Pennzoil 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I was curious if anyone has any info on this oil yet? I cannot seem to find anything good. Furthermore, it seems as if stores are not carrying it yet?

Thanks for any possible help

Originally Posted By: dave1251
As far as info Quattro Pete has posted the TDS on here.
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007304050_201207271338.pdf

That's a pretty weak tech sheet. It only has values for KV100, Pour Point, MRV, and CCS.

And the wording makes me glance sideways. In one paragraph, they write:

PENNZOIL ULTRA™ FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL is specially formulated for consumers who are committed to
buying a synthetic lubricant, and who want nothing but our best motor oil.

And in the next paragraph they write:

Not for use in Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and other European engines.

So we are left to conclude that Pennzoil's best is not good enough for European engines.

The 0w40 is kind of an unknown. I'm sure it's very good, especially if it's using the Ultra chemistry. To be the best though, it will have to be VERY good as we all know M1 0w40 is an outstanding oil.

I'd love to see Ultra 0w20/30/40 readily available.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

And the wording makes me glance sideways. In one paragraph, they write:

PENNZOIL ULTRA™ FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL is specially formulated for consumers who are committed to
buying a synthetic lubricant, and who want nothing but our best motor oil.

And in the next paragraph they write:

Not for use in Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and other European engines.

So we are left to conclude that Pennzoil's best is not good enough for European engines.

Yup. That is one big marketing fail. Alas, we have already known that marketing and distribution is not something that SOPUS does well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
In a Small US market for this product, I suspect they prob dont want to waste advert $$.

Good point. I can see that. Is the Euro car market that small here in the U.S.?

The PU 0w-40 (based on the literature that we've seen) is not meant for the Euro car market. It's meant for a handful of Chrysler engines.

The PU 5w-40 is meant for the Euro car market. That market in itself may not be that small, however, many of the owners of newish Euro cars don't change their own oil. They get it done at the dealer, either because the maintenance is included in the price of the car or because they are just not the kind of people who work on their cars. So, there isn't all that much potential for large PU 5w-40 sales at the retail level, especially that SOPUS would have to also convince all these retail shoppers to choose their oil and not M1 0w-40 which is already sitting on the shelf.

With that said, I've seen a number of PU 5w-40 ads in various car magazines. I think this was mainly done to build a premium brand image by Pennzoil associating itself with Ferrari (PU 5w-40 carries an official Ferrari approval). Of course, all the regular PU grades have nothing in common with Ferrari, but an average consumer will probably not notice...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The PU 0w-40 (based on the literature that we've seen) is not meant for the Euro car market. It's meant for a handful of Chrysler engines.

The PU 5w-40 is meant for the Euro car market. That market in itself may not be that small, however, many of the owners of newish Euro cars don't change their own oil. They get it done at the dealer, either because the maintenance is included in the price of the car or because they are just not the kind of people who work on their cars. So, there isn't all that much potential for large PU 5w-40 sales at the retail level, especially that SOPUS would have to also convince all these retail shoppers to choose their oil and not M1 0w-40 which is already sitting on the shelf.

With that said, I've seen a number of PU 5w-40 ads in various car magazines. I think this was mainly done to build a premium brand image by Pennzoil associating itself with Ferrari (PU 5w-40 carries an official Ferrari approval). Of course, all the regular PU grades have nothing in common with Ferrari, but an average consumer will probably not notice...

Ah ok, thanks QP.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
Hello all,

I was curious if anyone has any info on this oil yet? I cannot seem to find anything good. Furthermore, it seems as if stores are not carrying it yet?

Thanks for any possible help

Why concern yourself with Pennzoil 0w40.....when you can easily get the best.....Mobil 1 0w40....which IMO is one of the best oils on the market.

M1 0w40 is a bit thicker than some may need (HTHS of 3.8). Still, can't beat the rest of the specs. Some of us are just curious to see what else is out there.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
... Mobil 1 0w40....which IMO is one of the best oils on the market.
IN Walmart, maybe
smile.gif
Only a low percentage of PCM in North America use/need a heavy 30 grade; this appellation is moot in a Budweiser society.
Ps: Shell Helix Ultra and Fuchs LL product with similar approval list will give similar (or better) performance under the hood. EXxonMobil isnt the "last word" in lubricants.

Originally Posted By: dparm
M1 0w40 is a bit thicker than some may need (HTHS of 3.8). Still, can't beat the rest of the specs. Some of us are just curious to see what else is out there.

Right.
M1 0W-40 has earned the status of being a benchmark oil.
Consiquently when a new oil hits the market with similar viscosity characteristics a comparison is inevitable.

I'm impressed with PU 0W-40 and the fact that it will survive 300F oil temp's in a Chrysler SRT at the track. I would consider it a valid substitute for M1 0W-40 dispite it not being certified for Porsche and BMW yet.
So it comes down to price and availability and that's where M1 0W-40 has the advantage.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: dparm

Right.
M1 0W-40 has earned the status of being a benchmark oil.
Consiquently when a new oil hits the market with similar viscosity characteristics a comparison is inevitable.

I'm impressed with PU 0W-40 and the fact that it will survive 300F oil temp's in a Chrysler SRT at the track. I would consider it a valid substitute for M1 0W-40 dispite it not being certified for Porsche and BMW yet.
So it comes down to price and availability and that's where M1 0W-40 has the advantage.

+1

Well said.

I can assure anyone that if it made the SRT guys happy it's a great oil.

Those guys are serious! Anyone seen a new Viper yet? Totally transformed. And the Dart II SRT4 is going to be double tough with AWD a possibility.

SRT's are generally track ready right out of the box, and this is their oil, so it's likely to be quite stout.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Those guys are serious! Anyone seen a new Viper yet? Totally transformed. And the Dart II SRT4 is going to be double tough with AWD a possibility.

SRT's are generally track ready right out of the box, and this is their oil, so it's likely to be quite stout.

Good point Steve
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My personal believe is that SRT went to their supplier SOPUS and said this is what we want and make it happen. Thus PU 0W-40 was born.

Instead of creating a new thread with questions about Pennzoil SRT 0w40, I decided to post my question in an excisting thread. I drive a 2009 Scion xB with the 2.4L 2AZ-FE engine that has no measurable consumption. I have Pennzoil 0w40 in the sump. 4200 miles on the oil. I drive for Uber, so my engine is operating for up to 12 hours at a time. Mixture of idle and driving, all kinds of driving, but generally 50% highway 50% city. One thing I have noticed is after an extended period of idling my engine develops a slight "cricket rattle", or so it sounds like. That noise does not go away until I let the engine cool off for 5-7 hours. Previous fill was Pennzoil Euro 5w40 and it had the same symptoms. And none of the oils before that have seen such regime that Uber driving causes. Toyota recommends 0w20, but I am using 0w40. QUESTION: Seems like this severe driving is thinning oil out too much, even though it is a 40wt. What damage would a 0w20 do in the same driving and hot Charlotte climate?

If 0w-20 is what's recommended, then that's what I would run, regardless if you drive for Uber or otherwise. It's not like you're going to the track or towing a trailer up a 10% incline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back