2009 GSXR600 rotella vs motul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just trying to decide between running rotella or motul

I just ran the rotella Dino for 1500km but it's already turned pretty dark

Should I switch to rotella synthetic or is the motul 5100 or 300v a better choice?

Rotella T6 is a great priced oil with a great track record. It can be easily found. That's what I'd go with, a lot cheaper than motul.

Originally Posted By: Gravis18

But has the shifting quality/feel degraded? Oil color alone doesn't mean much.

Quote:

Should I switch to rotella synthetic or is the motul 5100 or 300v a better choice?

Out of these two, I'd expect Motul to be more shear stable, but does it meet JASO MA spec? If so, I'd probably run it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

But has the shifting quality/feel degraded? Oil color alone doesn't mean much.

Quote:

Out of these two, I'd expect Motul to be more shear stable, but does it meet JASO MA spec? If so, I'd probably run it.

I haven't had the bike long enough to notice a difference in shifting but it is smooth and not notchy at all. My only concern is that the valvetrain may be getting slightly noisier but it could just be me paying more attention with switching oils.

The bike only has 6000miles on it so I want to make sure I am using the right oil.

Depends how long between intervals you want to go, how hard you ride, in what conditions ect.

Rotella has a fine track record and is a darn good all purpose oil for shared sump bikes on shorter intervals.

I ran the rotella Dino in my 4 stroke motocross bike but I changed it every weekend.

Would the synthetic rotella hold up slightly better? I would like to see the oil look clean for at least 2500kms because at soon as it turns dark my gut instinct is to drop the oil.

Actually the T6 Syn Rotella has shown to shear more easily in a wet clutch/shared sump system over the standard Dino.

And yes, just because an oil is dark does not mean its worn out. I have had some oils go dark in 1k miles in my car and I have some look clean after 5k.

I've always noticed the rotella Dino to go very dark in my motocross bike also even after a day of racing.

Why is this? Is it not better to have an oil that stays clean/clear?

I've always noticed the rotella Dino to go very dark in my motocross bike also even after a day of racing.

Why is this? Is it not better to have an oil that stays clean/clear?

No it just makes you feel better. Only bad if its dark and going out of grade. If you want, run the Rotella for however long you are comfy doing so, and have a used oil analysis done. It will tell you how fast your bike is chewing up the oil.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
When the oil turns dark, doesn't that generally mean the detergents are doing its job?

Either that or some chemicals in the oil naturally turn dark when exposed to high temps. Again, no cause for concern.

BTW, in diesel engines, oil will turn dark within first 100 miles. Doesn't mean it's not longer working.

So is there a preferred oil change interval using Dino vs synthetic if my oil color theory is out the window? I was going to do it around 3000kms regardless?

When your shifting becomes notchy, that's usually a good indicator that you should change your oil, regardless if it's mineral or synthetic. Depending on a particular engine and how hard you ride it, some people make it to 3K miles (5k km) on Rotella dino before that happens. I would expect an oil like Motul 300V to go even longer.

FYI, I've got about 2K miles on Rotella in my Vulcan right now and all is well, but the two engines aren't exactly apples to apples.

Alright so irrespective of cost what is the best oil to run?

Rotella Dino
Rotella synthetic
Motul 300v

Last edited:
Our 3 Gixxer 600 track bikes really work well with the maxima ultra stuff.

There has been some great UOA of the maxima oils done by member Sunrah.

Rotella Dino
Rotella synthetic
Motul 300v

Motul 300v has more than 30 World Champion titles and victories at all the major events. Rotella has never won a professional motorcycle race. You do the math.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

Rotella Dino
Rotella synthetic
Motul 300v

Motul 300v has more than 30 World Champion titles and victories at all the major events. Rotella has never won a professional motorcycle race. You do the math.

And they used to put STP in all those race cars, too.

Last edited:
If you're not doing long track days on your gixxer, try them all and decide for yourself which one provides smoother shifting.

I decided I don't like T6 as much as PC Duron XL in my SV650.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back