loaded with bells & whistles, they work and are so affordable. Most of all, better than nothing.
They did just fine in my boat I used to have (4 batteries), now doing the job just fine in neighbors boat.
Have a few friends using the HF units and have never heard any complaints.
Not a bad investment for the bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back