Bad experience (X 4) with KYB strut mounts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I had new KYB struts and mounts installed in my 2005 Saturn Ion in March of this year. Almost immediately they began to make a clicking/ratcheting noise at low speed. The strut spring seemed to be binding which was making the noise. The mechanic (who installed them....I purchased the parts online and went with KYB over Monroe or Gabriel, because of their perceived better quality) said the mounts were making the noise. I thought it might get better with time but it never did and became very annoying. The online parts place sent me 2 new mounts (KYB part # SM5483) and I had a different mechanic install them...and same noise. After rechecking the installation he sent for a new Monroe quick mount and the noise went away on that side. Today I replaced the other KYB with a Monroe and the noise is entirely gone...THANKFULLY.
That is 4 out of 4 KYB mounts making noise.

The moral of the story is that the KYB mounts which were made in Thailand are G-A-R-B-A-G-E...and the Monroe's from Taiwan are decent and work much better.

I am out a lot of $$$ in labor because KYB is selling junk mounts...

Funny.

Someone else just recently created a thread and said that Monroe Mounts sucked, and the KYB he replaced them with were so much better, for his Saturn.

Gee, different application, different outcome.
Funny how everyone has different outcomes with a product when used on different vehicles.

BC.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Hes posted that problem repeatedly, expect it to be posted again soon.

Are you saying that I posted my KYB problem repeatedly or the guy with the bad Monroe's?

^I believe the latter, not to speak out of place.
grin2.gif

However, doesn't surprise I suppose. It's always a potential factor for a universal type compared to OE.

I know there must be load spec's, etc out there but who has them to compare an aftermarket part vs an OE? Ya know?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^I believe the latter, not to speak out of place.
grin2.gif

However, doesn't surprise I suppose. It's always a potential factor for a universal type compared to OE.

I know there must be load spec's, etc out there but who has them to compare an aftermarket part vs an OE? Ya know?

Correction: I called the Monroe a 'quick mount' while the actual name was 'Strut mate'.

When you view and feel the actual Monroe (plastic) bearing it's sturdier than KYB's plastic bearing. My guess is the KYB is being slightly pinched when tightened which causes the binding.

KYB is outsourcing parts production and it's showing up in cheap junky parts, IMO.

Somebody went through 8 Monroe quick struts before finding the ones which were not rattling. And he installed/removed all eight my himself. Look up anandtech forums

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Somebody went through 8 Monroe quick struts before finding the ones which were not rattling. And he installed/removed all eight my himself. Look up anandtech forums

I've used them plenty and never had a problem with them. Having said that, I do understand that they did have a production problem with some made for certain years on a Camry but that was so long ago you aren't going to find those in an auto parts store now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back