eneos sustina 0w20 mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can confidently report,as an unlicensed tribologist, that i am enjoying a 10.3% increase in gas mileage; before: 30mpg consistently with major brand synthetic 5w20; now: 33.3mpg with sustina 0w20; 365 miles on 11.05 gallons; this is combined mpg- 70% highway/ 30% city.

thankyou2.gif

35.gif

What car, what test parameters, what raw figures, how many tanks, how were the tanks filled, how was MPG calculated, how long did you average this out, how long were the drives, what type of fuel, what weather, what...

I am currently using Acura 0W20 SM.

I am getting what seems to be better mileage... I have to wait to see how many km's I'm at at half tank to start getting excited...

If I break 230km by the time I hit the half tank mark I'll be moving in the right direction... If I hit 250km this oil is a keeper... I do mostly city driving with cool starts in the morning even now... Then after I fill up I take down my distance travelled off of my trip odometer and write it on the back of the bill and calculate.

Cheers!

Removing that NHRA parachute from the back of the car will give you a 10% increase in MPG but not oil.

I use 5W-30 in my DI turbo and it churns it into 0W-20 so I get much better mileage in the second half of my OCI.

Last edited:
2012 hyundai elantra touring gls at; test parameters: under my normal, consistent, everyday driving circumstances- i'm a delivery driver subcontractor; raw numbers: filled up at 41,052 miles and again at 41,417 miles driving 365 miles; 33.3mpg for this one tankful; the same gas pump was used at the same gas station, filling the car to the same level, as close as possible;the mpg was calculated by hand using simple arithmetic; again, it was one and only one tankful; this drive was 70% highway and 30% city; top-tier 87 octane gas was used; it was 84 degreesF with little or no wind... this was my third tankful after changing to this oil; the first two tankfuls were 29 mpg and 31 mpg, respectfully; it is my educated guess that my mpg will level off at 5 to 7% improvement; ff rl 0w20 35mpg hypermileage; 15k to 39.5k: pp 5w20, chevron synthetic 5w 20, and gtx hm/ syn blend blend 5w20 all 30 mpg; possible sources of variation are number of gallons of gasoline used to fill up the car and unusually favorable driving conditions (less traffic, more freeway driving and optimum speeds.)

Originally Posted By: tribocessive
possible sources of variation are number of gallons of gasoline used to fill up the car and unusually favorable driving conditions (less traffic, more freeway driving and optimum speeds.)

I think you just stated the real reasons for improved fuel economy. Two fill ups is not enough data to draw a conclusion. Oil usually can make a 1-2% difference if switching oil weights but not so sure that would have as much effect going from a 5w to a 0w.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Removing that NHRA parachute from the back of the car will give you a 10% increase in MPG but not oil.

Good one!

The Sustina 0W-20 (actually all Sustina grades) are at the top of my list of most technically advanced motor oils and I certainly don't want to kerb any enthusiasm in trying these ultra high VI oils. If they were more reasonably priced up here I'd consider running them in all my cars but not for the fuel economy gains.

Their main advantage in terms of fuel economy will be on start-up and during the warming up period and in many short trip applications that can make up a high percentage of an engines running time.
Under such conditions particularly during the cold winter months a 10% fuel economy gain is not inconceivable since the reduction in oil drag is so dramatic, but in the summer with the engine already up to temperature much of the time, the advantages of a high VI oil have been largely mitigated.

Toyota Canada claims a 1-2% average fuel economy gain can be expected using their 216 VI 0W-20 vs a typical 5W-20 (with a VI in the 150 range). The 229 VI Sustina should offer a theoretical advantage over the Toyota oil but you'd likely need to test in a lab' to measure, likely being a small fraction of 1%.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
There are other variables. 10% is huge to say it's all the oil.

If for years somebody is using the same car on the same route day after day, and the one time he changes to a new brand oil and gets better mileage than ever before, it has to be something else??????

I see a 5-6% variation in my commute to/from work based on weather/traffic, and I didn't change my oil....

30mpg vs 33mpg = 10% = a whopping 3 miles per gallon; this was obtained using an oil with a vi of 229 and a HTHSV of 2.6cP; the only thing that is nonsense is to suggest that it wasn't even plausible; by the way, i welcome skepticism; go ahead and conduct your own investigation.

Originally Posted By: chiks
Is there any way one can measure the oil drag? That could be major factor.

Oil drag or excess viscosity even applies to a light high VI oil like the Sustina 0W-20 on start-up even on the hottest days of summer. And that oil will still need to heat up to over 75C to have an operational viscosity lighter than a 40wt and over 90C to have an OV of a heavy 20wt.

Yes there is a very easy way to measure oil drag and that is with an oil pressure gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back